Reply to this topicStart new topic
Freestyle in Olympics
Elvis
post Jun 9 2017, 09:05 PM
Post #1

Worst moderator ever

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 395

BMX Freestyle has been added to the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo, as has 3-on-3 basketball by IOC edict.

Other events added

"'I am delighted that the Olympic Games in Tokyo will be more youthful, more urban and will include more women,' IOC President Thomas Bach said in a statement.

The IOC expects women to account for 48.8 percent of the athletes in Tokyo.

Events confirmed Friday are in addition to decisions last August to include sports climbing, skateboarding, surfing, baseball and softball, and karate in the Tokyo program."

https://apnews.com/f8a3a1c3edf44e02b284f77c...edium=AP_Sports
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GaryCraig
post Jun 12 2017, 08:47 AM
Post #2

A Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 37,215

On one side a worry a bit for Racing just added in 08 being an early exit. But then I look at the sports also going in and see this as more of a momentum change for the games. BMX Racing will no seem so far out of place and if we get a couple more finals like last summer, we could for sure see it stick around.

One question.... is is becoming the OLYMPIX Games??

+Quote Post
sxebmx
post Jun 13 2017, 06:55 AM
Post #3

A Pro

Member No.: 16,466

BMX Racing is not out of place, but the cost associated with BMX racing is what will push it out of the O's. A decent skatepark can be built for a fraction of the cost of the track, be used for both the BMX and Skateboard events, and be built/torn down with very little effort or need of it to be a permanent fixture. It could even be built within an existing venue after another event is finished(ie if basketball is done during week 1 and the park is only needed for week 3, they could share a venue.)

I don't think BMX is lacking in excitement or competition at the O's, it's just way to much of an expense for a boutique event.

+Quote Post
D_Man
post Jun 13 2017, 03:21 PM
Post #4

AA Pro

Member No.: 589

QUOTE (sxebmx @ Jun 13 2017, 12:55 PM) *
BMX Racing is not out of place, but the cost associated with BMX racing is what will push it out of the O's. A decent skatepark can be built for a fraction of the cost of the track, be used for both the BMX and Skateboard events, and be built/torn down with very little effort or need of it to be a permanent fixture. It could even be built within an existing venue after another event is finished(ie if basketball is done during week 1 and the park is only needed for week 3, they could share a venue.)

I don't think BMX is lacking in excitement or competition at the O's, it's just way to much of an expense for a boutique event.

Easy fix: ditch the 8m hill and the whole SX format and suddenly many countries will discover that they already have the right infrastructure.

+Quote Post
MikeCarruth
post Jun 14 2017, 08:07 AM
Post #5

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 6,767

I think most people would ditch the 8M hill in a minute, if they could. I say "if they could," because there are probably a dozen or more of those hills, built in permanent form, around the world--each costing upwards of US$600k to build. So, it would be tough to just say "sorry, those are now obsolete."

We are already seeing a gradual departure from the 8M hill, via the UCI rules for 2017, which allow World Cup races to be run off of 5M or 8M hills. To me, that is the beginning of the end for the 8M hill, but it is going to take a while. If BMX Racing gets dropped from the Olympics, as many expect in 2024 or 2028, that will further accelerate the demise of the 8M hill. By then, most of those hills will be 10 yrs old, and will have lived a full life.

Then, they can be converted to stadium seating, with a VIP beer garden at the top. #HalfKidding

M

+Quote Post
ANT DOG 3:16
post Jun 14 2017, 12:22 PM
Post #6

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 3,739

Then, they can be converted to stadium seating, with a VIP beer garden at the top. #HalfKidding

No half kidding- you mentioned this before-photo tower-hot moms area (lol) alot of uses

+Quote Post
Elvis
post Jun 15 2017, 01:17 PM
Post #7

Worst moderator ever

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 395

QUOTE (sxebmx @ Jun 13 2017, 07:55 AM) *

The flip side being: Racing is fairly clean-cut, especially with the UCI oversight. Freestylers, I just see problems with that culture meeting O culture.

It's not impossible, it's not like it's not due for that matter, but even if freestyle moves to the fore, I don't see that happening quickly.

+Quote Post
Brett Middaugh
post Jun 20 2017, 09:56 AM
Post #8

AA Pro

Member No.: 3,777

Racing and Freestyle being in the Olympics sorta means nothing to either sport in the USA.
Our cycling culture here blows.
The reason any type of BMX is in the Olympics is the IOC trying desperately to appeal to today's youth.

Unfortunately, they are, once again, behind the times because if you wanted to capture millennial eyeballs, scooter freestyle should be in the games as that has a huge demographic with todays young people.

The Olympics needs these alternative sports not the other way around. I really think that is where racing fell apart. Over the years they were grinding on the "when it's in the olympics it'll get huge again" wagon and by the time it was, the grand appeal of the games became overshadowed by all the other sporting events that go on.

Don't get me wrong, like all the rest of us, I get a sense of smug self satisfaction that the activities we grew up doing are now in the arena that we all looked at as the pinnacle of sports as kids but I realize that it doesn't have the same resonance today that it did, 25 or 30 years ago.

+Quote Post
GaryCraig
post Jun 23 2017, 09:37 AM
Post #9

A Pro

Member No.: 37,215

QUOTE (Elvis @ Jun 15 2017, 02:17 PM) *
The flip side being: Racing is fairly clean-cut, especially with the UCI oversight. Freestylers, I just see problems with that culture meeting O culture.

It's not impossible, it's not like it's not due for that matter, but even if freestyle moves to the fore, I don't see that happening quickly.

It was no problem for snowboarding and freestyle skiing with the winter olympics which are probably a bit less stuffy compared to the summer games but still, they all seemed to get along fine. And I would say may have saved the Winter Olympics, at least for the time being.....

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th August 2017 - 08:37 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray