IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

34 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Locals, Weak local rider/moto count at tracks across the country
Required local racing.
Should USABMX require a minimum number of locals to earn a NAG plate?
YES [ 87 ] ** [73.73%]
NO [ 25 ] ** [21.19%]
UNSURE [ 6 ] ** [5.08%]
If USABMX required a minimum number of locals to qualify for a NAG plate, what should that number be?
5 [ 35 ] ** [29.66%]
10 [ 46 ] ** [38.98%]
15 [ 22 ] ** [18.64%]
20 [ 15 ] ** [12.71%]
Total Votes: 118
Guests cannot vote 
JAF2
post Jun 1 2012, 04:27 PM
Post #1

Intermediate

Group: Members
Member No.: 36,672

I travel weekly on business and usually ship my bike to get some track time in the cities I visit. BMX people are a different breed and I enjoy meeting them and making new friends. What I have found at most of the tracks I visit is dwindling moto counts - usually around 10 motos. I feel the local scene is the key to introducing new riders to the sport and finding ways to pump it up should be a priority.

Should USABMX require a minimum number of locals to qualify for a NAG plate?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nigelnyc
post Jun 1 2012, 04:33 PM
Post #2

A Pro

Member No.: 2,423

I think 5 should be a fair amount...if people are really interested in getting a national number than it should be a non-issue but I guess you could argue both sides. I don't think the locals should exceed more than 10% towards your national total though.

+Quote Post
CoopersDad
post Jun 1 2012, 05:04 PM
Post #3

Expert

Member No.: 18,487

Rockford BMX had 72 moto's at their state qualifier last weekend + Strider. Most tracks here in Illinois and Wisconsin are up 10+ moto's weekly! Local races/points have nothing to do with national races/points rankings and should not have. An extremely low percentage of racers do not race locals in favor of racing nationals, this debate has been going on for decades and is null.

The real reason any local participation suffers is due to lack of commitment from the parents and or guardians to get the racers to the track on a continual basis.

+Quote Post
JAF2
post Jun 1 2012, 05:51 PM
Post #4

Intermediate

Member No.: 36,672

QUOTE (CoopersDad @ Jun 1 2012, 06:04 PM) *
Rockford BMX had 72 moto's at their state qualifier last weekend + Strider. Most tracks here in Illinois and Wisconsin are up 10+ moto's weekly! Local races/points have nothing to do with national races/points rankings and should not have. An extremely low percentage of racers do not race locals in favor of racing nationals, this debate has been going on for decades and is null.

The real reason any local participation suffers is due to lack of commitment from the parents and or guardians to get the racers to the track on a continual basis.

A 72 moto State Qualifier is strong and the riders who registered and raced it must have felt that there is a value in earning a State Plate.

I originally raced in FL for many years and the FL State Series required 8 local races, along with the Qualifiers, and the Championship. It was common to exceed 200 motos at both the Qualifiers and at the Championship. In addition to the required 8 locals, each local was scored, so a rider wanted to get 8 "perfects" and would race locals the entire State Season in an attempt to cap out. Some riders would race at other than their local track in an attempt to either capture another "perfect" or spoil a competitors chance at getting one. Local races were always in the 25-30 moto count range insuring that riders would race in their actual class.

As a rider, a parent of a rider, and a Team owner, I felt the level of competition was stronger and the rider/moto count was greater when the local race had a value other than a dust collecting trophy or saver stamps. Riders progressed at a greater rate because they raced more often and pushed themselves to win.

Would requiring locals to earn a State, Redline Cup, or NAG ranking increase the local moto counts, increase the competition, and progress the sport while attracting new riders?

+Quote Post
Bikemonkeys
post Jun 1 2012, 07:28 PM
Post #5

Vet Pro

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 2,491

I think taking NAG riders out of the district was a bad idea. While a NAG number is their main goal a District Top 10 was a reward that many worked tword. Besides a almost NAG rider blows a leading district rider out of contention with just a missed main at Grands.

+Quote Post
Bmx Prof
post Jun 1 2012, 08:48 PM
Post #6

A Pro

Member No.: 2,358

Nashville is steadily pulling 25-30 motos at local races and double that at the bigger races. We get 50-75 riders just at practice on tuesday and thursday nights. I'd say that our track is the healthiest that it has been in the last 15 years. We have a good number or NAG riders and Pros at practice... They may or may not race locally, but it doesn't seem to have hurt our numbers.

+Quote Post
ILBMX
post Jun 1 2012, 09:46 PM
Post #7

Expert

Group: Track Management
Member No.: 20,073

QUOTE (CoopersDad @ Jun 1 2012, 06:04 PM) *

Right on the head.

+Quote Post
thebondtrader55
post Jun 1 2012, 09:46 PM
Post #8

AA Pro

Member No.: 28,127

I really think that the tie with the Nationals is hurting the local scenes.

It seems to me now that the SX/O thing is light years away from what average riders can or want to do. The competition does seem to be doing OK however for the folks qualified. Love to watch it!

Nationals seem to be doing fine but they are also contested on fairly radical tracks. Big fan of the National circuit!

Even many/ most of the local tracks are fairly advanced today. They are quite a bit more difficult than the last time that BMX moto counts at the local level boomed. I still think that Mike C. had something when he discussed his BMX lite idea awhile back.

I know that many will say that the local tracks today are fine as they are and I will go along with whatever the membership thinks is OK. But it really puts it into perspective when you consider that Gary Ellis, Billy Griggs, and the other legendary Pros from BITD never rode a National track regularly that was as hard as the local tracks are today.

Not sure that the 3 levels do or should have very much in common with each other if numbers is the goal.

All the Best!

+Quote Post
Bikemonkeys
post Jun 1 2012, 09:59 PM
Post #9

Vet Pro

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 2,491

QUOTE (thebondtrader55 @ Jun 1 2012, 10:46 PM) *
I really think that the tie with the Nationals is hurting the local scenes.

It seems to me now that the SX/O thing is light years away from what average riders can or want to do. The competition does seem to be doing OK however for the folks qualified. Love to watch it!

Nationals seem to be doing fine but they are also contested on fairly radical tracks. Big fan of the National circuit!

Even many/ most of the local tracks are fairly advanced today. They are quite a bit more difficult than the last time that BMX moto counts at the local level boomed. I still think that Mike C. had something when he discussed his BMX lite idea awhile back.

I know that many will say that the local tracks today are fine as they are and I will go along with whatever the membership thinks is OK. But it really puts it into perspective when you consider that Gary Ellis, Billy Griggs, and the other legendary Pros from BITD never rode a National track regularly that was as hard as the local tracks are today.

Not sure that the 3 levels do or should have very much in common with each other if numbers is the goal.

All the Best!

I think you have a good point. I like the French idea of having to lines on one track. I kinda started doing that this year, just need to adjust somethings.

+Quote Post
ItryTOfly
post Jun 1 2012, 10:00 PM
Post #10

Intermediate

Member No.: 30,224

You must race LOCALS to earn a NATIONAL title? I see what you want to do but that doesn't even really make sense.

Honestly though, I don't see why so many people are intent on getting the national caliber riders to race locally. We need to increase the local rider base by bringing in new riders who want to be there (opposed to "forcing" riders to be there). If enough new riders are recruited, the state and regional series will become exciting enough that nationals will only be left to the elite riders.

+Quote Post

34 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 05:01 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees