Reply to this topicStart new topic
Olympic trial on NBC, great coverage
MikeCarruth
post Jun 25 2012, 07:26 AM
Post #16

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 6,767

The second time trial laps were mostly "cruise" laps, in which most of the guys either already had a satisfactory time, or didn't care about the top three points, and were resting up for the big show.

That was probably what you saw.

Not just in this format, but in general, it would be awesome to look at any component of a BMX racing program that enables the participants to "cruise" the track instead of race it, and eliminate or change it sufficiently so as to require actual racing. If you are going to expect to sell tickets to the public, the performers have to be performing. They are coming to see an Action. Sport.

I understand why cruise laps take place...I just think it's not very entertaining or dignified, vis a vis spectator sports.

This, of course, drifts into "what's good for the sport" territory, and that is not part of this thread.

Overall, I think the show was good. I would have like to seen some mention of our Women's team...and wholeheartedly agree that a racing-related commentator is needed on-air.

This seems like a role tailor-made for Donny Robinson, at some point (obviously not last week, and maybe not for a good long while, but he is the kind of guy I'm talking about). he could give the show both credibility, and entertainment value, as he's a colorful speaker.

Best,

M
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HA Y N
post Jun 25 2012, 07:41 AM
Post #17

AA Pro

Group: BMX Industry
Member No.: 2,268

I thought the coverage was very nice. I have a question. Our athletes had to wear issued jerseys and pants with no helmet sponsors allowed (to a point, like Redbull or Rockstar). After watching most of the track and field trials, I noticed they could wear whatever they wanted and their sponsors were well represented on their gear. Most had their colleges that they represented, but the paid professionals had Saucony right on their chest, Nike, etc. I wonder why our athletes weren't allowed to represent their sponsors in a way to get some coverage for them?

-Leasure

+Quote Post
Bikemonkeys
post Jun 25 2012, 08:07 AM
Post #18

Vet Pro

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 2,491

QUOTE (MikeCarruth @ Jun 25 2012, 08:26 AM) *
The second time trial laps were mostly "cruise" laps, in which most of the guys either already had a satisfactory time, or didn't care about the top three points, and were resting up for the big show.

That was probably what you saw.

Not just in this format, but in general, it would be awesome to look at any component of a BMX racing program that enables the participants to "cruise" the track instead of race it, and eliminate or change it sufficiently so as to require actual racing. If you are going to expect to sell tickets to the public, the performers have to be performing. They are coming to see an Action. Sport.

I understand why cruise laps take place...I just think it's not very entertaining or dignified, vis a vis spectator sports.

This, of course, drifts into "what's good for the sport" territory, and that is not part of this thread.

Overall, I think the show was good. I would have like to seen some mention of our Women's team...and wholeheartedly agree that a racing-related commentator is needed on-air.

This seems like a role tailor-made for Donny Robinson, at some point (obviously not last week, and maybe not for a good long while, but he is the kind of guy I'm talking about). he could give the show both credibility, and entertainment value, as he's a colorful speaker.

Best,

M

They only showed the top three time trials. It was during the motos. One guy just rolled in behind everyone. This was the race to pick who was going, even a slipped pedal or bad gate, you'd think they'd have gone for it.

+Quote Post
snickadams
post Jun 25 2012, 09:42 AM
Post #19

A Pro
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 16,082

QUOTE (HA Y N @ Jun 25 2012, 07:41 AM) *
I thought the coverage was very nice. I have a question. Our athletes had to wear issued jerseys and pants with no helmet sponsors allowed (to a point, like Redbull or Rockstar). After watching most of the track and field trials, I noticed they could wear whatever they wanted and their sponsors were well represented on their gear. Most had their colleges that they represented, but the paid professionals had Saucony right on their chest, Nike, etc. I wonder why our athletes weren't allowed to represent their sponsors in a way to get some coverage for them?

-Leasure

Their events didn't take place at the Olympic Training Center.

+Quote Post
HA Y N
post Jun 25 2012, 09:58 AM
Post #20

AA Pro

Group: BMX Industry
Member No.: 2,268

QUOTE (snickadams @ Jun 25 2012, 03:42 PM) *
Their events didn't take place at the Olympic Training Center.

Thanks, Nick!

-Leasure

+Quote Post
MikeCarruth
post Jun 25 2012, 10:24 AM
Post #21

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 6,767

QUOTE (Bikemonkeys @ Jun 25 2012, 09:07 AM) *
They only showed the top three time trials. It was during the motos. One guy just rolled in behind everyone. This was the race to pick who was going, even a slipped pedal or bad gate, you'd think they'd have gone for it.

I know, That's what I thought too. But the reality was that the only true "go for it" lap seemed to be the main. Prior to that point, there may have been "hold back" strategy applied--which Connor alluded to in the podcast I did with him last week. The only lap that mattered was the main...and the only person it mattered for was the guy who won that final lap. Wipe all other considerations off the board, roulette style.

Frankly, I think the team should be decided by taking the top three men and two women on the power rankings, period. That is a series of races where, to be in the top three/two, performance must be displayed over a long period of time. It's not one lap and you're either in or out. The current method is better television, and good PR value for the sport, that's true, but I'm not sure it is better competition.

When you look at it, that's who we ended up with anyway, so the system worked well. I'm just saying we could have done it without staging a huge event, and without putting the athletes at risk (every trip around that track in full-speed traffic is a spin of the chamber). Plus, if you knew who the team was in May after the worlds, you'd have another month of prep for the team.

Of course, we're just talkin' here...opinions are like armpits (everyone's got two of them), so those are mine.

Best,

M

+Quote Post
Stromania
post Jun 25 2012, 11:11 AM
Post #22

Expert

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,794

QUOTE (Bikemonkeys @ Jun 25 2012, 09:07 AM) *

I saw what you are talking about. I believe it was in the first moto. It might have been Bradford, but he came unclipped. They showed a replay in slow motion from behind the gate, and you could clearly see him unclip.

+Quote Post
Bob D
post Jun 25 2012, 12:41 PM
Post #23

A Pro

Member No.: 7,851

Watching the coverage I have to wonder why we only get 3? Corben deserves to be there too!
And my hat is off to g-mo, he did an unbelievable job on this coverage! I now understand why he was there a week early to set up. I will never underestimate him again!

+Quote Post
Bikemonkeys
post Jun 25 2012, 12:45 PM
Post #24

Vet Pro

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 2,491

QUOTE (Bob D @ Jun 25 2012, 01:41 PM) *
Watching the coverage I have to wonder why we only get 3? Corben deserves to be there too!
And my hat is off to g-mo, he did an unbelievable job on this coverage! I now understand why he was there a week early to set up. I will never underestimate him again!

Olympics have a maximum amount of people that can compete. BMX is limited to a max of 3 men and 2 women.

+Quote Post
dRanes
post Jun 25 2012, 01:52 PM
Post #25

Expert

Member No.: 27,901

QUOTE (reedhamilton @ Jun 24 2012, 11:42 AM) *
If you are a fan of (or participant in) bmx racing and want to see the sport grow in the U.S., then let's hope for an American men's and/or women's gold medal in London. That would almost insure prime-time, same-day taped coverage with the athlete background/storytelling that NBC does so well. And that's when you have the possiblity of creating a breakout star for a little-known sport, AKA Apolo Ohno.

Exactly. I was going through the "Olympics" On Demand channel the other day and could not find one single mention of BMX. They also had stuff from Beijing 2008, but again - no BMX whatsoever. I think it will take a Gold to get the attention of the masses. A pair of them would do wonders. Let's hope they can do it!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 03:21 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees