Reply to this topicStart new topic
Bmx training a scientific approach, Is it worth the $30
benbmx47
post Oct 2 2012, 03:01 PM
Post #1

Novice

Group: Members
Member No.: 34,683

Has anyone read the entire article, i can only find limited exerps from it online, and no contact details for dr doug mcguff the author, is it worth the $30? The exerps i have read are very interesting but are they the best bits of the article?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nickdawghaters
post Oct 2 2012, 03:37 PM
Post #2

AA Pro

Member No.: 12,755

Go do 5- 35 yard sprints at 100%, tomorrow do 6, then the next day do 7... If you dont start getting faster you aint gotta pay me $30. But if you start winning Ill be expecting a check in the mail.

+Quote Post
tommy2x4
post Oct 2 2012, 04:19 PM
Post #3

2x4

Member No.: 841

honestly, i would contact the following folks in no particular order:

Big Bird
Greg Romero
German Medina
James Herrera

not sure what your financial situation is, but they are well worth the investment!

+Quote Post
s4lnj
post Oct 2 2012, 05:32 PM
Post #4

AA Pro

Member No.: 1,732

i have the book, dont waste your money. while some of the stuff on muscle memory and skill training is helpfull, it's nothing i couldn't sum up in a few sentences here.

as far as the weight training portion, he endorses HIT, which is a system developed in the 70's, popularized by body builder mike metzger. it states one set, done supper slow, taken to complete failure is all that is needed. explosive moves are not permitted. as they are considered dangerous.

it does cover HIIT pretty in depth and has a modification to traditional HIIT to suit bmx racers. my personal opinion is that it's overkill.

i would send it to you free but i ampretty sure i threw it away. i'll check

+Quote Post
g-mo
post Oct 2 2012, 05:36 PM
Post #5

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: BMX Industry
Member No.: 2,648

QUOTE (benbmx47 @ Oct 2 2012, 04:01 PM) *
Has anyone read the entire article, i can only find limited exerps from it online, and no contact details for dr doug mcguff the author, is it worth the $30? The exerps i have read are very interesting but are they the best bits of the article?

You talking about this? PM me your address and I'll send it to you.

(IMG:http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg388/vickbmx/20121002_182752.jpg)

This post has been edited by g-mo: Oct 2 2012, 05:37 PM

+Quote Post
PedalWrench
post Oct 2 2012, 05:43 PM
Post #6

A Pro

Member No.: 26,051

I have a hard copy of McGuff's spiral-bound book. It was published in 2002, so it was in print several years before I bought a copy. It has been very informative and useful for me. Lots of interesting info in the 12 chapters. You will have to be fairly dedicated & use some self-discipline to get the most out of it. Is it worth the 30 bucks? Questionable, but it was for me. There are some local cycling fitness trainers in my area, but none that are BMXicans, so specific BMX info & help was limited. This book was a help for me. If you apply his advice, I think you will be faster. It surely helped me step up my game some. It may give the moderator a little heartburn, but the contact info is: Ultimate Exercise, Inc. P.O. Box 1882 Seneca, SC 29679. Hope this helps. Good luck.

This post has been edited by PedalWrench: Oct 2 2012, 05:47 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 02:50 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees