Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Minnesota 80's racing, stories,people and pics
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > The Tracks We Raced
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161
Rex22
Brad, know where this is? I don't know who is in first and second, 3rd is Bruce S. he used to go racing with me, I'm in last.

Rex
Guest200901
Rex- GREAT to have you bringing up the SO. part of MN BMX!

You and dad were Icon's down here! Keep postin' and bringin on the photos and stories!
B. Apold
QUOTE (Rex22 @ Feb 19 2008, 04:59 AM) *
Brad, know where this is? I don't know who is in first and second, 3rd is Bruce S. he used to go racing with me, I'm in last.

Rex

Rex, that is soooo cool! Keep bring'n it!

Ummmm, its the Austin Indoor (LOL) and based on your #82 numbers being ABA numbers I'd say the year must have been 81.
King of Pipeline
More from the Winter Blast.....
Ditch and MN. freestyle legend, Krt work on the presentation....

The racers seemed to dominate in attendance this time....
King of Pipeline
QBP had they're Frostbike this weekend.. I didn't even know.. check out some of the pics....
http://defgrip.net/blogs/rich/?p=64
Paul Springer
Major props to Cal Christenesen, check it out (round 2)

bnd
http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/index....wtopic=27008487

Check it out!

b.
Jeff Manning
Very cool..

Kinda made me sick to my stomach though..
King of Pipeline
Let's hear on the stuff from the weekend......
Paul Springer
It was an awesome weekend of racing, Race for Life Friday, State Qualifier Saturday & triple points REDLINE Cup Sunday. Everyone did real well, nobody got hurt. The stand out of the weekend was Scott Kraker tripling (600+ points) by winning everyday, the kid has been working hard and it is clearly paying off. GREAT JOB Scott! Jeff Moe ran strong, DC did really well with a bum shoulder, Rod & I battled back and forth, Doug Carlson showed up today and took second to Moe BUT he took $320 in the 50/50 drawing. Cal Christensen did great recently moving up in to intermediate. All in all it was an absolute blast and it is starting to feel like Spring is around the corner.
B. Apold
Damn, I wished I could have come out for a while. The barn is generally open until April or is DUG running races all year there????? I think he should do the Elk River track again.

Good job guys on the places you finished. Chucky is still 35-40 right?

I scored a GT ultrabox 20" yesterday, so Mr. Moe, brush off the dust on your 20" cuz I'm switch'n gears and going 20" tongue.gif haaaahaaaa.

What a bike! It looks like the swing arm off a YZ-250.

WBL BMXer - aka Chucky
Brad, yes I'm still in the 36-40 class for another year. 40 is coming real soon.

Pauli is right, this weekend was an absolute blast. What a great showing for BMX in Minnesota. The barn looked the best I've ever seen and the crew did a great job all weekend.

I came close to a perfect weekend, but some guy named Lindsay spoiled my fun on Friday night. I had a blast racing Lance White this weekend. We are going to have some great battles this summer when his shoulder gets better.
Paul Springer
Looks like we have an OS tri-fecta going to Kearney, Nebraska this weekend. I just got a call from Jeff Moe looking for something to do, heck ya we are going to have some fun. ATR (Kraker, Moe, Springer) is rolling west bound. Is anyone from The Faction Racing squad heading out there? Who exactly is on the Faction racing team? I keep checking back on the site but haven't seen anything (?) Mikko waz up brutha...
King of Pipeline
Man, that would be sweet.. I wish I could go. You guys have all the fun. I can barely make it out of my county.
Keep us posted.. I want to know who's on the team too. There should be full profiles up..
Guest200901
QUOTE (King of Pipeline @ Feb 25 2008, 11:24 PM) *
Man, that would be sweet.. I wish I could go. You guys have all the fun. I can barely make it out of my county.
Keep us posted.. I want to know who's on the team too. There should be full profiles up..

Dear DopeSmoker,
If you were to pay attention to www.vintagebmx.com via-(Springer' signature, just above your post) and a Minnesota site called www.alltheracing.com , or maybe JUST PAY ATTENTION you may find a little more rider profile information that has been made available. HERE, let me give you a DIRECT LINK: http://alltheracing.com/atrteam/ <<<<JUST CLICK THERE JERRY SEVERSON

Some of Team ATR:

scott Boecker
MC , KOP was talking about the faction team, not team ATR.
Guest200901
QUOTE (scott Boecker @ Feb 26 2008, 12:50 AM) *
MC , KOP was talking about the faction team, not team ATR.

Ooops....stuck my foot in my mouth before thinking.... rolleyes.gif
B. Apold
QUOTE (Mark Conley @ Feb 26 2008, 07:05 AM) *
Ooops....stuck my foot in my mouth before thinking.... rolleyes.gif

Haaaahaaaaa. That was funny!

Scotty, howz the new homestead?
WBL BMXer - aka Chucky
I heard he's working on building a dirt course so he can practice saying "Brad Apold sucks" while doing a back flip. laugh.gif

wds
If you bought a Faction Jersey - you're on the team.
If you bought a Faction Plate - you're on the team.
If you've ever been to a Faction event - you're on the team.
If you just wanna say "I'm on Team Faction" - you're on the team.
-Bill
WBL BMXer - aka Chucky
Bill, it was great seeing you on Saturday. How long did you end up staying? I couldn't believe how long it took to get through all the races. I raced the first moto around 2:30 and didn't race the main till close to 6:00.
King of Pipeline
Yeah,,, See,, The dope is on the other foot..
I can't afford that stuff. are you nuts.. Can someone donate a jersey so I can be on a team? I'm a lonely privateer...
B. Apold
QUOTE (King of Pipeline @ Feb 26 2008, 03:04 PM) *
Yeah,,, See,, The dope is on the other foot..
I can't afford that stuff. are you nuts.. Can someone donate a jersey so I can be on a team? I'm a lonely privateer...

Nothing wrong with being a bmx loner. I accomplished more than I ever did as "team white turtleneck and Levis".

Chucky, Bmx Scotty will have his work cut out for him in a few more months once the baby arrives. I'm the poster child for "no time for nothing but my kids".... Of course I wouldn't have it any other way...

Good luck Nebraska National bound guys. You'll all do great there. See ya the following Friday at the barn. 20" Brad will be there.
wds
Jerry - You're on the team.
-Bill
Ted Carl
I guess I'm picked last again....

~~~~sigh~~~~

laugh.gif tongue.gif
scott Boecker
The house rocks, Pauli is the man. If your looking for a house goto pauli. Im 8min to the barn so I think you will be seeing me more.

Brad, the barn is closed this weekend, but next week Im in 4 some riding.
King of Pipeline
I can chip in, if All the Racing Team, needs help...
mikkopeters
QUOTE (wds @ Feb 26 2008, 02:18 PM) *
If you bought a Faction Jersey - you're on the team.
If you bought a Faction Plate - you're on the team.
If you've ever been to a Faction event - you're on the team.
If you just wanna say "I'm on Team Faction" - you're on the team.

If you want to take a Sharpie and write Team Faction on a t shirt- you're on the team.

You never know who is on the "team". Could be your brother, mom, best buddy, high school sweetheart... you never know.

Kick some butt this weekend fellers!
B. Apold
QUOTE (scott Boecker @ Feb 26 2008, 06:09 PM) *
The house rocks, Pauli is the man. If your looking for a house goto pauli. Im 8min to the barn so I think you will be seeing me more.

Brad, the barn is closed this weekend, but next week Im in 4 some riding.

I know there closed this Friday. I was refering to the Friday after the National. I would guess your going to Nebraska?
Guest200901
Old Schooler's and New Schooler's, our friend and competitor, Russ Newcomb and his girlfriend Nancy good use some help and our support

Please PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS AND INFORMATION

-
mikkopeters
Done deal, MC... thanks for putting that page together.

Nancy and Russ- the Peterson family will be thinking of you two. smile.gif
Jeff Manning
Yeah, Mark thanks for the posting..

Hey Mikko, hows it going. Get a hold of me fugger. biggrin.gif

Good luck to all the racers going to Nebraska for the National. Last time I was there was for the Cornhusker Cup, early eighties. Greg Grubbs was just starting puberty.
B. Apold
QUOTE (Jeff Manning @ Feb 27 2008, 02:42 PM) *
Yeah, Mark thanks for the posting..

Hey Mikko, hows it going. Get a hold of me fugger. biggrin.gif

Good luck to all the racers going to Nebraska for the National. Last time I was there was for the Cornhusker Cup, early eighties. Greg Grubbs was just starting puberty.

Jeff, didn't you and I (and Howie) drive down to the Huskers? I sure that was you. could have been Troy though. I got 3rd in 15x main, if I remember the year correctly.

I should go to this National and try it. I'm afraid I will then be hooked again. I'm scared! ohmy.gif
mikkopeters
MANNING! I'll give you a call to-nite.

Sharpen your pencils, the Faction Game Show is now posted on MinnesotaFaction.com

Springer, you get my VM?
Shawn Sheely MN-1
QUOTE (mikkopeters @ Feb 27 2008, 03:56 PM) *
Sharpen your pencils, the Faction Game Show is now posted on MinnesotaFaction.com

I want to play the game, but I have to be on MicroSluff IE to see it?
mikkopeters
I only have IE machines at the office and home, try and run it- if you have problems, LMK- I may have a workaround. smile.gif
wds
No dice on Safari or Firefox.
-Bill
mikkopeters
This is as primative as it gets. Text only questions. Print them off and have someone read them to you.
Look for the answers next week:

1. What company made the Mauler, Bronco, OM Flyer and Quadangle?
2. *this was a video question only*
3. Harry Leary's signature bike was the Diamond Back ??_?
4. What soda was known as the Thirst Crusher?
5. What year did the Minnesota Faction hold the first OS MN BMX BBQ?
6. What does FMF stand for?
7. What company welded the first Haro Freestyler?
8. What company is credited with creating the first tubular BMX fork?
9.Name 2 of Stu Thomsens primary sponsors as a pro before 1985:
10. The Haro FST was designed for _______ _______ and _______
11.In what year did BMXA celebrate their 10th anniversary?
12. Who invented the Potts mod?
13. What did B.U.M.S. stand for?:
14. After leaving Red Line, Linn Kastan invented a unique fork called the ________ _________
15. The Quadangle was originally called the __________________
16.What was the name of Freestylin’’Magazine’s halfpipe?
17. What was the nickname of this rider known for wearing work boots?________
18.Name 2 major bike companies Gary Ellis rode for as a pro:
19. *this was a video question only*
20. In what year was the first pro class race?
21. The GT in GT BMX means what?
22. What year did JMC sponsor their first BMX team?
23. What was Rich Sigur’s nickname?
24. SE's first freestyle specific frame was called:
25. Ron Wilkerson filled his moms Jacuzzi with this substance:
26. Who invented the ACS Rotor?
27. The Potts Mod II involved what modification?
28. What rider ran a rear brake lever on each side of his bars to do "Eddie Airs"?
29. What rider is credited with doing the first no handed airs on vert?
29.1 Shawn Sheely's bike shop was called:
29.2 Brad Apold was sponsored by what BMX manu?
30. Dale Matson ran local contests called the:
31. Mark Conley started racing BMX in: a. 1975 b. 1976 c.1876 d.1977
32. This MN BMX company moved from MN to IL to Arizona before being run into the ground by the new owner:
33. Sheely's Wheels sponsored what trick team?
34. This bike shop was located off University Ave in Fridley and sponsored Kurt Schmidt as an AM:
35. Marty Schlesinger was sponsored by what manu:
36. The 2 HIP KOV was to be held at this facility before being moved to an indoor track in Le Sewer MN:
37. Hans Nissen hails from this state:
38. Jeff Manning was sponsored by this bike shop in Brooklyn Park:
39. True or false: Gene Oberpriller turned pro in 1981
40. Dave Christensen broke his foot in this city:
41. John Sandberg got his heart broke in Las Vegas at this concert:
42. The BJ's in BJ's bike shop stood for:
43. Where was first MN ABA National held?
44. What two juiced up and crazy pros duked it out at said MN National?
45. Name the pro who won the first Rondo Classic :
46. Name the heir to the Spiegel catalog fortune who toured w/ Haro in 1986?
47. Mat Hoffman collected how much $$$ for landing the first flair?
48. What do these have in common: F-1, B-2, .5?
49. *this was a video question only*
50. What does name 3.1 XL mean in the frame made by JMC?
Rod B
QUOTE (Mark Conley @ Feb 26 2008, 09:07 PM) *
Old Schooler's and New Schooler's, our friend and competitor, Russ Newcomb and his girlfriend Nancy good use some help and our support

Please PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS AND INFORMATION

-

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Russ and Nancy. Stay strong.

The Byrnes Family
Paul Springer
Springer, you get my VM?

Yes, Embarq is the provider we switched our bundled service to.

Russ is one of the great ones, donation sent! I think of you and Nancy everyday and pray for her recovery! Be strong brutha, I wish I could make it to the spaghetti dinner but I will be in Nebraska.
Guest200901
Thanks Mike, Rod, Jeff and Paul for paying attention and acknowledging a friend in need of support.

I have been amazed by what donations have come in so far. 50% of them don't even know Russ or Nancy. But, what they have in common is BMX and caring people.
bnd
I took this pic when I was out at St. Cloud last summer.

b.
mikkopeters
That's a great pic, Bruce, and a great cause.

Paul, thanks for the info- unfortunately they are still not in my area. sad.gif
scott Boecker
Pauli, Scott, and Moe good luck this weekend at the Nat'l. Post some pictures and keep us updated and have fun.

GO TEAM ATR !!!!
B. Apold
QUOTE (scott Boecker @ Feb 29 2008, 06:01 PM) *
Pauli, Scott, and Moe good luck this weekend at the Nat'l. Post some pictures and keep us updated and have fun.

GO TEAM ATR !!!!

Is this national on www.go211.com ?

And yes go team ATR and everyone else from Minne...
Guest200901
Moe is out! Got sick and could not go. Get well Jeffery. Have MaMa Moe rub hot oil on you, that well help laugh.gif

I just heard Springer has some Mad Ice Driving Skills! Luckly a Strehlo driving class was not taken.... Glad you boys are safe and there. Kraker is still scraping his shorts out I am sure.

We may have to come up with a Team ATR tagline "The Ride Across Iowa" Cuz we have a lot of Iowa snow driving stories now dating back to 1980, and they still continue!
Rod B
QUOTE (Mark Conley @ Feb 29 2008, 08:15 PM) *
Moe is out! Got sick and could not go. Get well Jeffery. Have MaMa Moe rub hot oil on you, that well help laugh.gif

I just heard Springer has some Mad Ice Driving Skills! Luckly a Strehlo driving class was not taken.... Glad you boys are safe and there. Kraker is still scraping his shorts out I am sure.

We may have to come up with a Team ATR tagline "The Ride Across Iowa" Cuz we have a lot of Iowa snow driving stories now dating back to 1980, and they still continue!

What now? This deserves a phone call.
Paul Springer
What now?

We are having a rough time trying to figure what SPF to use down here in the tropics of Nebraska. It is currently 73 degrees clear and sunny. We had a respectable day of racing and we are zonked. We both made our mains (36-40 & 41-45) with 10 riders in our classes. Kraker bobbled and took 8th, I was stuck with gate 1 and got 6th. All in all we are having a blast watching Doug Knollmaier clean out the all you can eat steak buffet. Boy Homer sure can eat... More racing action tomorrow morning at 8AM sharp. Hide you cattle Knollmaier is back home tomorrow, mooooooooooooooooooo...

B. Apold
A typical DUG day... Drink in one hand and his steak in the other. tongue.gif
Guest200901
QUOTE (Paul Springer @ Mar 1 2008, 04:15 PM) *
We are having a rough time trying to figure what SPF to use down here in the tropics of Nebraska. It is currently 73 degrees clear and sunny. We had a respectable day of racing and we are zonked. We both made our mains (36-40 & 41-45) with 10 riders in our classes. Kraker bobbled and took 8th, I was stuck with gate 1 and got 6th. All in all we are having a blast watching Doug Knollmaier clean out the all you can eat steak buffet. Boy Homer sure can eat... More racing action tomorrow morning at 8AM sharp. Hide you cattle Knollmaier is back home tomorrow, mooooooooooooooooooo...

Great job making it to that mains at a National Event! Our fearless bike shop partner, Mr. Tossitt said tonight...."If you can make into the mains at a national, you are doing great!

Be safe, and ride hard tomorrow!

PaPa Smurf

PS...Funny, Doug does remind me of Homer tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.