Reply to this topicStart new topic
DMC Back on Haro
Herb Syntec
post Jun 16 2012, 09:39 PM
Post #1

Reclassified to A Pro

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 8,334

DMC is a legend of the sport. Up there with the greatest. Wasn't sure if I should put this here or Mid-school since, but figured since he turned pro in '84 it was pre cut-off. Obviously he is still riding. Unbelievable. Hands down my favorite rider to this day. Pretty cool to see him getting a place on a team 25 years after turning pro.

(IMG:http://p.vitalbmx.com/photos/stories/2012/06/14/full_Screen_shot_2012_06_14_at_5.49.03_PM.jpg?1339722094)
Dennis McCoy Back on Haro

Big news here - Dennis McCoy has rejoined the Haro team! Read the official press release below.

BMX Legend Dennis McCoy reunites with Haro Bikes

Vista, CA. Haro Bicycles is proud to announce that BMX legend Dennis McCoy has reunited with he brand he turned Pro on more than 25 years ago!

“A page is not enough room to describe just how excited all of us are to be reunited with Dennis but we’ll give it our best shot. I’m sure that an announcement like this might come as a surprise to most but it’s actually something that has been in the discussion phase for more than 3 years when the idea was first presented by current members of Team Haro” said Joe Hawk, Haro’s COO.

Dennis will join Haro as an inaugural member of the Haro Legends Team, a newly created role that includes not only sponsorship but also an ambassadorship role and helping Haro with brand shaping projects for the future. The line between the Legends Team and Team Haro will be nearly invisible as Dennis will join the team at BMX Worlds in Cologne, the contest season, and on their upcoming trip to Japan.

“DMC is all things BMX and the same can be said for Haro. This alliance strengthens our organization not only in our ability to communicate our history and our heritage to the public but to collaborate with our management team on many exciting projects going forward. Aside from any other reason its just plain fun and that’s BMX. His leadership role on legends is designed to extend beyond the day he rides his final contest on a Haro, the bike he turned pro on in 1986. While he might retire from competition at some point, he’ll never retire from BMX” added Hawk.

“Getting back on the company you started your career with is pretty special. DMC is a legend and for three generations he has continued to kill it on a BMX bike. Giant Abubaca's 8ft up to 900's every other weekend, he's seen it all and has 1000 stories to prove it. I grew up watching him on BMX videos, now I'm finally going on tour with him. DMC has been regarded as the grandfather of freestyle for over 20 years and I think he has still got a few big moves left in him” said Colin Mackay, Haro’s Team Manager. “DMC will help us at Haro Bikes truly define the original days of BMX freestyle and help keep that spirit and culture of Haro Bikes alive” added Mackay.

“I met Bob Haro in my hometown of Kansas City in the summer of ’84”, explained Dennis McCoy. “A few months later the man that started it all asked me to join his team, which was full of riders I admired. I was flown out to California to ride in the brand new AFA Masters Series, and a seemingly endless journey began. The incredible list of riders that have been part of the Haro Family over the years is a virtual who’s who of BMX history and includes some of my lifelong friends. I can’t really put into words how cool it feels to make it back home after all these years”.

“The current team is full of amazing riders and I look forward to continuing this journey with them or years to come”, commented Dennis “….and who knows where that will take us next. I want to personally thank Joe Hawk as well as Colin Mackay and Ryan Nyquist and everyone at Haro for making this a reality.”

That journey that Dennis spoke of continues now on Haro, and so does the fun!

Maybe you guys care, maybe you don't.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jeff S
post Jun 18 2012, 02:12 PM
Post #2

AA Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,864

Thanks for posting. I think this is great. Really cool to see Haro forming some kind of legends team. I wonder who else is on that team? I'd think Wilkerson, Blyther and Dave Nourie at the very least. I'm glad to see he'll be at the Worlds this year. He's definitely got to be part of any big Haro reunion like the one they've got planned this year. Can't wait to see footage of this.

It's funny how people today don't know Dennis as a flatlander. They should watch some of his runs from the 80's. One of the best ever. Right up there with Martin, Woody, and RL for sure.

Jeff

+Quote Post
oldschoolrider88
post Jun 18 2012, 03:57 PM
Post #3

AA Pro

Member No.: 4,608

Wilkerson wont get back on Haro...he has his own brand, so i dont think it would make much sense.

+Quote Post
John Zook
post Jun 19 2012, 09:07 PM
Post #4

Expert

Member No.: 202

chad degrout (sp)... a little birdy mentioned that 2 me the other day...

+Quote Post
pwh4130
post Jun 21 2012, 06:50 AM
Post #5

Still riding after all these years.

Group: BMX Industry
Member No.: 4,640

Chad has his own company like Wilkerson and Mirra. I'd love to see Nourie get picked up but they don't make a frame that is flatland friendly for him. Unless they send him a cheap complete. That was my nightmare working for a big bike company. I couldn't ride their frames with a TT about 2 inches too long.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 05:11 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees