IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Impact of televised BMX in Olympics, What to expect?
ScottyE
post Aug 3 2012, 01:13 AM
Post #1

Intermediate

Group: Track Management
Member No.: 20,026

With the countdown of our beloved taking the mainstage creeping closer and closer, I am beginning to wonder what the effects of BMX on TV at the Olympics will be.

I am excited, my son is excited, fellow followers are feeling the hype. But in any situation you have to step back and look at the big picture. The general public is not anticipating this the way I am. Exposure should breed opportunity in my opinion, but how much?

It would be interesting to know or be able to quantify the impact this will have on the sport. You'd think there would be some sort of Olympic referral promotion for new members signing up after viewing. Perhaps it could be calculated but a large task indeed. Just a thought.

Personally I expect it to be marginal at best. I tend to forget that my sport of choice is not the same for everyone....until I go to the track.

On the other hand...all the boy wants to do now is go swimming.

What do you think? How will it affect our bubble....if at all?

Scotty
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RodneyR
post Aug 3 2012, 06:57 AM
Post #2

AA Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,822

maybe USABMX could offer a free day of racing, and maybe call it " Olympic Day " or something. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
FaithBMX
post Aug 3 2012, 07:13 AM
Post #3

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,311

It might not bring thousands of new riders in, but if it raises awareness of our sport that is a good thing.
If I say that I race BMX and the person knows what I'm talking about (and doesn't ask me if I do back flips); then that'll be a good thing.

ScottyE said it best when he said his kid wants to swim. If a bunch of kids see BMX racing on TV then some of them will want to try it. The question is, "How easy will it be for them to find a place to race and get started?"

+Quote Post
Brett Middaugh
post Aug 3 2012, 07:19 AM
Post #4

AA Pro

Member No.: 3,777

Since people are dropping conventional TV left and right...I'm not sure this will help at all. Plus it's 3 days of maybe 1 hour coverage (hopefully) after that...that's all folks, it's off the national radar, at least the USA national radar, where most people couldn't give a defecation about cycling in general.

BMX in the olympics on tv will not help the local level at all. My prediction based on past performance, your results may vary.

(I'd like to add that I didn't call anyone out in this post or make condescending remarks to anyone, like other people like to do to me. Love, brittles.)

+Quote Post
MikeCarruth
post Aug 3 2012, 07:19 AM
Post #5

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 6,767

Very little impact, if at any.

Well, let me stop and rewind a second. I think it will have very little impact as far as turning new people on to the sport, if that's what you mean. You are not going to see up-ticks in new people coming out to the local track, IMHO.

This is because:

A). What they are seeing on TV is not the kind of sport that would entice a beginner to say "wow, yeah, I want to do that!," or, "I want to get little Johnny into that." (aside from daredevil types and Richard Branson). To say nothing of the fact that, even if Richard Branson were to show up, there is no place for him to take his day-one bike and blaze down the SX hill (probably a good thing).

B). If the coverage is like last time, the announcers will be calling it "BMX Supercross" (which it is). But if you are a "never-heard-of-it-before" fan sitting in your living room, and do a Google search for "BMX Supercross" you are going to find some sporatic content and YouTube vids on UCI Supercross (and the Supercross of the Bill Ryan variety, so I'm stoked for Smilin' Bill)...but nothing...NOTHING that makes the connection to the fact that there is a whole parallel universe of "Classic" BMX racing at a track 30 or 40 miles away, that IS beginner friendly (well, moreso than an SX track).

That said, you might see an up-tick in awareness of the phrase "BMX" at the water cooler on Monday the 13th. And there is a slim chance that corporate types (aka potential sponsors) who fancy themselves the "cool guys" out of their bunch, may also take notice. Every little bit helps in that regard, so I'll take it.

As Carl said, if it makes people at the local Little League game stop saying "you do all those flips and tricks?" and makes them say, instead, "wow, you race down that three-story mountain?" It could be considered a win. At least they are talking about the same "flavor" of BMX.

I have heard for the past few years that they would be running the BMX coverage "In Prime Time." Well, in Chicago, at least, it airs at 3PM Central Time (4PM for the final, I believe). Prime time, in the Central and Mountain time zones is from 7PM to 10PM (8PM-11PM in the Eastern and Pacific Time Zones).

Thus, unless you're deliberately looking for it and record it while you're at work...or are super-hardcore and have the streaming coverage up on a device, Joe Six-Pack isn't going to see BMX anyway (unless he's unemployed, and doesn't have anything else to do, that is).

I'll be happy when next week is over and we can get back to "Classic BMX" for two years. I'm stoked for BMX in the Olympics, and can't wait to congratulate the medalists personally, but I'm really here for the Original Recipe.

Best,

M

+Quote Post
Bikemonkeys
post Aug 3 2012, 07:33 AM
Post #6

Vet Pro

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 2,491

I thought Supercross BMX was in the Olympics, when is BMX Racing on?

We'll see some new riders, some will become racers. It's getting the word out, it's just one of the 5 times that someone has to see it to think they need it. If we see some USA Gold, things might be better seen.

Biggest problem BMX Racing might face is the most likely lead story in the US during Olympic coverage, how dangerous is this sport? Won't matter that my track has a 10 foot tall starting hill, cause that's not what they'll see.

This post has been edited by Bikemonkeys: Aug 3 2012, 07:36 AM

+Quote Post
wrench69
post Aug 3 2012, 07:45 AM
Post #7

Intermediate

Group: Track Management
Member No.: 16,947

This a great topic and a lot of great questions, and Mike you and me are on the same page of thinking about how this will impact our sport. Me personally I wish commercials would'nt be so expensive so USA BMX could have them during commercial breaks this way little Jonny's parents could see what BMX racing looks like at the local / National level.

Chuck Groh
The Hill BMX

+Quote Post
mxmug
post Aug 3 2012, 07:56 AM
Post #8

Inventor of the Z Jump

Member No.: 17,989

If a hero emerges, watch out. Everything was set and ready for bubba in 08 before the sport ate its young. If the lady's do well after what's happened, that could make a great story that might end up on the View. If a great story unfolds, it will be great. If not, I'm set to record, and will enjoy watching my life long favorite sport on the 60 inch screen.

+Quote Post
MikeCarruth
post Aug 3 2012, 07:57 AM
Post #9

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 6,767

QUOTE (wrench69 @ Aug 3 2012, 08:45 AM) *
I wish commercials would'nt be so expensive so USA BMX could have them during commercial breaks this way little Jonny's parents could see what BMX racing looks like at the local / National level.

Chuck Groh
The Hill BMX

No doubt Chuck, that would be ideal. The cost of the average 30-second spot in prime time is around $725,000. Though BMX is not in prime time, it would probably still be around $500k...and you need to run a bunch of them in order to get the message across--running one or two is a waste of a million dollars.

Bottom line: even if you had $7 Million burning a hole in your pocket for 12 spots, plus legit production by a name director (Spike Jonze?), would that bring in 155,000 new members, thus quadrupling the size of the sport in the USA overnight? Probably not.

M

+Quote Post
RedlineMike
post Aug 3 2012, 08:17 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 36,279

I for one am very excited! I also think this is a great thing for BMX. We had a track built back in 06 that never made it, I don't think it even held any locals. But now with the Olympics televising it, I have noticed over the last week or so that the city has been working on it to get it back into racing condition again.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 10:31 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees