9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2013 Worlds and Clips
Largus
post Jun 26 2012, 08:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 29,685

Was at a clinic here last night and heard from a reliable source that for the 2013 Worlds, the UCI will put a clip rule for challenge classes 14 and under. ie -NO CLIPS To me this rule is mind boggling and appears to just be catering to the European countries that have made a high age clip rule. Is it a rule just to punish USABMX riders and prevent the US dominance of the recent worlds? Here in BC, Canada our UCI body just installed a 9 and under clip rule this season because "clips were hindering rider development." A few parents became annoyed and quit racing under that sanction, whilst other parents questioned worrying about rider development instead of just trying to keep the kids racing. Having riden and raced mountain bikes (no bmx experence) for 20 years clips are second nature for me and would never dream of riding flats ever, even in the most demanding and technical trails. Once you've mastered them, you become one with the bike and getting out is never an issue and they just become second nature. So why the push now to keep kids off of clips at 14 and under? Shouldn't it be the family or riders choice? Don't all of the top US riders use clips? Do they have any issues at all with mastering their skills? This just seems draconian and backwards to me. There are now even times when I watch racers with clips being saved from crashing, the old dreaded huck a buck through the rythym, where on flats, feet come off and down they go. If this rule really does go through, it's really disappointing and feels like a step backwards.

This post has been edited by Largus: Jun 26 2012, 08:54 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
headsnap
post Jun 26 2012, 08:36 PM
Post #2

AA Pro

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 9,771

QUOTE (Largus @ Jun 26 2012, 10:27 PM) *
This just seems draconian and backwards to me.

yup, welcome to the world of BMX!

+Quote Post
edwards
post Jun 26 2012, 09:09 PM
Post #3

A Pro

Member No.: 22,240

Does Johan still work for the UCI? if so could someone, Mike C., ask him and get straight to the point with no BS.

+Quote Post
woodybmx86
post Jun 26 2012, 10:26 PM
Post #4

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 3,714

sigh. there was just a video up of one of the top young elites talking about flats, and riding them for years, to learn skills.

+Quote Post
TM of the Stars
post Jun 27 2012, 12:27 AM
Post #5

Intermediate

Group: BMX Industry
Member No.: 4,408

Kids (and their parents) putting clippies on before the kid learns essential bike-handling skills is the step backwards...not taking them away. Parents desperately need to be educated. I know little Johnny really wants them because he's gotten two thirds in 9 novice and the clip's are gonna help him take it to the next level, but putting them on too early because they're magic and they will help him win is chasing instant gratification, in lieu of long-term development.

It's hard to explain how clipless pedals ruins kids' skill development, but they definitely do. I see the grotesque riding style they cause on a daily basis. Look no further than your nearest rhythm section and watch the clippy kids hump the bars when trying to pump or manual...it's horrible. Ask any pro or trainer out there and they'll tell you..."Learn the bike-handling skills on flat pedals!" This is a case where (most) parents definitely don't know best. But hey, I understand, little Johnny needs that big trophy NOW!

Sorry for my strong opinion but watching the kids wrestle with clipless pedals before they can even balance on the gate makes me mental.

+Quote Post
bmxundergrounddo...
post Jun 27 2012, 04:16 AM
Post #6

A Pro

Member No.: 14,024

QUOTE (billybadass @ Jun 27 2012, 02:27 AM) *
Kids (and their parents) putting clippies on before the kid learns essential bike-handling skills is the step backwards...not taking them away. Parents desperately need to be educated. I know little Johnny really wants them because he's gotten two thirds in 9 novice and the clip's are gonna help him take it to the next level, but putting them on too early because they're magic and they will help him win is chasing instant gratification, in lieu of long-term development.

It's hard to explain how clipless pedals ruins kids' skill development, but they definitely do. I see the grotesque riding style they cause on a daily basis. Look no further than your nearest rhythm section and watch the clippy kids hump the bars when trying to pump or manual...it's horrible. Ask any pro or trainer out there and they'll tell you..."Learn the bike-handling skills on flat pedals!" This is a case where (most) parents definitely don't know best. But hey, I understand, little Johnny needs that big trophy NOW!

Sorry for my strong opinion but watching the kids wrestle with clipless pedals before they can even balance on the gate makes me mental.

If the kid is headed to the worlds, I doubt the use of clips has hindered development.

Banning them is the most ridiculous thing I've heard of. Why not come up with some sort of resistance mechanism to slow the kid down while we're at it. Sounds like restricter plate racing to me.

+Quote Post
Bikemonkeys
post Jun 27 2012, 05:29 AM
Post #7

Vet Pro

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 2,491

Clips should just be banned outright. Won't that help bring back the dirt jumpers and the shoe companies?

Seriously, UCI will tell us what bikes we can ride and we'll like it. At least they've not yet made rules about our frames, yet.

+Quote Post
RodneyR
post Jun 27 2012, 06:10 AM
Post #8

AA Pro

Member No.: 8,822

I think this is a GREAT Rule!!! AND ANYONE calling clippless pedals " clips " should be Banned TOO!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
LogansDad
post Jun 27 2012, 06:23 AM
Post #9

Intermediate

Member No.: 33,611

I hope we find out for sure sooner rather than later. My wife and I met with a travel agent this past weekend to get a budget together for a nice two week Australia and NZ vacation next year. If this ban does go into place I would think it would cause us to spend our dollars elsewhere.

Just a side note: My son rode flats for MUCH longer than all of his friends at our track and still trains reguarly on flats. If an anouncement was made soon enough he could train more on flats.

+Quote Post
bnd
post Jun 27 2012, 06:31 AM
Post #10

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (billybadass @ Jun 27 2012, 06:27 AM) *

Yep. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/good3.gif)

b.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th September 2014 - 04:22 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees