Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1978 DG, Retoring
brettbaugh
post Jun 29 2012, 07:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,414

I just purchased a 1978 DG frame and am planning to restore this classic to mint condition. Any tips as to where I can find what the specific original parts (brand names) were? Forks, headset, goose neck, bars, cranks, pedals, brakes, seat post, seat, grips, etc....../

brettbaugh@cox.net
Brett 714-713-6556
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
broke L345
post Jun 29 2012, 08:20 PM
Post #2

AA Pro

Member No.: 7,548

good luck, nice frame. you'll find your stuff on web sites and ebay. may take a while though, enjoy the ride.

+Quote Post
Dr.Frankenripper
post Jun 30 2012, 11:00 AM
Post #3

A Pro

Member No.: 7,189

Before you dive headstrong into a high priced resto that may not even benefit the find - what type of condition is it in - you may find its easier to find presentable survivor condition priced items to complement it and keep its character in its patina, plus you won't feel so squeamish should you choose later to ride it from time to time either - shiney gems turn into dusty gems anyway and the sexy is lost too all that collagen and fluff. IMO

Don't do what so many do only to regret they're decisions too late.

+Quote Post
SE Mark
post Jul 1 2012, 07:13 PM
Post #4

A Pro

Member No.: 5,763

I am not sure how far you want to go with it or what you have to work with but just know that if you are doing a full resto with correct parts it's not cheap. Alot of people on here will tell you not to mess with the finish because that it's orginal but it's your build and if you want a mint full restored all out show bike do it! I have a don't regret it in the least I also have a few with orginal finish it's your bike do it the way you want ,it's in you garage not anybody elses. You can still find the parts check Ebay and other bmx sites if you take some time you will find the parts you need at a fair price. Good Luck and post some photo!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 02:04 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees