IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Olympics, who is going from around the world?
FaithBMX
post May 27 2012, 04:17 PM
Post #16

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,311

QUOTE (MdubSTYLIE @ May 27 2012, 10:00 PM) *
Maybe he can race it in a bubble. This is bmx man! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

No, this is the Olympics. You want to go into the Olympics with your three best riders healthy and ready.
It's a fine balance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klakke
post May 27 2012, 05:45 PM
Post #17

A Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,425

I would be surprised if GB cannot get Liam ready for the OL - cause Im sure British Cyclings money can help him heal pretty quickly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Van der Putten just retired, so if Jelle does not recover de Wilde could get a spot.

Bootes had promised that any Aussie making the elite podium would get a spot, Dean was pretty damn damn close to stealing either Kirkhams or Khalens spot (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
FaithBMX
post May 27 2012, 07:14 PM
Post #18

VBMX Hall Of Famer

wow, didn't know about van der Putten retiring

+Quote Post
FaithBMX
post May 28 2012, 05:39 PM
Post #19

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Here's some news from a New Zealand newspaper about the possibility that New Zealand will, once again, not send two men even though Marc Willers earned two spots for that country.

The rider in question is Kurt Pickard and here is what they are saying:
"Pickard is clearly the next-best international rider after Willers but there is a question mark over his lack of consistency and whether he can satisfy the NZ Olympic Committee's criteria of a top-16 finish in London."
"BikeNZ will nominate its BMX team on Friday, with a decision on who goes to London on Tuesday."

Man, if Belgium doesn't send Dubois and New Zealand only sends one rider that will open up two more spots; probably Czech Republic and Ecuador.

* the UCI updated and finalized the UCI Nations Rankings. My estimates in the first post are correct, now we just wait to confirm the selections from the Worlds.

+Quote Post
HA Y N
post May 29 2012, 01:40 PM
Post #20

AA Pro

Group: BMX Industry
Member No.: 2,268

Carl,

When do they (UCI) confirm selections from the Worlds?

-Leasure

+Quote Post
FaithBMX
post May 29 2012, 03:18 PM
Post #21

VBMX Hall Of Famer

QUOTE (HA Y N @ May 29 2012, 08:40 PM) *
Carl,

When do they (UCI) confirm selections from the Worlds?

-Leasure

Leasure,
Here are some dates:
1 May – 9 July 2012 The Tripartite Commission will confirm, in writing, the allocation of Invitation
Places to the NOCs.

25 - 27 May 2012 UCI BMX World Championships (Birmingham, GBR)

28 May 2012 Establishment of the UCI Rankings by Nation

1 June 2012 Deadline by which the UCI must confirm to the NOCs the number of
qualifications places obtained.

15 June 2012 Deadline by which the NOCs must confirm to the UCI the use of the places
obtained.

29 June 2012 Reallocation of unused places by the UCI as Tripartite Commission
Invitations and reserve places.

9 July 2012 Deadline for London 2012 Organising Committee to receive entry forms

In regards to the first date; I think they have already settled on this subject. Generally in the Olympics the Tripartite Commission spots are awarded to countries with very few Olympic entries in an effort to include more countries in the spirit of unity. In 2008 those spots just went to countries based on performance at the World Championships. Due to the nature of our sport it would be somewhat ridiculous to award a BMX qualification spot to say, Indonesia; just in the name of including more countries in the Olympics. That rider would not be competitive. I was told that they have already decided to do the same thing this time around; awarding the Tripartite Commission spots to countries based on the Worlds' results.

Bottom line, to answer your question, looks like 9 July to know the formal list; but I assume that individual federations will be making announcements as we go.

+Quote Post
sanjosebmx
post May 29 2012, 03:20 PM
Post #22

Sandbagger
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 1,942

with only 16 women, and 32 men qualifying.. can you imagine how incredibly stacked every moto, quarter and semi will be?

How will they do the motos? 2 racks of 8 Women, qualifying to a main? 4 racks of 8 men, to semis?

+Quote Post
philnz
post May 29 2012, 03:36 PM
Post #23

Novice

Group: Members
Member No.: 30,985

I am sure i read the USA will be sending 4 men. I know that only three men will get to race, but 1 man will be a back up, so if thats correct, 4 men will get the good news they are going (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

Carl - do you read every international newspaper everyday? Is there anything you dont know about current BMX? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

+Quote Post
FaithBMX
post May 29 2012, 03:39 PM
Post #24

VBMX Hall Of Famer

As DoubleAPete posted in another thread, here is the official UCI listing, here.

The official results mirror my predictions with South Africa, Switzerland, Belgium, Philippines, and Brazil earning spots from the Worlds (quarters or better) and Denmark nailing the last spot from the Worlds (Therkildsen lowest moto points and 5th in the 1/8ths). The men's Tripartite spot went to Ecuador (Falla lowest moto points and 5th in the 1/8ths).

The Women's World Championship spots went to Brasil (Stein made the main), Lithuania (Vilma 5th in semi), and Venezuela (Hernandez 6th in semi).
The Tripartite spot went to Latvia (Aleksejeva 8th in the semi).

The only thing left to see is if any nation (like Belgium or New Zealand) turn down any of their spots and which riders are chosen from each country.
If Belgium turns down their spot and New Zealand turns down one of theirs; that would open the door for the Czech Republic and Ireland.
I'd really like to see Kelvin Batey go.

+Quote Post
FaithBMX
post May 29 2012, 03:41 PM
Post #25

VBMX Hall Of Famer

QUOTE (philnz @ May 29 2012, 10:36 PM) *
I am sure i read the USA will be sending 4 men. I know that only three men will get to race, but 1 man will be a back up, so if thats correct, 4 men will get the good news they are going (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

I do believe that a country can take an "alternate" athlete. In 2008 Arielle Martin was the alternate for Jill Kintner.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 11:11 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees