Reply to this topicStart new topic
Redline guru's chime in
oldschoolrider88
post Jul 30 2012, 04:11 PM
Post #1

AA Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,608

a buddy of mine recently got his RL 20-II f/f back to him...story was, a brother of a friend of his needed a bike (or something...cant remember the exact story), and my buddy had gotten out of riding...

he gave the kid the f/f from his parents attic....fast forward to last week....he gets in touch with his friend again and casually brings up the bike
turns out the guys brother still had it, but wanted to take the parts off of it and put on some other bike.

so my buddy says he'll do it, and hes interested in getting his f/f back to him (he's the original owner and everything)

done deal....so now hes got his original f/f back to him, stripped of paint (was originally red)

the question is....its an 86.
was the bottom bracket black or no?

when he originally had it, it was solid red (minus the chrome rear triangle..) no black on the bb.

he wants to get it redone...red again...is black on the bb correct, or was the one he had an anomaly?

also...is there a paint code for that Redline red? no other company has come close to making a better looking red than redline back then.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mr coasterbrake
post Jul 30 2012, 07:37 PM
Post #2

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 249

the official spec had the black BB, but it's possible there may have been a few without, early on with the '86s.

i've seen a few promo/ad type pics of red frames without the black BB, so...

+Quote Post
Profiler
post Jul 30 2012, 09:58 PM
Post #3

AA Pro

Member No.: 785

Seems like I remember the color being called "California Red", which won't help as far as codes go.

One realization I did finally come to while trying to decide exactly how to do my various RL20/20II/Prostylers, just do them how you (he) likes. There are TONS of example pics online, and none will be a perfect match to another. Building an exact team/factory/replica is simply guesswork.

Again, Mr. C is correct. I'm positive the 86 came without the fade to black on some models. So if that's how your friend remembers his, and wants to build it that way, he should go for it!

+Quote Post
oldschoolrider88
post Jul 31 2012, 03:52 PM
Post #4

AA Pro

Member No.: 4,608

QUOTE (mr coasterbrake @ Jul 31 2012, 02:37 AM) *
the official spec had the black BB, but it's possible there may have been a few without, early on with the '86s.

i've seen a few promo/ad type pics of red frames without the black BB, so...

which is exactly what i thought...possibly an early 86...because i had an 86 rl20 and it had the black BB.

+Quote Post
Pauly
post Aug 3 2012, 11:25 PM
Post #5

My sig pic is HUGE!
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 2,296

I had and still have a black 86 RL-20II and it has a black bottom bracket. The decals fade to chrome at the bb... but you can't go by that. The early ones did not fade to the decal spec at the bb.

However... If I was refinishing a bike I would go with what it was "supposed to look like". In other words, if the decals fade to black I would go that route. Contact Chip at C4 for the powder.

This post has been edited by Pauly: Aug 3 2012, 11:27 PM

+Quote Post
crowe-t
post Sep 26 2012, 02:02 PM
Post #6

Expert

Member No.: 10,371

The Japan made '86 RL20II's(with the straight rear inner platforms) all had the black bottom bracket. All the Taiwan made(90 degree bends on rear inner platforms) '86 RL20II's I've seen did not have a black BB.

+Quote Post
Pauly
post Sep 26 2012, 03:12 PM
Post #7

My sig pic is HUGE!
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 2,296

QUOTE (crowe-t @ Sep 26 2012, 04:02 PM) *
The Japan made '86 RL20II's(with the straight rear inner platforms) all had the black bottom bracket. All the Taiwan made(90 degree bends on rear inner platforms) '86 RL20II's I've seen did not have a black BB.

My 86 Taiwan frame has a black bb.

But the rest of the paint is black as well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
mr coasterbrake
post Sep 26 2012, 08:06 PM
Post #8

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 249

QUOTE (crowe-t @ Sep 26 2012, 03:02 PM) *

that's backward from my experiences, both personal and as a dealer.

+Quote Post
Glen
post Sep 30 2012, 12:45 PM
Post #9

AA Pro

Member No.: 3,971

Either way one of the best looking bikes ever made.
Just build it and ride it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 12:02 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees