Reply to this topicStart new topic
Central Florida Covered BMX Track, Too much darn rain
rustydial
post Jul 5 2012, 06:46 PM
Post #1

Novice

Group: Members
Member No.: 33,593

First off, hats off to all the great BMXers from Florida over the years who have worked around the weather. Keeping a consistent, predictable training schedule is a challenge here I am finding out real quick. I've never seen more rain in my life lol.

I'm sure the topic has been looked at before so what obstacles have worked against an open air covered facility?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OLDSMARBMX
post Jul 5 2012, 06:56 PM
Post #2

A Pro
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 21,437

QUOTE (rustydial @ Jul 5 2012, 08:46 PM) *
First off, hats off to all the great BMXers from Florida over the years who have worked around the weather. Keeping a consistent, predictable training schedule is a challenge here I am finding out real quick. I've never seen more rain in my life lol.

I'm sure the topic has been looked at before so what obstacles have worked against an open air covered facility?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and $$$$$$$$$$$, get those coffee cans all dug up and lets order for red iron and panels.

Not just the training but keeping up with the tracks as well.

You go from one of the most dry states to one of the wettest ones and in one of the wettest summer we have had in a few years. It will get better man well, come October. Give me a ring next week take care, John

+Quote Post
rustydial
post Jul 5 2012, 07:37 PM
Post #3

Novice

Great point on the track upkeep too. Hats off to the TO's and their crews as well. I'll give ya that call. I'll be in Chicago on business all week but I'll buzz ya! Peace. Blue Jesus sends love.

This post has been edited by rustydial: Jul 5 2012, 07:38 PM

+Quote Post
MeredithJL
post Jul 5 2012, 08:21 PM
Post #4

AA Pro

Member No.: 17,979

Rusty, actually this year has been better so far for ORL in terms of being able to open. The past couple weeks screwed the entire state, but overall, ORL has been luckier this year than last in terms of rain-outs. But I do empathize with you, lol--the middle of the state isn't part of the 'year-round sunshine' plan, lol. See you there soon.

+Quote Post
cultfreak
post Jul 5 2012, 09:27 PM
Post #5

Expert

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 28,639

on a sad note.. Orlando got messed up really bad this past tuesdayl they said today unless they get alot of help the track will possibly be closed until August.

+Quote Post
Sniper
post Jul 6 2012, 01:53 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 34,814

I have a dream.....The Jagermeister Sniper-dome!

+Quote Post
Stileman
post Jul 6 2012, 06:57 PM
Post #7

AA Pro

Member No.: 18,091

Florida in the summer time means rain. Soon you will become an expert at predicting the weather. Gotta have he weather channel on the favorites. Learn watch it. Rain always balls up Florida.

+Quote Post
ILBMX
post Jul 6 2012, 07:11 PM
Post #8

Expert

Group: Track Management
Member No.: 20,073

QUOTE (rustydial @ Jul 5 2012, 08:37 PM) *
Great point on the track upkeep too. Hats off to the TO's and their crews as well. I'll give ya that call. I'll be in Chicago on business all week but I'll buzz ya! Peace. Blue Jesus sends love.

Come check out The Hill BMX when you are in Chicago - The track is open to ride everyday and its been a hot dry summer here.

(IMG:http://memberfiles.freewebs.com/98/05/40930598/photos/STATE-QUALIFIER-5-26-2012/The%20Hill%20106.jpg)

+Quote Post
rustydial
post Jul 6 2012, 08:40 PM
Post #9

Novice

I tell ya, a few more fun days like I had today at Daytona Beach boogie-boarding/body-boarding whatever you call it and I'm gonna gradually forget BMXing lol... I'm looking forward to actually trying the surf board soon too. The boogie board is fun but ya kind of feel like a squid on one when there are surfers around. LOL, It's like having fun on a moped and then some Harley dudes pull up. It is so nice being able to go to the beach without having to go on vacation to do it though. Gorgeous all day but we got slammed with a strong shower on the way home further inland on the way back around Sanford so I did get my daily rain in like clock work.

So back to my original inquiry... Money is an obvious and huge hurdle. I was just curious if any groups had gotten anywhere with any of the cities around here in the past. I'll tell ya this though.. I'd rather only be able to ride once every two weeks on a track with lips on the jumps that is super fun to ride than to have a covered track that is perhaps shall I say less fun to ride without the lippy jumps and a more cookie cutter design. I'll take the more aggressive tracks and the chance of rain any day.

ILBMX, would love to visit The Hill someday. Always heard great things about that track. I don't think the schedule this next week will permit it but maybe someday hopefully.

Oh yeah, Michelle ran into Shelby James the other day. Mike C, how much a finder's fee for a "Where are they now?" podcast interview?

Peace yall

+Quote Post
Sniper
post Jul 7 2012, 08:23 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 34,814

As big as the X-games have become why is Disney not a player? Seems like a natural fit to me. Could easily sustain year round SX training with amateur camps that employ the pro's. A year round X-game facility, mountain bike, DJ...yada yada yada . Certainly they have $$$$$ and even more $$$$$ to build a a covered facility. As well as the "name" to draw corporate sponsorship (ie: subsidy) into the fray. Not to mention, their own media network.

I'm calling Troy to start darfting the inaugural TLD kevlar reinforced Disneycarbon mouse ear helmets!

Sniper.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 07:09 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees