IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Is there really new school flatland?????
sandy crawford
post Jun 2 2006, 11:42 AM
Post #1

Expert

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,319

I watched Dorkin 5 last night and Kevin, Mark, and Chase are doing bascially what today's new school guys are doing. I may be wrong on the year, and maybe Eaton can chime in, but isnt Dorkin 5 from 91 or 92. The links and spinning stuff are all in Dorkin 5.

Am I wrong or just plain dumb? I'm not a smart man, but I know what love is.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
oldschoolcool
post Jun 2 2006, 12:02 PM
Post #2

Intermediate

Member No.: 8,320

the thought that i have is that you cant have a new school without having an oldschool.to me that means some won had to first invent the move and then school some one else on it. the moves that i see people doing today are just variations of things that were done bitd.to me there is no newschool just a bunch of kids that wish the lived in the era that invented the sport of freestyle. and when i think of the word freestyle that encompases everything from flat,street and ramp at least thats what it was to me.a well rounded person that could perform moves in all areas was a true freestyler. ive said it before and i will say it agian.OLD SCHOOL RULES!!!!!!

+Quote Post
Guest_tony91_*
post Jun 2 2006, 12:05 PM
Post #3

Guests

he couldnt be more right^^^

thats why i forgot about the "new school" and came and joined you guys in the old school!!!

+Quote Post
Bedlam Bikes
post Jun 2 2006, 12:21 PM
Post #4

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 2,545

They do some new stuff today that wasn't being done 5 years ago. Mostly new ways of riding in and out of stuff.
There is that one dude who runs back and forth on the front wheel while spinning like crazy. His feet only touch the wheel and he nevers touches the front pegs or frame throughout the trick. It is the sickest thing I've even seen in my life. How about those front wheel boomerangs they do while in the middle of pinky squeaks and the rear wheel stays off the ground! A lot of it is SO fast it's easy to miss. Modern flat is sick, but I still miss the Bar rides, top guns, and pedal pickers.

+Quote Post
1niceharo
post Jun 2 2006, 12:21 PM
Post #5

AA Pro

Member No.: 7,451

I HAVE TO AGREE. look at the vids of the new guys tricks and then of the oldschool stuff. much faster then yesteryear and much much more spinning and complicated manuvers (sp) similar but not the same.

in the same aspect you had to start with the old stuff to evolve to what it is today.

[ June 02, 2006, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: 1niceharo ]

+Quote Post
jamie wright
post Jun 2 2006, 02:56 PM
Post #6

A Pro

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 8,035

I do see distinctive styles with todays' riders that use a lot of the basics set by guys like the Hoods.

It's clear to me that the modern version of flatland came very directly from the tricks created by Kevin Jones and the like, but there is a ton of really creative tricks and links being thrown around out there today that have simply taken it all a little further.

+Quote Post
Guest_tony91_*
post Jun 2 2006, 03:02 PM
Post #7

Guests

basically what everyones tryin to say in new school is nothin but tweaked old school. they took the tricks from the old school but added their own style or variation to it. but when its all broken down its the same old thing.

+Quote Post
Bedlam Bikes
post Jun 2 2006, 06:25 PM
Post #8

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 2,545

Same old thing?? Now that I really think of it, the tricks Jones invented aren't really OLD school though. They are more mid school. OLD school tricks would have to be Miami Hoppers, cherry pickers, boomerangs, tailwhips, grasshoppers, infinity rolls, surfers, side glides, lawnmowers, fork wheelies, gut levers, bar rides, hip whips, fire hydrants, wilkerwhips, rock walks, I-hops, the mega-trick, pedal pickers, frame stands, crickets, sliders, bar hops, switzerland squeakers, decades and so on.

I think mid-school BEGAN at the invention of the backyard. After that first scuffing trick, things went in a WHOLE different direction. Bring on the rolling stuff........

+Quote Post
1niceharo
post Jun 2 2006, 07:18 PM
Post #9

AA Pro

Member No.: 7,451

yeah any guy who can kick flip his bike is def not old school. the new videos on www.bmxfreestyler.com are just amazing and sometimes there is no trace of old school anything!

+Quote Post
Guav
post Jun 3 2006, 08:21 AM
Post #10

A Pro

Member No.: 6,397

I think the same thing when I'm watching new school flatland videos. I notice that for the most part, kids are just doing variations on stuff the K and Chase invented 10-15 years ago. Not to take anything away from these new riders—the level of skill is absolutely ridiculous—Hitchiker kickflip to Backpacker? Totally insane.

But then every so often you come across something like Lee Musselwhite doing his new trick, the Spiderglide ...

(IMG:http://static.flickr.com/43/123026962_8bbdaf9a3d.jpg)

... and you realize that even though the rate of new trick invention is much slower and harder than it used to be, it's still possible to do something new.

(But yeah, a lot of today's riding is extremely redundant)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 11:34 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees