Reply to this topicStart new topic
BMX News Podcast Scoop: Alienation Brings Tubeless to BMX
MikeCarruth
post Jun 27 2012, 06:30 PM
Post #1

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 6,767

(IMG:http://www.bmxnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/alienation_tcs.jpg)

Just posted a podcast with Alienation's Zach Taylor, talking about their forthcoming Tubeless Compatible System Tire and Rim system, hitting stores this fall.

Also includes a video of Zach attacking the "Graffiti" tire with an icepick, and watching it self-seal four or five times.

AND, Zach says it will take at least a pound off your bike.

Give it a listen, and come back and give us your opinion.

Listen now on BMXNEWS.COM

Best,

M

(IMG:http://www.whoistic.com/sts/sts_banner.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Riddler Al-F
post Jun 27 2012, 08:29 PM
Post #2

Super Villain: Advocates Sling Shotters and Rides Clipped In

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,300

This is awesome! Finally in BMX! I have been running tubeless on my MTB for 4-5 years now and haven't looked back! Actually my flat tires on the single track have been reduced dramatically.

But like he said, change out the sealant, 6-12 months. Also, I ripped a tire and I needed a tube to get through the day. truth is the tires that were on the bike that day were 2 years old and I ran them entirely too long, they should have been changed out at the beginning of MTB season.

Stans No Tube Sealant Rawks!

This post has been edited by The Riddler Al-F: Jun 27 2012, 08:39 PM

+Quote Post
PedalWrench
post Jun 27 2012, 09:25 PM
Post #3

A Pro

Member No.: 26,051

Sa-weet! BMX is way overdue for UST tires & rims. Can't wait to see these. But I do have to say, it's pretty tough to cut out a half pound out of a tire/tube/rim matrix. With the lighter tubes coming in at well under 100 grams, the gives and takes involved make a significat weight loss hard to come by. Stan's is pretty good stuff. It's really quite amazing what the Stan's system can do for the performance of a Micro-Knobby or a Plower Band/Block. But if you slam the tire-front or rear, even with pretty high air pressure, you can "Burp" the tire. That can end/ruin your race fairly quickly. My experience with the road & MTB USTs results in little if any weight loss, but some noticeable feel difference & less flats on the road units and no snake bite on the MTB. Alienation should have a go on this. So, good luck guys.

+Quote Post
RadicalRich
post Jun 28 2012, 09:19 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 16,631

Awesome as usual Mike, they will be great here in Costa Rica!(IMG:https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/164536_190937964265807_7561494_n.jpg)

+Quote Post
Zachary
post Jun 28 2012, 12:36 PM
Post #5

Novice
Group Icon

Group: Advertisers
Member No.: 8,377

@PedalWrench thanks for the insightful comment(s).

Re: the reduction in the half pound, you’re not only cutting weight in the tubes, but the rims as well. Our Runaway rim is roughly 425 grams whereas the Malice TCS rim is 325 grams. An average tube is 115 to 120 grams. That is 100g + 100g + 115g + 115g = 430 grams (454 grams to a pound) savings. Our 20 x 1.85 TCS Graffiti tire which is as wide as a popular 20x1.95 is only 430 grams. That is another 70 grams savings x 2. We can pull a pound off most if not all bikes with our system.

As a note the only thing we share in common with Stan’s is the sealant which we purchase from them and rebrand otherwise our systems may look similar but it is not.

In terms of burping air; if you try to run a ghetto tubeless system yes this will happen; however, with our system it will not. I encourage all to read the following link http://www.alienationbmx.com/tcs-tubeless-compatible-system for more information on the program. It has an illustration of the internal rim tire-well which depicts the bead locking channels we’ve created to prevent this from happening.

Hope these comments help. During this soft launch we will continue to answer questions as well as expand on the information we put out. The program has some arms and legs and this is only the beginning.

Zach Taylor
Alienation

+Quote Post
The Riddler Al-F
post Jun 28 2012, 06:26 PM
Post #6

Super Villain: Advocates Sling Shotters and Rides Clipped In

Member No.: 7,300

MTBs burp usually because of the low tire pressures that we run. Higher pressure will lower that risk. However, ripping a hard turn putting lateral stress on the bead does increase the risk, something to consider with BMX racing while doing block passes/door shutting.

+Quote Post
cruiser247
post Jun 28 2012, 11:42 PM
Post #7

Expert

Member No.: 20,292

Will it be available in 24"?

+Quote Post
Zachary
post Jun 29 2012, 12:34 PM
Post #8

Novice
Group Icon

Group: Advertisers
Member No.: 8,377

You must crawl before you walk. We’re starting with 20”, but eventually we’ll open 24” as well as minis.

Zach Taylor
Alienation

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 11:06 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees