IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
The Olympics, Good, Bad or Yawn for BMX?
zerocool
post Jun 26 2012, 07:14 AM
Post #1

Hacker and Phreaker

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,170

I was readin in the CF Monster thread and one of the guys said something interesting

"As a bike company why would I even want a rider there (Olympics that is)!? The event will barely get any media coverage anyway so that's a total black hole in regards to sponsor mileage."

That guy has a point. BMX has spent so much effort to make the olympic thing happen that it makes sense to ask: is it all worth it?

This isnt' to take nothing away from the riders who will be there. Really, it's not to take anything away from anyone.

It's just that you got hundreds of people flying around the world to SX events, we're changing the rules of the game (elimination of the three mains in ABA and changing the "pro means pro" way, etc to make it more like olympic rules). All the focus being taken away from regular BMX don't seem like its' a good thing for the sport especially if when its' all said & done we get a dribble of TV coverage and the BMX companys that paid to support these riders in the "olympic dream" are nowhere to be seen.

Can BMX be cut from the olympics? I know other sports have been dropped before. If that happened where would we be after spending all that time trying to make ourselves more like them?

So I ask: what's the point? Why is the olympics good or bad for BMX-or is it neither ?

This post has been edited by zerocool: Jun 26 2012, 07:16 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
edwards
post Jun 26 2012, 07:51 AM
Post #2

A Pro

Member No.: 22,240

Wow that's an interesting view from someone in the industry. What brought on this opinion? Do they not have any money to invest in the industry and need to have a quick R.O.I.? or are they just that negative. Hard to say as this was repeated by you and on forums we don't hear or see the persons vibe, attitude, missing excitement of emotion when someone speaks in a small group.

Seeing the coverage from the last Olympics we were in from all angles such as teaser spots (commercials) to coverage in print and the lack of coverage during the event I could see this opinion. Seeing that racing (not park or street riding) on almost every Olympic teaser, increased coverage from Times Square, USA Today, ESPN print and online, Now has a real prime time spot and is being used to pull the younger crowd in as the rating dwindle due to the vast selection of media. Also the Olympics wanting the X Games share of the pie.

Judging from the last games, yes it can be seen as a flash in the pan of a "what's that sport?" to where it is going now. You did say that you were not talking about the athletes themselves but I do see many companies that would not have taken the risk before doing so now. I see more companies wanting to risk, gamble, or flat out support the riders at the games for not just the business side of it but the passion or compassion to help out USA. We are not a government funded team and all events rely on support most of which is unseen. Talking with so many kids they are super excited about the Five we have going, even their favorite racer that didn't make the cut they still support them.

The sponsor mileage actually comes from said company with continued support not just in retaining the athlete but following with print, social media, branding items, and keeping the image in front of us the hopeful consumer.

I feel that I can't support a company that can't support one of its own and I don't want to know who said this as again I wasn't there listening to their tone but I hope they change their opinion after the games if not before.

+Quote Post
Bikemonkeys
post Jun 26 2012, 08:06 AM
Post #3

Vet Pro

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 2,491

It does seem like a lot of money being spent by a sponsor to fund a rider that might have a chance to go to the Olympics. It doesn't appear that a rider could make it on the team without international travel or a prolonged stay in California.

+Quote Post
FaithBMX
post Jun 26 2012, 08:21 AM
Post #4

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,311

The return for the sponsor would come from their own advertising and being able to hype their brand as being used by an Olympian.

+Quote Post
king66wa
post Jun 26 2012, 08:32 AM
Post #5

A Pro

Member No.: 19,036

QUOTE (Bikemonkeys @ Jun 26 2012, 10:06 PM) *
It does seem like a lot of money being spent by a sponsor to fund a rider that might have a chance to go to the Olympics. It doesn't appear that a rider could make it on the team without international travel or a prolonged stay in California.

Errrr, aren't USAC Team riders attending international events funded........ through the USAC (which has virtually zero income from BMX)??

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif)

+Quote Post
Bikemonkeys
post Jun 26 2012, 08:44 AM
Post #6

Vet Pro

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 2,491

QUOTE (king66wa @ Jun 26 2012, 09:32 AM) *
Errrr, aren't USAC Team riders attending international events funded........ through the USAC (which has virtually zero income from BMX)??

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif)

I thought they only took a few riders that way and they had to get to a few to prove they were worth USAC's help.

+Quote Post
snickadams
post Jun 26 2012, 09:57 AM
Post #7

A Pro
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 16,082

Once again we put our blinders on and only see what is happening in the USA. BMX is a global sport and while coverage in the United States was cut short due to the rain-out in 2008, it was not treated as such around the rest of the world. It is slated for three days of coverage on NBC in 2012 and from the costs they are charging for 30-second commercials, they are proud of the coverage.

I still think BMX is good for the Olympics and the Olympics is good for BMX.

+Quote Post
Thumperpilot
post Jun 26 2012, 10:06 AM
Post #8

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: BMX Industry
Member No.: 127

QUOTE (FaithBMX @ Jun 26 2012, 02:21 PM) *
The return for the sponsor would come from their own advertising and being able to hype their brand as being used by an Olympian.

I'd venture to say who ever said that doesn't promote their company ads with advertising very much. Probably a company the flowing the NAM deals to no end. hahaha..

As for the USAC Team. They have a "Funded Team" but it's only so many people. Not everyone wearing a USA jersey is a "Funded" rider.

Let's face reality here, the Olympics is a very expensive game to play. The X-Games/Dew Tour wants nothing to do with us. The Olympics are happy to have us. It's a good thing for our sport. It will receive world wide attention and NBC is telling us it will receive 4 hours of coverage on prime time slots.

When you cam attach Olympics to something, it's always a good thing. Case in point. Talking with my wife's co-worker the other day. She asks me how big BMX racing is an says her sons is interested. I then tell her it's in the Olympics and kids are getting full ride scholarships to college these days. She says, WOW Really??!! I had no idea BMX racing was so big and had such a world wide appeal. She said , Really?? Kids are going to college for BMX?? I said yep. it's BIG!!

One more person now knows BMX Racing is in the Olympics and can go to college for racing bikes. She now thinks we're the next best thing since sliced bread!

+Quote Post
CWracer
post Jun 26 2012, 10:20 AM
Post #9

A Pro

Member No.: 22,516

Anytime I mention to someone that BMX is an Olympic sport people's ears perk up. It generates meaningful awareness.
My son and I started racing because I heard that BMX was in the Olympics in 08. I never even watched it, but it was enough to make me think; "Man I used to love BMX. I need to get my son out to the track sometime.". We went, met some great people, watched a race and have been enjoying it and spending money on it ever since.

I cannot see a downside to this.

+Quote Post
AFarmer
post Jun 26 2012, 10:27 AM
Post #10

Intermediate

Group: Track Management
Member No.: 19,819

QUOTE (CWracer @ Jun 26 2012, 12:20 PM) *
Anytime I mention to someone that BMX is an Olympic sport people's ears perk up. It generates meaningful awareness.
My son and I started racing because I heard that BMX was in the Olympics in 08. I never even watched it, but it was enough to make me think; "Man I used to love BMX. I need to get my son out to the track sometime.". We went, met some great people, watched a race and have been enjoying it and spending money on it ever since.

I cannot see a downside to this.

Good for the industry?? I dont Know
Good for BMX?? This reply says it all.
If the olympics gets new people to the track it's worth every penny of it. The more that come will put money back into the industry over time.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2014 - 09:21 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees