IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
HWA Fong / Duro Comp 3 tread tires, The ones sold at Porkchop - Anyone ride/race on them?
cruiserxx
post Jul 10 2012, 03:03 AM
Post #1

A Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,951

I just started a 26" retro project - SE O.M. Flyer - chrome - to be specific. I wanted to go with these tires from Porkchop BMX. They have always had cool stuff. They look like they have the classic Comp 3 tread, but my concern is the aramid (folding) bead compared to steel bead. I've heard mixed reviews on other Duro tires, some not so good. But these tires apparently have real skinwalls and do look nice. I just want to make sure that if I decide to race my O.M., that the bead is not going to give. Any reviews on these particular tires? Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
XBMXR
post Jul 10 2012, 10:57 AM
Post #2

Intermediate

Member No.: 1,433

I've just installed them on a 24" torker and they do look good, especially since your other choices in skinwalls are pretty slim. I will say the sizes are no where near what they were back in the day. Specifically the 24x2.125 is way smaller and narrower than an original CompIII, it is more like a 24x1.9. there is a big difference, at least in the 24" size. not sure if anyone else noticed this as well.. Also the knobbies look a little bit shorter than the OG ones. here's a pic of both a Porkchop one and an original CompIII in 24x2.125 fully inflated for comparison. I have some 26" as well but haven't installed them yet, I'm assuming the size difference will be the same.

(IMG:http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j470/young51/photo-64.jpg)

+Quote Post
Len WEED
post Jul 10 2012, 05:46 PM
Post #3

Intermediate

Member No.: 5,439

I ran them on my 26" Quadangle and I rode it everywhere including the track, no problems whatsoever.

+Quote Post
RodneyR
post Jul 10 2012, 07:19 PM
Post #4

AA Pro

Member No.: 8,822

I have some , but havent raced em. they are kinda loose on the rims ( 26" arayas ) no tire levers needed to get em on or off. when I inflate the tubes , the tire is hard to keep centered on the rim. this results in the dreaded tire hop!! took a coulpa times to get it pretty even on the rim but its still not perfect. I like em for cruising around but dont really think I"ll be leaning over in the first turn on these. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
Len WEED
post Jul 10 2012, 10:33 PM
Post #5

Intermediate

Member No.: 5,439

QUOTE (RodneyR @ Jul 10 2012, 07:19 PM) *
I have some , but havent raced em. they are kinda loose on the rims ( 26" arayas ) no tire levers needed to get em on or off. when I inflate the tubes , the tire is hard to keep centered on the rim. this results in the dreaded tire hop!! took a coulpa times to get it pretty even on the rim but its still not perfect. I like em for cruising around but dont really think I"ll be leaning over in the first turn on these. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

When you install them rub some watered down dish soap around the bead and then inflate them pretty hard and you will hear the bead pop and seat on your rim. Then there will be no tire hop and they will run true.

+Quote Post
RodneyR
post Jul 10 2012, 11:19 PM
Post #6

AA Pro

Member No.: 8,822

Thanks Len WEED. I'll give it a try. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drinks.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 12:04 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees