Reply to this topicStart new topic
UCI Track Certification, - impact on USABMX / UCI Pro Series
woodybmx86
post Sep 17 2012, 08:57 PM
Post #31

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,714

UCI wants a parcel of the bucks represented by USA racing. I am glad Tedesco finally realized his dream of BMX in the Olympics, but it paved teh way for being in the same boat as UCI... and USAC, which isnt much better. Not a big fan of them... dealing with trhem in other venues. Yeah, Euros deal with them, but they are used to it, have to, always been that way. We dont need em.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jon Rotten
post Sep 17 2012, 09:02 PM
Post #32

AA Pro

Member No.: 81

I think huffy was "track certified" back in the day

+Quote Post
MeredithJL
post Sep 17 2012, 09:36 PM
Post #33

AA Pro

Member No.: 17,979

There's no 'brand' to protect when you're the only group putting on these races. I highly doubt a competing sanction is going to come online and start running an separate SX series. It's a money grab, and both ends of it seem to be the beneficiaries. Were there riders who requested these 'certifications' be put into place for safety reasons? I doubt it. We have two races in Florida that have been UCI races for the past couple of years. It would be a shame to lose the international flavor that accompanies a UCI race (ie, pro's from all over the world on your home track), but I guess we will have to see how this shakes out.

QUOTE (reedhamilton @ Sep 17 2012, 08:43 PM) *
Track certification is nothing more than a way for UCI to protect their brand. The certificate is only required if you want UCI sanctioning of your world championship, world cup, continental, international, or national event. Not holding one of those events or don't care for the UCI brand? No certification necessary.

And they are a non-profit making, non-governmental association. So they are free to choose whomever they like to build or upgrade UCI-certified tracks. They had already created a formal partnership with Elite Trax back in 2010, so it is only natural for ET to oversee any track certification. And why not? They've been working with them unofficially for 10 years. Why not go with somebody you know and trust?

Now how all this affects the USA BMX Pro UCI Series - that could get interesting. Especially a few years from now when the Rio 2016 qualification process begins.

+Quote Post
nickdawghaters
post Sep 18 2012, 12:24 AM
Post #34

AA Pro

Member No.: 12,755

Yawn again.

+Quote Post
GhettoBMXstar
post Sep 18 2012, 06:19 AM
Post #35

Expert

Member No.: 33,504

QUOTE (Jon Rotten @ Sep 17 2012, 11:02 PM) *
I think huffy was "track certified" back in the day

Haha!!! Yes it was, so was Murray. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
headsnap
post Sep 18 2012, 07:00 AM
Post #36

AA Pro

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 9,771

QUOTE (GhettoBMXstar @ Sep 18 2012, 08:19 AM) *
Haha!!! Yes it was, so was Murray. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

LOL... I had the Murray...

actually three of them!!!!

+Quote Post
Thumperpilot
post Sep 18 2012, 07:10 AM
Post #37

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: BMX Industry
Member No.: 127

QUOTE (jwahl @ Sep 17 2012, 06:24 PM) *
I suspect that very few tracks in the US would bother to seek approval by the UCI....No track in the US "needs" to have a UCI certification. I still think the UCI needs the ABA more than the ABA needs the UCI.

I have held more UCI events then any other nation by far. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
ANT DOG 3:16
post Sep 18 2012, 07:13 AM
Post #38

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 3,739

I think in the end you will see that UCI events are exclusively on SX tracks and no longer in combination with USA BMX National events.

I have to agree, there is something else I was told but I will ask that in another topic. Want to have my facts straight.

+Quote Post
Elvis
post Sep 18 2012, 08:30 AM
Post #39

Worst moderator ever

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 395

QUOTE (Thumperpilot @ Sep 18 2012, 08:10 AM) *
I have held more UCI events then any other nation by far. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

That's kinda' the point.

The cash flow slows up in a non-Olympics/non-television year, so UCIGSX decided to put the squeeze on BMX in order to allow it to be maintained in the manner to which it is accustomed.

Easier to say "no."

UCI's not going to put on BMX races without the sanction, it's obviously in a cash crunch, and most of the UCI-certified work for the sanction anyway.

Plus, sanction's in a much better place for attracting pros and engaging sponsorship. Plus plus, the trouble with this kind of extortion is there's always more coming. Better to nip this one in the bud.

+Quote Post
GeorgeC
post Sep 18 2012, 08:45 AM
Post #40

A Pro
Group Icon

Group: Advertisers
Member No.: 17,460

Maybe the schedules not out yet cause the ABA Worlds are coming back along with 3 mains AA

Yes I called it AA the way it should be

G

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 11:07 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees