Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Minnesota 80's racing, stories,people and pics
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > The Tracks We Raced
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161
yayooBetcha
Awesome night of racing!

Some of the best racing action I have seen in a long time.
Guest200901
I'll let JT post the results, since I can't read the Barn Ladies scribbling angel.png

The turnout was even better then I expected, with many more showing up that was expected

The Queen of Pipeline made the trip!

A few of the original Team Rondo boy's, and their mascott DC, Big(little) E, Sandberger

The man in all his glory, running the gate for all the snot nose little punks 25+ years later. Gary is still Gary!

Paul Smith, Thanks for helping sponsor the Condo

BND- Your buddy ACE...Has he ever had such a smile on his face?

DC and Viktor, Dave even pulled out the 2Z plate from the attic for the evening. Vik, it was great to see the Minnesota BMX roots come all the way from Texas! Looking forward to seeing you again today

GeneO made it out, like many of these guys, he still never lost the skills!

Sheely, Sandypants, DC and GeneO...This was how close it was ALL night long

Springer is back to good health, and catching air

Once again, thank you all for making it a great night!

Howie Manning....The man who brought us MANY photos from BITD. I gave Howie the camera during the Mains to bring back a little true MN BMX feeling. I'll post some of his shots later

Guest200901

The rest of the photos can be found CLICKY ME!!!!!!!!!! Video will be later on

bnd
Quote -
"BND- Your buddy ACE...Has he ever had such a smile on his face?"

Only once, when we went to the "Key West Fire Island Barn Dance & Ho Down". Good times, good times.

Sounds like the event was awesome, good job fellas!
I'll go & check out the pics right now.

b.

Rod B
QUOTE (Mark Conley @ Jan 5 2008, 04:17 PM) *

The rest of the photos can be found CLICKY ME!!!!!!!!!! Video will be later on

A big thanks goes out to Mark and Paul for making this a top notch event. It sure was a blast.

John Sandberg
That was as fun as it gets. Good friends from a critically important period in life, getting together and letting the years melt away. And a little racing to boot!

Heartfelt thanks are in order:

To Mark, who made it all happen. Dude, you ARE Minnesota BMX.
To Paul, who clearly helped with tons of stuff.
To everyone who runs the show at Rehbeins. That there is an indoor track that we can ride throughout a Minnesota winter is utterly incredible.
To Gary Erdman. To see you run the gate at a BMX track was so...right. There isn't a good word for it, other than it made me feel like everything was right in the world.
To Viktor Danelius, who came from freakin' TEXAS to join us. Texas!
To Boeker, who came from a strange mating accident between Bozo the clown and me.

I so much apprecate getting to spend a few moments with Krone, Howie and Jeff Manning, Shawn Sheely, Gene O, Jeff Ayers, Randy Herget, Paul Cater, Mikko, Wendt, Miland, Apold, Gary & Ted Carl, Jeff Karsten, Gary Walton, Rod, Keith Christensen, Bill Lindsey, Rick Theisen, Dave 2z Christensen, Doug Carlson and everyone else.

I'm glad this is an annual event, because I didn't get to spend near enough time with everyone.

I've said it before and will say it again. BMX was and still is the greatest sport in the world.

Thanks, everyone, for making it that way.

-Qtip
Guest200901
Thanks for the kind words, this all would not have happened if it was not for all of you. I have heard many time from new school racers and families, that they can not believe how kind, polite and great all the old school racers are. I have to agree 130%. You people are awesome, and we all deserve a chance to spend time together and relive a part of our past that brought great memories to all of us...

With that sappy stuff said....

HERE IS THE VID OF THE MAINS AND THE TROPHY DASH!!!!

I quickly did this because people are waiting. when I get a chance I'll put up a better quality one
Shawn Sheely MN-1
Love the trophy dash - somebody yells "Sheely, you're getting beat by a pit bike!".

I can't remember the last time I had that much fun. What John said, it was great to see everyone again, can't wait to do it again.

Mark and Paul, I know how much work must have went it to this - thanks for carrying the torch. You guys are rad.
WBL BMXer - aka Chucky
The Condo was truly amazing. I couldn't believe the turnout and there wasn't nearly enough time to chat with everyone. Thank you Mark and everyone at the barn for a great event.

Hands down the highlight of the night was Boecker's Sandberg impersonation. That was classic.

Hopefully we can get together more often. Once a year isn't enough.
Jeff Manning
Sandberg you have such a great way with words. I second with every thing you mentioned.. wink.gif

Mark and Pauli- you guys did a snap-up job to say the least, my hat goes off to you..

If everyone had as much fun and good time as I did, then there was a great time that was had by all. I have to mention it was great to see some of the parents of the old schoolers, its been a long time. Some of these elders are the people I looked up to when I was a punk kid riding a BMX bike. It was so cool!

When I told my dad that there was going to be another get together a couple of months ago, and if he wanted to come, he said "sure, why not." He figured it was going to be like last year. I told him it was going to be much bigger and a different format, well I guess he wasn't listening.
He had such a good time he could not stop talking about it. Thats all I heard on the 2 hour trip home. He couldn't believe the great turnout and all the faces he hasn't seen in such a long time. He thinks it's so awesome that a group of great people can reunite again and enjoy themselves. I have to agree!

I have to admit that the racing was very exciting, you guys still look so fast, seriously. It was very intimidating for me to watch. I would fit better with the powder-puffs..

I'll say it again. I had a great time, and I can't wait until next year. Thanks to all.. biggrin.gif
J.T.
You can see more of the CONDO from a different angle CLICK HERE! :worried_anim:
Paul Springer
My ears are still touching in back from smiling so hard. I could not be more proud to be associated with such a great group of people. The connections and excitement is truly infectious. Thank you everyone for everything. We have already started talking about the next event and it is just going to continue to not disappoint. Mark, you pulled out all the stops with the stickers, banners, trophies, everything! I really look forward to continuing to stay in touch and riding with all of you! Most of all, somehow, everyone stayed upright (sorta) and nobody got hurt. There was some hardcore, impressive racing going on and a lot of talent continues to shine even after 25 years of midwest bmx. Vik, it was awesome meeting you and you are one top notch guy. Have a safe trip home to Texas and we definetly need you back for the next gathering. Boecker, your a kook! YOU GUYS ROCK!
Guest200901
Mr. Howie Manning did a better job at the photograhy then me!

He even got Boecker poppin a wheelie!

THE REST OF HOWIES CONDO PHOTOS HERE!!!

Paul Springer
I love this shot of Sheely with the look back at Sandboecker... priceless!

King of Pipeline
I can't believe someone caught that moment, on camera.. That was hands down the highlight of my night seeing Scot going flying of the side.. .. .. I still can't stop laughing.. I'm not sure why.. But, I'll save that picture for a long time..

I actually really banged my knee on my handlebars and it's swelled up.. and hurts..
I was stoked to be on the track again, and racing with you guys.. I can't believe how much fun I had.

Props to everybody who showed.. Keeping BMX fun....
Rydjors Dark Sider Black Sheep 1%'r
I want to say THANKS to the highest degree possible to everyone who had a hand in the manic madness that was our beloved Condo classic. I just cant imagine a better night...although I have to admit we are busting out of the Barn at this point. Any chance for the '09 we get the MPLS Armory... dig up a old Chevy Tahoe minitruck and place it in the center of the action with a lifesize cardboard cutout of Jack placed behind the wheel ...lifesize cardboard collectibles for those who cant get enough BMX history.

Seriously, it was the best time my family has had in long while. Thank You.

>>>
<<<<
>>>

And way to go Sheely...since it seems none of us from the Austin area have the cahones to ride anymore, you carried alot of weight representin' Mower County and made good.
Rex22
Wow! I just missed out on this Condo Race. Man that would have been a blast to go to or even race in. Although I didn't read all the pages, the ones I did see brought back alot of great memories. I still keep in touch with a few racers from Rochester, Bill Ford and Jeff Ringenberg. I see old man Lemke a few times a year at the stock car races, he still looks exactly the same!

Rex Welch
Rydjors Dark Sider Black Sheep 1%'r
Hey great youre here REX!! You are one of the core bmx riders from the 81/82/83 era in the trinity of Austin Riverside BMX-Rochester Gamehaven BMX-Albert Lea (Conley designed!)BMX. Ringenberg was my main southern MN competitor...he and I battled at Gamehaven every time -a great racer.
bmxmom
gentlemen congrats on what looks like a very successful event!
Ted Carl
Thanks to MC for everything. It was indeed awesome!

As expressed earlier, there just wasn't enough time to see and chat with everyone there! I really wanted to talk to quite a few peeps more.

Hats off to everyone, I couldn't be prouder than to be associated with such a great group of people! biggrin.gif
Shawn Sheely MN-1
QUOTE (RL @ Jan 6 2008, 03:00 AM) *
You can see more of the CONDO from a different angle CLICK HERE! worried_anim.gif

Clicky no worky, I'm on a Mac, no Firefox or Safari - there's a bad tag in there somewhere, cause I can see the HTML.

Fix Clicky please.
Shawn Sheely MN-1
I dug around and found the videos JT was trying to link (in case you had browser issues as well).

Go here: Condo Classsic Videos and scroll down for the vids.
B. Apold
WOW!!! Rex Welch Welcome!!! Good to see you aboard. I hope your Family is all doing well.

Gary Walton
Just rolling out of bed after day 2 at the barn. What a blast. The Condo v2 way exceeded any class or family reunion I've ever attended. MC and Pauli, hats off, this was one for the record books.

Sand, you nailed it on Gary Erdman take. Every time I rolled onto the gate in practice, I had to shield the glare from the smile on his face and it indeed, just felt right. It is the best feeling to finally let the elders who did the dirty work for us, know how much it was appreciated. By the way, we ran down to Bob's Cycle Saturday morning, bought Dust to Glory and watched repeatedly until race time Saturday afternoon. The wheels are churning.

I personally, enjoyed being able to chat with Randy Herget and letting him know that Tigre designs was a huge inspiration to me starting Action Graphics. Same for Dave C. I was just reminding him yesterday about the time he snapped every chain ring bolt on a start at the old Roy Wilkins Aud. It was at that moment that I said I want to be like that guy.

Shawn Sheely - you are still the man

The racing - UNBELIEVABLE - If you check out the shot of Sheely looking back at Boecker, there are at least four and half guys on that little jump. I never seen that at any other time in my many, many trips to the Barn.

Victor, we had never met but you are a great guy and I hope to see you back again.

JT, sorry for all the crap about not racing. I'm actually more appreciative that you helped document everything.

Jeff Manning and many of the others I didn't know so well BITD, it's awesome getting to know you better now and looking toward tomorrow.
King of Pipeline
Rex Welch, the star of Rochester. I remember hanging out with Mike Conway, and swinging by your house. There was a little a jump there. You were all Schwinned out.. I was kind of in awe, when we got to ride with you outside of a race setting. You were always cool for sure. You'll have to make it out to an event sometime..... You're name has been brought up a few times over the years.. what you been up to and where you at these days?
Guest200901
QUOTE (Rex22 @ Jan 6 2008, 12:03 AM) *
Wow! I just missed out on this Condo Race. Man that would have been a blast to go to or even race in. Although I didn't read all the pages, the ones I did see brought back alot of great memories. I still keep in touch with a few racers from Rochester, Bill Ford and Jeff Ringenberg. I see old man Lemke a few times a year at the stock car races, he still looks exactly the same!

Rex Welch

Rex Welch! Great to see you on here. Stay close by for more old school gatherings. Gather up the old Roch gang and put them on alert!
bnd
OK Minnesota, we are webcasting right now here's the link, chime in under your name it's easy & here's the link. Halsey Davis is already in there. See you in there! Racing starts at 11am, mst.

http://www.utahbmx.com/webcast/index.php

b.
B. Apold
QUOTE (bnd @ Jan 6 2008, 05:27 PM) *
OK Minnesota, we are webcasting right now here's the link, chime in under your name it's easy & here's the link. Halsey Davis is already in there. See you in there! Racing starts at 11am, mst.

http://www.utahbmx.com/webcast/index.php

b.

Cool!! Isn't that Doug Carlson sitting there? tongue.gif
bnd
Make sure you sign in on the chat room side!

b.
Guest200901
Aunt B' ....Trying to show up Minnesota BMX with a Utah Live Webcast angel.png Minnesota is on a 24hr taping delay.

Thanks for the Link, I'll try to jump on later
Paul Springer
Webcast was very cool and it was great chatting with you Bruce. Sorry you had to leave so quick to go and do the ironing & clean the house. blink.gif

Russ was telling me something about you knicknamed named your kid Hornswoggle. He gave me the 30 minute abbreviated explanation. Is this who he is talking about?

mikkopeters
I haven't had a chance to post until this afternoon- that was awesome!

Great to see everyone, very good job MC and Pauly!
jlindsay
Thanks to all who helped, it was fun and I know my dad had a blast!
mikkopeters
My fav moment was seeing Howie in the infield snapping shots, how cool was that?

Manningly, it was good to hang with you guys. smile.gif

MN BMX is alive and well!
Viktor
From Texas...

Here's a link to a video of my crash. I'm pretty sure this is the worst crash I've ever had on a bike, and I still walked away. I am sore but ready to get training for next year - look out!
wacko.gif Viktor Fall Off Jump - Condo Classic (5 MB)

It was great seeing everyone I did and didn't know from the past. It was a great event. 10% about racing, 90% about friends!

Ya'll take care and I'll see you around the board.
Guest200901
QUOTE (Viktor @ Jan 6 2008, 08:36 PM) *
From Texas...

Here's a link to a video of my crash. I'm pretty sure this is the worst crash I've ever had on a bike, and I still walked away. I am sore but ready to get training for next year - look out!
wacko.gif Viktor Fall Off Jump - Condo Classic (5 MB)

It was great seeing everyone I did and didn't know from the past. It was a great event. 10% about racing, 90% about friends!

Ya'll take care and I'll see you around the board.

OUCH! I never see ANYTHING when I'm taking photo's... other than turning around when someone else is yelling "ONE OF YOUR OLD SCHOOL GUYS JUST CRASHED!" I just thought your knee's gave out..... dry.gif

Glad you could make the big haul up to MN! That meant a lot to many!
Paul Springer
WOW Viktor, I never saw that crash. It was great having you at the Condo, I hope your not to sore from crashing. I expect you had a safe flight home and we will be in touch regarding your 2008 racing season. Be safe brutha and it was awesome meeting you!
MN2Z
Vik ~ Thanks for coming up to MN! After seeing the video, I want you to know there is a BMX Clinic at the Barn in a few weeks, are you coming back up?
Guest200901
QUOTE (MN2Z @ Jan 6 2008, 10:23 PM) *
Vik ~ Thanks for coming up to MN! After seeing the video, I want you to know there is a BMX Clinic at the Barn in a few weeks, are you coming back up?

Great 1st post there Christensen! COME ON, cough up some old school here!

DISCLAIMER: No harm meant to DC for this post, just want him to share some OS stories, thoughts and REALLY postable stories about SANDBERG....
B. Apold
QUOTE (MN2Z @ Jan 7 2008, 04:23 AM) *

DC!!!!!!!!!!!! Its about Frigg'n time.

Victor, I saw the whole thing. You got serious thrill issues dude tongue.gif j/k. It looked painful. I cased that thing once and almost endo'd on the back side, but for some reason the good lord set me right angel.png It was great to see you again and your riding great. We can't all by Dave C's..
rick kast
so, lemke a no show?
welcome rex
seeing as miland just asked about you on thurs., who called?
B. Apold
Troy wasn't able to make it last minute.. He'll be around though I bet.
Shawn Sheely MN-1
Vik - I didn't even realize that went down - I'm glad you're OK.

Gary W., thanks.

Dave, it's about time.

John, Geno, Dave - having you guys in my moto was perfection - the black and gold bookends were intimidating to say the least.

Sean, glad you made it - spamtown is my hometown.

Rex - Welcome!

Springer - nice ridin', that goes for everyone. The old man's class has never seen that kind of talent and pressure around here, 4 wide at times. Crazy.

Gary E., we need to find a pipe for that gate next time, I asked - I guess it was hiding under the gate.

Howie, you know how to get the shots, nice job.

JT - thanks for shooting those motos.

It was great to see the Lindseys too - Jason, we need to have your dad assigning gates next time.

Mark - an amazing event.

For those of you who asked me about getting one of my frames, drop me a PM - the first run is starting production soon. I'd like to take the bike to Rockford, but may not be able to make the trip. Hopefully someone can help represent. Jerseys and such should be ready by early spring.

Here's a little preview of the brand:

retroBMX
What a great night!

MC, thanks for having the vision to put this together. Awesome is the word.

Everybody else who helped out, your hard work was appreciated!

Heir Vendt
Awesome night!

Mark thanks for all your efforts putting this together. (and all your helpers!)

It was great seeing so many faces that I hadn't seen in a while!

Sheely, GREAT job keepin MN-2/Rydjor bike/Mower county/Spamtown racing up there!!!!

I'm cleaning some stuff out today. I found the American BMXer Vol VII, No 4 June 1985. So many cool parts soooo cheap. I digress. MN2 #1 16yr Jay Wendt. I know I didn't have that very often. You guys kicked my arse many times!
But I had it at least 1nce! hahahahaha

ph34r.gif Sean. Bring the 3 speed next time. I want rematch. wink.gif

MN2Z
QUOTE (Mark Conley @ Jan 6 2008, 10:32 PM) *

DISCLAIMER: No harm meant to DC for this post, just want him to share some OS stories, thoughts and REALLY postable stories about SANDBERG....

Mark, I mentioned I found this in Super BMX® Aug. 1982 P. 63 The San Antonio Lone Star Nationals

Results: How about M.C. 3rd in A-Pro! & the Crank'n Sand Man 1st in 14X! I suppose baby sitting the young guy J.S. and standing by his wheel you got a little tired!

Click to view attachment

Guest200901
QUOTE (MN2Z @ Jan 7 2008, 09:54 PM) *

Mark, I mentioned I found this in Super BMX® Aug. 1982 P. 63 The San Antonio Lone Star Nationals

Results: How about M.C. 3rd in A-Pro! & the Crank'n Sand Man 1st in 14X! I suppose baby sitting the young guy J.S. and standing by his wheel you got a little tired!

Click to view attachment

Kinda funny, it does say 4th but was sure it was 3rd. Oh, well...Yeah standing behind John with his wheel between my legs so he didn't tip over on the gate did get a little tiring
MN2Z
QUOTE (Mark Conley @ Jan 6 2008, 10:32 PM) *

Mark, I searched hi and low for a photo of d.c. in the air, this is the only one I could find, you are correct on the jumping skills – Lunch Bucket™! This one is from Iowa State Championships Fall_1979. I have some great photos and edit of MN Old School BMX, it's going to take some time to get it digitized.

Click to view attachment

Guest200901
Ok, but thats as high as I have seen you jump though smile.gif

I'm thinking you've got the golden stash of pics!

If you take them to Walgreens or Wal-Mart you can run them through a scanner right on to a disk fairly quick and cheap.

Great to have you on the thread!
Paul Springer
There you go DC, start crankin out the pics slow and easy now. We have lots of people waiting to see the DC library/photo vault. This is going to be good...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.