Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Minnesota 80's racing, stories,people and pics
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > The Tracks We Raced
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161
Guest200901
QUOTE (B. Apold @ Jul 31 2008, 08:04 AM) *
Don't race until your 110%. You may fall again because your limb is a hurt'n.... I smashed the palm of my hand last year and it was no good for riding for months. It would feel okay and the minute I road it would go back to the intense pain again...

Yeah, but ur a pizzbaby
King of Pipeline
I didn't know what was going to happen with that mountain bike dude.. But, it's tough on those bikes to go the distance on that track.. That was a good race last night.. I did get first, but as usaul it wasn't easy..

Justin good racing by you also..
B. Apold
QUOTE (Mark Conley @ Jul 31 2008, 01:15 PM) *
Yeah, but ur a pizzbaby

Listen smart Yass! Matt saw me crash and it hurt. I didn't go to the barn once in Nov or Dec last year because of that. popcorm1.gif
King of Pipeline
Get the cruiser back out.. That's all the matters...
Justin Miller
QUOTE (B. Apold @ Jul 31 2008, 08:04 AM) *
Don't race until your 110%. You may fall again because your limb is a hurt'n.... I smashed the palm of my hand last year and it was no good for riding for months. It would feel okay and the minute I road it would go back to the intense pain again...

I noticed lat night laying in bed, that where my collarbone connects to my sternum, it sticks out a good 1/2 or so further then the right side.
Needless to say, I have a doc appt. tomorrow morning.
I probably should not have raced last night, but I really did take it easy. I adjusted my riding style to reduce the pain. I am very comfortable on that track as I spend a lot of time there working and riding. I have a pretty high pain threshold, and a bad attitude when it comes to wanting to be tough and working through the pain. Guess that is a result of being in HS wresling.

I will keep you all posted on what the doc says. Hopfullly I can still ride. I had to miss the state race last year, as my wife ended up in the hospital that weekend and I had to handle the kids at the track on my own. It is hard to keep an eye on a two year old when you are racing your moto! I don't want to miss it again this year.
wds
It always bothers me when this discussion isn't on the first page.
Glad to see y'alls still out racing, I gotta get out at least ONCE this summer.
-Bill
WBL BMXer - aka Chucky
QUOTE (wds @ Aug 1 2008, 10:15 AM) *
It always bothers me when this discussion isn't on the first page.
-Bill

I agree Bill.

I don't know if you're busy tonight, but Faribault is running a late night race under the lights. Registration is from 8-9pm tonight. I don't know if I can race yet, but there should be a few guys to run with.
King of Pipeline
What's this about Faribault? tonight is the late race... HMMMMM>>>
B. Apold
Who's going to the Viktor Classic in St. CLoud tomorrow??? O'l Texas himself rode the Goldwing up to race. I'm in!!
wds
Man, I totally should have gone to Faribault last night! Wish I'd read this BEFORE late last night.
Mainly because if I had been at Faribault, I wouldn't have put this huge gash in my leg trying a stupid trick!

OUCH!
-Bill
Guest200901
QUOTE (wds @ Aug 2 2008, 10:39 AM) *
Man, I totally should have gone to Faribault last night! Wish I'd read this BEFORE late last night.
Mainly because if I had been at Faribault, I wouldn't have put this huge gash in my leg trying a stupid trick!

OUCH!
-Bill

hOlY CrAp bIlL sYmPsOn!!!!! Ouch is right!

You freestylers should use clips!
wds
Ha! Let me tell you if I had clips, I'd be complaining about a serious knee injury on this one.
I'll take the 6" gash.

Though I will say we should be using shin guards. You know like the one in my freaking car!!!
-Bill
Guest200901
Speaking of Clips.....

This rare photo showed up in my email.

Not sure who it is, but this is clearly a "I can't and never have been able to ride a wheelie" incident

B. Apold
Just got back from the Stah-Cloud DBL pointer race.... and boy this track is off the hook crazy. The jumps are really steep, like NBL steep and if you're not on your game they'll buck you right off.. The jumps are huge and lips to match. Anyway, enough *****'n.... I could get use to it I suppose I probably won't. LOL! I have yet to ever see a track this jumping/manuling technical... Its really fast and makes it even harder. No race for me tomorrow.... Good luck everyone!!!! and careful.

Brad 3rd 29 over expert, should of have 2nd, but lost by an inch, and to boot I bonked my start. Not sure what happened there.

Viktor 4th 29 over Expert (great to see o'l Viktor)

Moe- 2nd lost by and inch to the same expert guy that beat me by an inch...

DC- sat out today due to an injury.

Small OS turnout. Moe hardly had a class
Guest200901
QUOTE (B. Apold @ Aug 2 2008, 04:54 PM) *
Brad 3rd 29 over expert, should of have 2nd, but lost by an inch, and to boot I bonked my start. Not sure what happened there.

Yeah-Yeah-Yeah...................................Did you sign up for the correct sponsor this time?

BTW, what ever happen the that Faction Team?

bIlL s. - You need to show up and enjoy the sport. You'll fit right in with the rest of the azzbruised-limpin'gimpers!

REALLY, come on out and play and have some fun.
B. Apold
QUOTE (Mark Conley @ Aug 3 2008, 05:33 AM) *
Yeah-Yeah-Yeah...................................Did you sign up for the correct sponsor this time?

There was no team sheet for ATR.

What do ya mean, yeah yeah yeah... It was an inch. I flubbed up on the last straight on the 14.7 jumps.... forgive me tongue.gif
MN2Z
"Not sure who it is, but this is clearly a "I can't and never have been able to ride a wheelie" incident"

Goat Father you're the best! Please be advised the following document is available for public sound translation under "Click-Here" for audio updates on Goat culture and after hours goat care with 90* tail angle. BAAAAA! Click on image to enlarge and find out why a "Phatt A$$ Goat is Sweet?"

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Guest200901
O, now this should be good. Won't be able to run for office I'm sure after the tapes are made public
B. Apold
QUOTE (Mark Conley @ Aug 3 2008, 01:34 PM) *
O, now this should be good. Won't be able to run for office I'm sure after the tapes are made public

Funny....

Mark I text you last night... I was watching "wipeout" on ABC TV, and OMG, its so funny... Anyone wants a good laugh, you have to watch that show...

DC, did you get any video of the mains??. I'd like to watch my main. I had gate 3 and I never ran that far over. All I remember is hearing the gate chant and looking up to watch the lights and I couldn't find them (LMAO), then the gate drops and my foot came off the pedal. I'd love to see that.....

Good luck racers today... Looks like rain. sad.gif
Guest200901
Short Cloud SQ race report....Wasn't there, only hear say, and don't know how the OS'ers did yet:

280 riders-50+ motos, 2 rain delays, but races were completed old school style in mud
B. Apold
QUOTE (Mark Conley @ Aug 4 2008, 02:01 AM) *
Short Cloud SQ race report....Wasn't there, only hear say, and don't know how the OS'ers did yet:

280 riders-50+ motos, 2 rain delays, but races were completed old school style in mud

Damn I should have waited and raced Viktor yesterday instead. He would have OS me in the mudd in a big way...

Boy that must have been slick in the rain/mud.... Yikes!
STRIKE
Oh Bill, that's just nasty man. What trick were you trying when you acquired that new body art?
Paul Springer
I lasted 47 seconds with pro boxer Butterbean.

Check It Out

Who knew...
Viktor
I got home today at about 1:00 pm. It was a long ride and everything went well. Hit a little rain here and there. Interestingly, I stopped in Iowa to take cover as a storm passed over. It started to clear so I went out to the motorcycle to get ready to go. The bike was parked under the gas pump cover/overhang. Just then lightning hit, and I mean hit. It sent a pounding vibration through me no shock thank goodness. I looked up and there were sparks flying off the cover/overhang over the gas pumps. Ouch, that was close.

I had a great time in MN. Its always nice to visit old friends. In case you are interested, here are a couple pictures from the trip. One link is to a driving video (about 7 mb).
Riding Video (One handed riding, not typically recommended)

This is why I'm not faster - I spend too much time riding this "bike". biggrin.gif
King of Pipeline
I hope to take a trip like that someday.. On motorcycle.. Sounds like you got some good stories.. It always sucks to hit rain. So how long did it take you to get back? Did you hit anymore rain?
That is a cool setup you got there. I'd be riding that too.
Gary Walton
Viktor, glad you had a good trip. Stories from the road are always the best. Sorry we didn't get to hand out more. St. Cloud was sort of a cluster. Sweet trailer. Sounds like a most excellent ride for the most part.

Take care,

Gary
Guest200901
Vic - Glad you came and went safely, sorry I missed you during your visit.

BTW, is this you trying to make some extra cash?

>>>>>>>>>>>LINK HERE<<<<<<
B. Apold
Vik, yes it was good to see you again. I bet Sunday was kinda crazy huh? See at the Condo if you make it.

Brad
King of Pipeline
I'm feeling nice today. If one of you guys from Mn. want this issue, i'll sell my for $100.00 less than this guy.. Let me know..
http://cgi.ebay.com/bmx-action-magazine-de...86.c0.m14.l1318
Guest200901
Naw, I'd rather give the full 2g's to Bobby Encinas
John Sandberg
Viktor - Great to see you, glad you made it home.

Gary - I tried finding you a few times on Sunday, but you were away from the booth and probably cutting deals with Mike Decker.

B. Apold
QUOTE (John Sandberg @ Aug 6 2008, 03:16 PM) *
Viktor - Great to see you, glad you made it home.

Gary - I tried finding you a few times on Sunday, but you were away from the booth and probably cutting deals with Mike Decker.

John, how did you and everyone do on Sunday? That must have been a wild ride on that track in the rain.
Guest200901
Psycho? Ditch? I can't remember which one of you guys work on the 35W Bridge? Wasn't you that got hurt was it? Hope not.
King of Pipeline
Mankato was stoke tonight!

Guest200901
You were the only one there?
B. Apold
QUOTE (Mark Conley @ Aug 7 2008, 03:45 AM) *

LMAO....
Justin Miller
Looks like the only people left at that point was KOP and the ice cream lady!

If we had any picnic tables, you know what picture would have been taken!

Remember KOP, no racing next Wed. We are working on the track to get it ready for the redline cup race.
John Sandberg
Looks like the only people left at that point was KOP and the ice cream lady!

LOL classic!

Brad: My boy finished second, nabbed a sweet trophy and, in the slang of this board, was very stoke. I didn't race because it appeared the race would be a rain out. The track actually held up quite well. Not a mud race at all.

Guest200901
I think KOP is the Ice Cream Lady

WBL BMXer - aka Chucky
QUOTE (John Sandberg @ Aug 7 2008, 09:18 AM) *
LOL classic!

Brad: My boy finished second, nabbed a sweet trophy and, in the slang of this board, was very stoke. I didn't race because it appeared the race would be a rain out. The track actually held up quite well. Not a mud race at all.

Congrats to Cal on the 2nd place. He looked really good at the Faribault SQR.
B. Apold
QUOTE (John Sandberg @ Aug 7 2008, 02:18 PM) *
LOL classic!

THanks for the update John and tell that little guy congrats.....
WBL BMXer - aka Chucky
Got back on the horse last night in Faribault and things went well. It was fun racing again.
King of Pipeline
Kraker beat everybody at Faribault last night. I wish I was watching the gate lights in the main. When the gate dropped I was still sitting there, not sure what I was thinking...

I was watching the Colbert Report last night, and they mentioned BMX...The guys like, what is that, big guys on little bikes?

When is BMX supposed to be on TV???
WBL BMXer - aka Chucky
Jerry, it was fun racing with you last night. You looked really smooth jumping the doubles. I didn't want to push it, so tried to stay close to the ground last night.

The Olympic BMX races will be held on 8/20 (qualifying & 1/4's) and 8/21 (semi's & mains). I think the TV coverage will be somewhere around 8-10 pm our time, but I'm not sure I'm reading the time right.
King of Pipeline
I know the Olympics start today. I thought maybe they would be on sooner than that... How long are the Olympics? So we have to wait another week and a half? Thanks for the info...

That was fun last night.. I really like that track there.. It was good to be out too. I wanted to check that place out on a thursday.. My second moto..... Me racing against two 12 year old girls... That one almost beat me...
Paul Springer
QUOTE (WBL BMXer - aka Chucky @ Aug 8 2008, 08:20 AM) *
Got back on the horse last night in Faribault and things went well. It was fun racing again.

I am glad you are back in the game, I knew you would be back soon and as fast as ever. Thank goodness your young : )
Guest200901
QUOTE (WBL BMXer - aka Chucky @ Aug 8 2008, 08:20 AM) *

B. Apold
QUOTE (King of Pipeline @ Aug 8 2008, 01:57 PM) *
I know the Olympics start today. I thought maybe they would be on sooner than that... How long are the Olympics? So we have to wait another week and a half? Thanks for the info...

That was fun last night.. I really like that track there.. It was good to be out too. I wanted to check that place out on a thursday.. My second moto..... Me racing against two 12 year old girls... That one almost beat me...

8-8-08 to 8-24-08. So just over 3 weeks. BMX is towards the end.

Check this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVLJp4iLN4Q
Shawn Sheely MN-1
Anyone racing on Sunday? got the itch...
B. Apold
I think there's a bunch of races going on this weekend.

I'm out for a while. Probably Rehbein's (end-o-Sept)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.