Reply to this topicStart new topic
Legendary Chenga One's Jump Box Rebuilt, World Renowned Box Jump
Hand Grenade
post Apr 25 2012, 03:09 PM
Post #1

AA Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,244

If you've never heard of Chenga 1, you are probably too young. If you have heard of Chenga 1 but have never ridden that skatepark, you missed out on experiencing a skatepark that had more of an impact on so many people, it's lasting effects linger on, everday even after the park closed in 2005. So much so, that all we ever hear, no matter where we ride is "man- if we only had a box like Chenga 1's" and "Why can't they build a box like Chenga 1's?"

Well, we had the opportunity to talk to the original ramp builder of said box jump. We got the basic measurements and made some modifications to a ramp that my buddy has, it had been used very little because it was too huge and scary for most riders. We took the massive 6ft jump box that was there, out of the center and replaced it with THE Legendary Chenga One's Box. I was too tired after busting my butt on this thing for days to get anything good on film, but I could at least film my buddy that tested out the ramp. It's like butter. I rode it and it's so good, it's retarded. He ripped on it within the first 10 minutes. We're having a big ass ramp jam this sunday and yes, there will be video to follow.

I'm now in my 40's and never really stopped riding so this is going to be a fun time for sure. Boxes just aren't built like this anymore and with landings as smooth as this, we didn't learn our tricks in the foam. We did ithe way it was meant to be, at that time. This will be fun for the rippers and fun for the old guys and still fun and safe for our children.
Hooray. Here is a pic from 1998 of the original box. At the bottom of this post there is a Video Link to the test run. We still have some Deck Work to do, but it's rideable now.

(IMG:http://www.fmxpaulgrenade.com/sitepics/BMX/origbox.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.fmxpaulgrenade.com/sitepics/BMX/rampland.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.fmxpaulgrenade.com/sitepics/BMX/rampup.jpg)

TEST RUN VIDEO CLIP on You Tube Click Here
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BS
post Apr 25 2012, 04:02 PM
Post #2

The other CA10

Member No.: 3,545

It's a nice set-up and yes that was a legendary park. I always liked the idea of the wooden rhythm. Trails style in an indoor park.

What are the dimensions? Didn't Wessel build Chenga?

I always liked the San Jose Ramp Club box. I think it was 5 feet tall with an 11' deck. I can't remember the radius of the transition but I had it written down somewhere. Wall ride into it kind of like what you have there. It's kind of replicated in Nyquist's old "Unit" park.

+Quote Post
Hand Grenade
post Apr 26 2012, 05:27 AM
Post #3

AA Pro

Member No.: 2,244

Yep- Wessel built Chenga. For the locals around here that are old enough to remember it, this little box is a big deal. It's only a 4ft tall with an 8ft deck but that's all Chenga's was because of the low ceilings. What made it so much fun was it was safe and not a target landing. You could try anything and simply "slide out" if you blew it.

+Quote Post
BS
post Apr 26 2012, 12:57 PM
Post #4

The other CA10

Member No.: 3,545

What's the radius of the transition? For a little box that dude is getting good pop.

+Quote Post
pwh4130
post Jul 4 2012, 11:22 AM
Post #5

Still riding after all these years.

Group: BMX Industry
Member No.: 4,640

That box was a blast to ride. Just enough to whip some moves without being scary. I'm jealous and want to crash your party!

+Quote Post
woodybmx86
post Jul 5 2012, 09:18 PM
Post #6

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 3,714

at a contest there way back when, my brother Adam sprocket stalled a pipe in the ceiling while backflipping. he made the final. lol

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 12:35 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees