Reply to this topicStart new topic
Tubes, Best tubes? running sun envy 1.5 rims and
nbk17se
post Jul 14 2012, 10:36 PM
Post #1

Intermediate

Group: Members
Member No.: 34,590

Maxxis DTH 1.75 tires on front and back. should I use 1.50 tube or 1.75 or does it matter? Also what kind of tube is the best/are the profile ultra light tubes durable enough? Heard flats are more common with the lighter tubes. Also anyone know what the best rim tape is? PS any word on the new Maxxis DTH tires coming out soon? thanks!

This post has been edited by nbk17se: Jul 14 2012, 10:37 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BIGSARGE
post Jul 15 2012, 07:53 AM
Post #2

A Pro
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 7,788

Been running the ITS Ultra Lite 20x1.5-2.25 with my Envy's since Feb '11 with no problems...also been running the Aliennation rim strips on all our bikes...

+Quote Post
tosborne
post Jul 15 2012, 01:54 PM
Post #3

A Pro

Member No.: 9,107

Perfer plastic tape over rim strips. Seals out dirt much better. Also believe lighter then rim stips.

+Quote Post
bumpdat1
post Jul 15 2012, 05:50 PM
Post #4

Novice

Member No.: 28,866

I've been using black electrical tape for rim strips since the late 70's!! Never had any problem. I have noticed that the lighter tubes lose air more often, but other than having to pump them up every week and a half, they are good. I have been using the one's from Danscomp and the Intense tubes.

+Quote Post
LDZDAD
post Jul 15 2012, 11:15 PM
Post #5

Intermediate
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 33,096

I have had enough issues with the Race Lite tubes that I won't use them anymore. Constantly loosing air pressure and had several of them split right at the valve. I just can't run them with confidence. As for using black electrical tape for a rim strip- that may work fine for a while, but I can tell you that our had 3 different flats at Southpark last week and all of them were from cheap rim strips that failed. The extreme heat combined with high pressures caused them to give way and blow out a hole. I replaced them all with Crupi Ryhthm rim strips which appear to be hefty enough to hold up.

+Quote Post
Bikemonkeys
post Jul 16 2012, 06:56 AM
Post #6

Vet Pro

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 2,491

Velox rim tape.

+Quote Post
Dennis O'Neil
post Jul 16 2012, 07:12 AM
Post #7

Expert

Member No.: 4,555

QUOTE (Bikemonkeys @ Jul 16 2012, 12:56 PM) *
Velox rim tape.

+1 on that.

Never had it fail on anything, regardless of what rim/tube combo I run on anything. I'm not a believer in the benefit translation of micro physics of tube weight though. Not hating on anyone that does, as anyone should take advantage of whatever means they can perceive. I just don't think it matters.

+Quote Post
cwstnsko
post Jul 16 2012, 10:00 AM
Post #8

Expert

Group: Track Management
Member No.: 30,566

For tubes, I run the generic tubes that are about $4 at Walmart/Target/Fred Meyer/LBS etc. If I want a lighter tube, I go old school and grab a 18" tube for my 20 or a 20x1 3/8 for my cruiser....

If you run double wall rim, Veloplugs are my favorite. They are lighter than a rim strip, are locked into the spoke hole so they can't slide. They give good clearance for the tire beads for easier installation and they can be removed one at a time to replace a spoke or nipple.

(IMG:http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6214/6374626347_da0320f9dd_b.jpg)
Front_Wheel by Chris W4, on Flickr

This post has been edited by cwstnsko: Jul 16 2012, 10:05 AM

+Quote Post
Chase266
post Jul 16 2012, 10:27 AM
Post #9

Intermediate

Member No.: 34,554

I always use 1.5 tubes for 1.75 and up tire widths since they are lighter and air up to size well. The lighter tubes are of course more prone to flats because the rubber is thinner but as long as you keep them full of air they hold up well. I check my tires everytime I go to the track. You can also put a little baby powder on the inside of your tire to keep things smooth and no chafing issues causing flats. If you want to go crazy with the weight like the one guy said you can make an 18" tube work in a 20" but it is stretching it thin. I personally wouldn't trust it on todays tracks where we are all running really high air pressure and paved turns allow you to hold a tight line at high speed. For example I would never try that at Lousville haha.

+Quote Post
blueno2
post Jul 16 2012, 12:52 PM
Post #10

Intermediate

Member No.: 18,274

QUOTE (Chase266 @ Jul 16 2012, 10:27 AM) *
I always use 1.5 tubes for 1.75 and up tire widths since they are lighter and air up to size well. The lighter tubes are of course more prone to flats because the rubber is thinner but as long as you keep them full of air they hold up well. I check my tires everytime I go to the track. You can also put a little baby powder on the inside of your tire to keep things smooth and no chafing issues causing flats. If you want to go crazy with the weight like the one guy said you can make an 18" tube work in a 20" but it is stretching it thin. I personally wouldn't trust it on todays tracks where we are all running really high air pressure and paved turns allow you to hold a tight line at high speed. For example I would never try that at Lousville haha.

Specialized makes a 20 x 1.0 - 1.5 tube that is pretty light, and durable from my experience. Ive seen em in presta and schraeder valves also, although their webpage doesnt show the prestas anymore. 0.8 mm thick so they are kind of in between lightweight and regular thickness tubes. I have good luck with these on the race bikes.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 09:48 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees