Reply to this topicStart new topic
Has USABMX been good for Canadian Bmx?
MXNate
post Jun 17 2012, 05:15 PM
Post #1

Expert

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,369

Not making a judgement, but genuinely interested to get opinions. I'm on the border with Michigan and do all my racing there but would like to start doing some Provincials and some Canadian Nationals as well. I know a couple of years ago the series was struggling, has USABMX made a difference and are things getting better?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ANT DOG 3:16
post Jun 18 2012, 07:17 AM
Post #2

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 3,739

From the impression I got from one yes, I met a candian a few months ago and he seeemed happy. I know some others I can ask.

+Quote Post
RedMist
post Jun 18 2012, 10:55 AM
Post #3

A Pro

Member No.: 33,937

I know rider numbers are up at the 2 local tracks we go to. That's a good thing.
I wish the ABA would change the rule about US Nationals not counting toward CNAG, when Canadian Nationals count toward USNAG.
Most Canadian Nationals are on the West coast, so it's a little tough for an East coast rider to compete for CNAG.

+Quote Post
vjorrand
post Jun 18 2012, 12:42 PM
Post #4

Expert

Group: Track Management
Member No.: 27,481

QUOTE (RedMist @ Jun 18 2012, 12:55 PM) *
I know rider numbers are up at the 2 local tracks we go to. That's a good thing.
I wish the ABA would change the rule about US Nationals not counting toward CNAG, when Canadian Nationals count toward USNAG.
Most Canadian Nationals are on the West coast, so it's a little tough for an East coast rider to compete for CNAG.

But note that only Canadian racers can use Canadian nationals as part of their US NAG points. This seems to just be there to allow Canadians to go to the US grands without attending 3 full US national weekends and be in competion for a US NAG plate. It does nothing for US racers.
The equivalent rule would be to let US racers use US scores and qualify for a Canadian NAG ranking (Not going to happen).
What you are asking for would be like allowing US riders to use Canadian scores to go to the US Grands (Definitely a bad idea).

While I see your point, the only realistic solution to your problem is more BMX Canada tracks in the East, resulting in a more balanced BMX Canada membership and thus more Canadian nationals scheduled in the East.

Vincent

+Quote Post
delirious
post Jun 18 2012, 01:37 PM
Post #5

Expert

Member No.: 1,881

QUOTE (vjorrand @ Jun 18 2012, 02:42 PM) *
But note that only Canadian racers can use Canadian nationals as part of their US NAG points. This seems to just be there to allow Canadians to go to the US grands without attending 3 full US national weekends and be in competion for a US NAG plate. It does nothing for US racers.
The equivalent rule would be to let US racers use US scores and qualify for a Canadian NAG ranking (Not going to happen).
What you are asking for would be like allowing US riders to use Canadian scores to go to the US Grands (Definitely a bad idea).

While I see your point, the only realistic solution to your problem is more BMX Canada tracks in the East, resulting in a more balanced BMX Canada membership and thus more Canadian nationals scheduled in the East.

Vincent

Is this new? In the past US riders have been able to use the Canadian races towards US NAG points. Was there a rule change?

+Quote Post
extol2
post Jun 18 2012, 01:40 PM
Post #6

Intermediate

Member No.: 33,601

Has USABMX been good for Canadian Bmx? yes

+Quote Post
lager99
post Jun 18 2012, 01:48 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 37,738

Definitely... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
cwstnsko
post Jun 18 2012, 02:04 PM
Post #8

Expert

Member No.: 30,566

QUOTE (delirious @ Jun 18 2012, 12:37 PM) *
Is this new? In the past US riders have been able to use the Canadian races towards US NAG points. Was there a rule change?

It is my understanding that Canadian nationals can be counted towards US NAG for US riders. There was some discussion of a limitation on how many Canadian Nationals could be used based on the number of US Nationals raced, but it was unclear whether the limitation applied to US riders, Canadian riders, or both. I heard that number of Nationals in the West and the US riders getting national points is partially justified by the fact that there is only 1 US National held in the NW.

As far as I can tell with Canadian BMX in general, it still seems partially fragmented by Provincial Organizations which are independently aligned to the UCI. There are many Canadian BMX programs which have no relationship to USABMX at all.

+Quote Post
vjorrand
post Jun 18 2012, 02:27 PM
Post #9

Expert

Member No.: 27,481

QUOTE (cwstnsko @ Jun 18 2012, 04:04 PM) *
It is my understanding that Canadian nationals can be counted towards US NAG for US riders. There was some discussion of a limitation on how many Canadian Nationals could be used based on the number of US Nationals raced, but it was unclear whether the limitation applied to US riders, Canadian riders, or both. I heard that number of Nationals in the West and the US riders getting national points is partially justified by the fact that there is only 1 US National held in the NW.

As far as I can tell with Canadian BMX in general, it still seems partially fragmented by Provincial Organizations which are independently aligned to the UCI. There are many Canadian BMX programs which have no relationship to USABMX at all.

I guess I misread it then, but here is what the rule says:
QUOTE (2012 aba rulebook)
Canadian riders participating in Canadian national events will receive Canadian national points and will earn U.S. national points as well. Canadian riders participating in Canadian national series events will receive U.S. national points once they have participated in a U.S. national event(s). For each U.S. national, one national score earned at a Canadian national event will be applied toward a Canadian rider’s U.S. national standing. Ex: A Canadian rider who participates only in Canadian national series events will be awarded only Canadian National Points. A Canadian rider who participates in two Canadian national events and two U.S. national events, will be awarded points for all four events toward his U.S. national standing.

It keeps saying "Canadian riders" thus my understanding of it. But I am new to the ABA so I probably got it wrong.

Vincent

+Quote Post
MXNate
post Jun 18 2012, 05:11 PM
Post #10

Expert

Member No.: 18,369

Its good to hear all the positives, sounds like there doing something right. I agree we need to push to have a unified sanction coast to coast, I don't see why that could'nt be Usabmx??? Don't get me wrong, I like racing in the States but as a Canadian I think it would be rad to race for a Provincial or National championship.

Has anyone got details on the new track in London, Ont, I think its at London sports West??? Lots of rumour, they're even listed on the usabmx site but nothing more than that just yet.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2014 - 10:26 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees