IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Gt performer/pro performer Taiwanese or Japanese ?
shroud
post Jun 29 2012, 09:54 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 37,835

Hello all , slightly confused over the origins of a gt pro performer. I have read that if you have four holes in the rear drop outs that the frame was made in taiwan but these were not made there till 87. The serial on this says it is 86 , it is 1860069 with a fs stamped below on dropout and four holes in the rear drops. It has the gt 4130 stamp at the end of the top tube. Any solid knowledge would be very much appreciated. I have read that 3 holes on the rear drops means built in the us and four for Taiwan , maybe it is a japanese built frame? It was bought as a f/f with new powder coat , not quite the right shade of yellow. Thanks ;-)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mr coasterbrake
post Jun 29 2012, 08:15 PM
Post #2

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 249

you have a USA made - january 1986 - frame...for certain.

japanese frames use a different serial sequence and location (as did taiwan frames). taiwan frames didn't start til the later part of 1986.

+Quote Post
shroud
post Jun 30 2012, 03:01 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (mr coasterbrake @ Jun 30 2012, 03:15 AM) *
you have a USA made - january 1986 - frame...for certain.

japanese frames use a different serial sequence and location (as did taiwan frames). taiwan frames didn't start til the later part of 1986.

Ok thanks mr coasterbrake, but what's the four or three hole configuration on the rear drops about, and is it full cro molly or part?
The welding is not that neat and I am afraid to hop or jump it incase I crack it!
37 year old kid on his first gt performer! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
mr coasterbrake
post Jul 1 2012, 07:49 PM
Post #4

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 249

i don't think the 3/4 hole thing has ever been definitively sorted out as 100% reliable because a lot of that old stuff was made with whatever pieces were available/accessible at a given moment.

that said, yours is full CRMO. all the GT USA made freestyle frames were. and yes, sometimes the welding is not so pretty - even on USA frames. (actually, the japanese stuff often was more consistent.)

+Quote Post
shroud
post Jul 2 2012, 12:12 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (mr coasterbrake @ Jul 2 2012, 02:49 AM) *
i don't think the 3/4 hole thing has ever been definitively sorted out as 100% reliable because a lot of that old stuff was made with whatever pieces were available/accessible at a given moment.

that said, yours is full CRMO. all the GT USA made freestyle frames were. and yes, sometimes the welding is not so pretty - even on USA frames. (actually, the japanese stuff often was more consistent.)

Thanks again for your help ;-) cheers

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 07:48 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees