IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Check out the new 2013 Phoenix Raptor frame., And some clips of the factory team in reno.
g-mo
post Jan 19 2013, 07:18 PM
Post #11

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: BMX Industry
Member No.: 2,648

I believe JRich's last bike from Simple had disc brakes too....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chief Steve
post Jan 19 2013, 07:33 PM
Post #12

Expert

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,375

Nothing against Phoenix, but there is just something seriously UNattractive about curved top tubes and/or down tubes. Doesn't look good, serves no structural purpose, and adds weight. Disc brakes? Not necessary in BMX. Just my opinion, I know...

+Quote Post
chase2wheels
post Jan 20 2013, 07:27 AM
Post #13

A Pro

Member No.: 16,809

QUOTE (Code4130 @ Jan 19 2013, 06:42 PM) *
I gotta side with DJBBMX the current model is totally a Gimmick frame, in design. It might ride good but thats a geometry not the weird seat tube idea they have. Over the years tons of Gimmick companys have come and gone, thats the way BMX is. People part with their hard earned money for some flashy new trend or fad. We all have done that at least once.

yeah, that was me with the CW "Z" frame in the 80s. Looked cool, but rode like crap.

+Quote Post
john516
post Jan 20 2013, 08:06 AM
Post #14

Intermediate

Member No.: 24,860

I'm pretty sure disc brakes are used on mtb because of downhill descents & used in touring for all weather conditions. Most road bikes do not have them because the stopping power is to great for the tire size and really isn't needed for the riding conditions I would have to say that would go the same for bmx, and oh yea whats the purpose of adding rotational to your $600 wheelset that you worked so hard to make light weight...

+Quote Post
mxmug
post Jan 20 2013, 10:42 AM
Post #15

Inventor of the Z Jump

Member No.: 17,989

I'm a very conservitive person so the Phoenix style is not for me. After seeing a few show up at the track I have to say I love the craftsmanship on these bikes. They are a work of art. As far as disk brakes, believe it or not, progress happens. They do work better. Disc brakes may become the standard in BMX.

+Quote Post
sanjosebmx
post Jan 20 2013, 08:29 PM
Post #16

Sandbagger
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 1,942

with the Phoenix Talon frame having a removable dropout, can't the disc brake setup be kind of a 'drop in' upgrade. I suppose the frame will still have the spot for the standard v-brakes though.

I would say that this frame is pretty far from a gimmick, or call it what you will, the guys who I know (there are a lot around here) who are riding one say hands down it's the best frame they've been on.. and they are no slouches either.

+Quote Post
jt89366
post Jan 20 2013, 10:49 PM
Post #17

A Pro

Member No.: 7,870

[quote name='sanjosebmx' date='Jan 21 2013, 02:29 AM' post='1199384']
with the Phoenix Talon frame having a removable dropout, can't the disc brake setup be kind of a 'drop in' upgrade. I suppose the frame will still have the spot for the standard v-brakes though.

I would say that this frame is pretty far from a gimmick, or call it what you will, the guys who I know (there are a lot around here) who are riding one say hands down it's the best frame they've been on.. and they are no slouches either.
[/quote
The one with no Brake Bosses is a one off proto type.The dropouts can be put on any phoenix frame and can be converted to Disk.

+Quote Post
cultfreak
post Jan 20 2013, 11:03 PM
Post #18

Expert

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 28,639

I might look into disc brakes.. I can NOT stand working on V brakes. they just drive me bonkers. then again.. so might disc brakes... bring back the MX1000

+Quote Post
Chase266
post Jan 21 2013, 07:08 AM
Post #19

Intermediate

Member No.: 34,554

I think v-brakes are the easiest of all brakes to get dialled. Good disc brakes are easy too but cheap ones can be a real pain.

+Quote Post
Uncle_Todd
post Jan 21 2013, 01:53 PM
Post #20

AA Pro

Member No.: 10,820

Disc brakes do offer superior stopping power. As long as the weight isn't an issue I see no real issue w/ having the ability to stop better, even if it isn't necessary in most BMX races.

Great video by the way.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 09:32 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees