Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kuwahara 25th anniversary ET bike.
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Vintage BMX Racing
LeadSled1
Kuwahara is releasing a race model to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the 82 ET BMX bike. It shares the red and white paint scheme. It is called the Laserlite Team Limited Edition:

quote:
To Celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Kuwahara KZ 2.5 ET model released in 1982, a Limited Edition Laserlite Team model bike will be available featuring the ET Red/White fade Paint scheme and custom anodized Gold components.

Specs as per Laserlite Team.

This will be limited to 250 pieces worldwide

The 2007 Laserlite Team and 2KZ series which includes Pro, Pro 24", Expert, Junior and Mini sized bikes will be launched at the upcoming Eurobike (Germany Sept 1st) and Interbike (USA Sept 27th) bicycle tradeshows.

The 2007 Kuwahara range can be viewed online from Sept 1st at http://www.kuwaharabmx.com

I was able to see Polkamps bike at the Worlds. They put some nice features into the frame.

[ August 22, 2006, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: LeadSled1 ]
lowchin
How much is this baby gonna run?
GFR Industries
According to bmxmania post their website is supposed to be up and running Sept 1st so maybe they'll have pricing and where you can get them. They also said only 250 bikes to be made for wordwide distribution for the "ET" model.

[ August 22, 2006, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: Btpd22 ]
lowchin
wouldnt you think that there will be a bigger demand than just for 250!
QuicksilverBMX
It wont end here, once they realise how big the vintage scene is, they will bring out something like Redline,Mongoose and Haro did.
Spicoli
I have a NOS milk crate signed by Elliot that would look killer strapped to those bars

cool bike
MarkinNaples
Not bad, but wish they would have done something similar to what Mongoose did with theirs.

Anyway, my KZ 2.5 (I think - looks like a chrome ET with looptail and gusset) should be on ebay within the next couple days, just fyi.
Chequerbolt
Hi guys,
i work for Kuwahara BMX.
At the moment distribution of Kuwahara bikes into the USA has not been finalised. It's something that we would like more than anything, but have so far had no luck with getting an existing distributor to take on the bikes.
Outside the USA the bikes are available in the UK, Poland , Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Singapore, Hong Kong, China, Australia, Brazil, Italy and of course Japan.
We are now looking into setting up our own US distribution company in order to do this , but obviously that takes extra money, time and staff to be able to make successful, Feedback from US consumers has been excellent as far as seeing the the return of the brand to BMX ,so please bare with us while we try to sort the US distribution.

I have read on a post from someone a while back on this forum that the return of Kuwahara is just a Licensing deal with the Kuwahara name. It's not quite as simple as that.
Mr. Kuwahara went to great lengths to cancel licensing agreements with companies and distributors all over the world that had been making all sorts of kids and mountain bikes under the name Kuwahara. This was done in order for him and his son to be able to see his brand return to BMX racing in today's market without a cooky MTB available in the same country. This was quite an expensive step being that some of these companies were selling a lot of bikes while licensing the name. Unfortunately there are still some countries that the new bikes cannot be sold, where other companies have registered the name and have the right to do as they please with the name and can stop anyone else from importing Kuwahara branded bikes.

As to a demand for more than 250 of the laserlite Ltd Ed (we cant use the term "ET model" as the agreements with Steven Spielberg ran out long ago), well i can only hope that there is, but there is a lot more to keep in mind , a lot of distributors around the world are not overly interested in things that are old school flavoured and therefore do not support it with their orders and stocks, by limiting the numbers, this forces them to get behind this product and actually order and stock the bikes in their various countries or face missing out alltogether.

As to making an old school bike like Redline or Mongoose ,there are plans for retro replica framesets for a mid season release (Jan/Feb), since the old school stuff is not season or dealer driven, it allows us to release some cool stuff after the complete bike line is released. We did want to try and include the replica framesets this season but ran out of time.

The plans for the retro replica/reissue frame are to have a model as close to the original as much as possible with all origional size headset and BB fittings etc, then to also offer that same frame design with modern fittings including a Hiddenset Headtube, euro BB, Brake studs and most likely Pro, Pro XL and Pro XXL length options.

I would like to hear some ideas of what Vintage BMX regulars would like to see in the first retro reissue/replica frame , as in , what model (KZ? KZ2? Laserlite? etc) and what colors etc?

We are also planning the reissue of two retro jerseys , Jesrey 1 (Kevin McNeal era) is Black/Green/Yellow vented mesh.
Jesrey 2 (Clint Miller/Gary Ellis era) is White with Black/Yellow/Green print.

I welcome your feedback guys.

[ August 22, 2006, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: Chequerbolt ]
Spicoli
Exhibitonist !
alano
The Clint Miller / Gary Ellis era would be fab!
AndyDiamond
Hey, it has to be a KZ1 for the reissue - obvious choice!

As for colour - chrome would be great but the standard KZ1 colours of black, white, red and blue would be cool too.

That new Kuwi looks cool mate - nice work.

Let's see some at the Olympics!
Paperboy
Chrome
Jeff Utterback
Too cool!
Mr. Kuwahara came to GJS to meet me and my Dad when we were building frame sets for them and everything bicycles.

My back still hurts from all the "Bowing". LOL
showtime
WOW great news

the Big K making a real comeback
Ringer
nice! I have a couple history questions Chequerbolt, is there anyone I can contact with them?

I would love to see a reissue of the '83 LaserLite or the Exhibitionist. Either would be awesome.

[ August 23, 2006, 04:23 AM: Message edited by: Ringer ]
GFR Industries
The jerseys sound great and so far what I've seen of the bikes so do they!
NSR Jamie
Bring back the first model KE-1 and than the KZ bikes! That would be so cool and with the old painted colors and annodized parts. Man, that would be sweet for sure.

Does Kuwahara know anything about my little tribute website going on? Just curious. www.dreamgate.ne.jp/kuwahara/ I'll try to contact them again

I'd also love to see a chrome LaserLite just like the old KZ83 bikes and the return of the old decals and uniforms for sure as well.

lou
quote:
my KZ 2.5 (I think - looks like a chrome ET with looptail and gusset)
From what I understand it is. There was so many ET models produced and many didn`t sell so they chrome them. Am I right JU?
NSR Jamie
I think the bike he is talking about (Chrome ET) is actually a KYZ or Thrasher depending on where you live in the world. I heard this too that they were used from left over stock of the ET bikes. I believe there are probably less KYZ bikes than ET bikes which makes them rarer but the ET bikes fetch more dollars as it was what really made Kuwahara famous back in the 1980's with BMX.

here is the link for the KYZ ad if anybody wants to see it.
http://www.dreamgate.ne.jp/kuwahara/oldads/kyz_acs.jpg
Namza
Jesrey 1 (Kevin McNeal era) is Black/Green/Yellow vented mesh. <---- I opted for this but do not forget the big K on the chest. There's too many white jerseys on the track these days.
The Eventide
It's nice to see them making a comeback, let's hope they do. US buyers are already interested in 'anything' Kuwahara, including the newer Maser model bikes. If they were to do a re-issue it would have to be the KZ-1 because that bike PUT THEM ON THE MAP of bmx. The blue/gold is the most common color scheme and the black/green/yellow jersey too.

Lot's of models came after the KZ-1, but how many came before it? The KZ-1 design proved durable enough for BMX and ramp riders alike, I think that bike is strong enough to endure modern day abuse. One thing EVERYBODY wanted was a KZ-1 with a longer top tube. Never happened. Should've. -Jim
FaithBMX
My first race bike was an '83 KZ. I would love to see a black w/gold components neo-retro bike.

I had the original Kuwahara black/green/yellow Premier helmet, so I would definitely buy a black/green/yellow jersey.

Carl
Namza
Oh how I wish when I first started to hear the KUWAs comeback few years ago; 4130 triple butted KZ1 with the original K gussett.
juurdane
QUOTE (Chequerbolt @ Aug 22 2006, 08:36 PM) *
As to a demand for more than 250 of the laserlite Ltd Ed (we cant use the term "ET model" as the agreements with Steven Spielberg ran out long ago), well i can only hope that there is, but there is a lot more to keep in mind , a lot of distributors around the world are not overly interested in things that are old school flavoured and therefore do not support it with their orders and stocks, by limiting the numbers, this forces them to get behind this product and actually order and stock the bikes in their various countries or face missing out alltogether.

<small>[ August 22, 2006, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: Chequerbolt ]</small>

Hello, this comment in particular caught my attention. How has been the demand for the Ltd Ed now that Kuwahara is selling in the US?, Thanks.
Gnuchoice
It's safe to say the demand has been horrible. The LTD bikes are still available at online retail stores and the ABA was giving them away to people who voted for the golden crank awards.
alano
Sorry guys but I ain't buying it. That Ltd Edition looks like any aluminium bike today with a half-hearted ET-esque spray job. It is just my opinion, as a former Kuwahara sponsored rider back in the day, and it does not have to be anyone else's opinion. To me at least, I would take my Survivor over that one anyday. But in another vein, I am glad that Kuwahara is back again in the BMX scene.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.