Reply to this topicStart new topic
Merging of the ABA & NBL ,taking from both
tommydone
post Apr 9 2012, 03:12 AM
Post #16

AA Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,686

I am now a cruiser only rider as well, since my daughter started racing , I had to pick one. I just couldnt afford the upkeep and entry fees for 2 bikes for myself and the 2 bikes for my kids. I just felt better on the cruiser. a couple of years ago , the year before the "buffett" plan. if you raced 20" at a national , you could race cruiser for 1/2 price, I thought that was awesome and something that USABMX should look into.

Also family discounts for national entry fees. I have me,3 kids(including my step son) and my girlfriend wants to race as well makid 5 total entry fees for a national. Gets expensive to plan any trips.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PrincessBMX
post Apr 9 2012, 07:37 AM
Post #17

Novice

Member No.: 33,503

QUOTE (tommydone @ Apr 9 2012, 04:12 AM) *
I am now a cruiser only rider as well, since my daughter started racing , I had to pick one. I just couldnt afford the upkeep and entry fees for 2 bikes for myself and the 2 bikes for my kids. I just felt better on the cruiser. a couple of years ago , the year before the "buffett" plan. if you raced 20" at a national , you could race cruiser for 1/2 price, I thought that was awesome and something that USABMX should look into.

Also family discounts for national entry fees. I have me,3 kids(including my step son) and my girlfriend wants to race as well makid 5 total entry fees for a national. Gets expensive to plan any trips.

Discounts for entry fees!!!!!!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/good2.gif)

I would love this.

3 days with 3 races each day gets expensive for 1 kid much less 2 or 3 racers.

VOLUME DISCOUNT!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/good2.gif)

+Quote Post
LDZDAD
post Apr 9 2012, 08:05 AM
Post #18

Intermediate
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 33,096

Personally, I'd like to see them call it what it is and lets all move on. This was a takeover, not a merger.
Not complaining at all. I just wish they would stop trying to pacify everyone by pretending.
In a merger, people are going to want fairness and will complain if things aren't the way they want them.
In a takeover, you are happy to still be alive and grateful that the product is still available.
I, for one, am grateful that all the NBL tracks still have an opportunity to keep their doors open after the sanction fell.
Here's why it feels more like a takeover to me:
The rules and format still favor the ABA.
The membership cards still say ABA. The website and Facebook page are still the original ABA sites.
Race officials and staff are legacy ABA staffers.
Yes, they did update the big rig hauler graphics which now say "USABMX, The American Bicycle Association" (still found a way to keep the name there didn't they)?
I think they should have kept the ABA name and structure and said, "if ya wanna race, you have one option."

+Quote Post
cornfed
post Apr 9 2012, 08:52 AM
Post #19

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 246

QUOTE (LDZDAD @ Apr 9 2012, 10:05 AM) *
Personally, I'd like to see them call it what it is and lets all move on. This was a takeover, not a merger.
Not complaining at all. I just wish they would stop trying to pacify everyone by pretending.
In a merger, people are going to want fairness and will complain if things aren't the way they want them.
In a takeover, you are happy to still be alive and grateful that the product is still available.
I, for one, am grateful that all the NBL tracks still have an opportunity to keep their doors open after the sanction fell.
The membership cards still say ABA. The website and Facebook page are still the original ABA sites.
Yes, they did update the big rig hauler graphics which now say "USABMX, The American Bicycle Association" (still found a way to keep the name there didn't they)?
I think they should have kept the ABA name and structure and said, "if ya wanna race, you have one option."

I guess you weren't involved in BMX back in '02-'03 when this was originally supposed to happen.

Where's the $200 bottles of water?

+Quote Post
murrdog
post Apr 9 2012, 09:07 AM
Post #20

A Pro

Member No.: 24,690

For me this is not a bashing thread. This is just a thread with ideas others think may help improve the sport.

I too stopped racing two bikes, can't afford for both. I still have both bikes but not enough time or money to race them both. The cost is the biggest factor.

I agree with the entry level cruiser class for the 30 and over dads. I think our track would have a larger class of these new dads if they had their own class to race. I think they choose not to race because of the large gap in skill levels between the expert dad and themselves.

I think the entry level girls class was a good thing the NBL had put in place.

I liked the NBL bucks too.

As for the classes mentioned above. I don't look at it as a class for trophy chassers but a class that may help the sport grow on a local level. If chassing a trophy is such a bad thing then don't offer those classes at the nationals, change trophy sizes or just let the system take care of its self by a racer earning move up points.

I think the ABA had to have a name change in order to keep the non for profit status of the old NBL. I may be wrong on that.

I wish we could just run our three digit number and not have to change plates every year.

+Quote Post
Elvis
post Apr 9 2012, 10:45 AM
Post #21

Worst moderator ever

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 395

QUOTE (LDZDAD @ Apr 9 2012, 09:05 AM) *

This is a pretty good post.

I'll add the "they" in your second line is more teh Internets Geniu3 society than anyone on the sanction side.

More to the point, all this "the sanction needs to ....." stuff is so much navel gazing as we (all of us, regardless of sanction) go through this meld process. I expect the 2013 rulebook will be the real interesting one.

I realize as BMXers it's our duty to only think of life one season at a time, but I'm guessing we're pretty much done with changes for this year, and for next are changes we've yet to imagine.

+Quote Post
sjaquay
post Apr 9 2012, 11:18 AM
Post #22

Expert

Member No.: 14,703

i hope they never say that the doubles have to be filled in and try to save face like what happened to the NBL years ago, that was a joke. they should have found a different insurance company. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
GARG
post Apr 9 2012, 11:34 AM
Post #23

Expert

Member No.: 24,888

I liked the NBL Regional series. Not impressed with the Redline Cup format. The NBL Regional series had a team competition. Not all racers are going to compete in the National Series, a real regional one might get more to participate a little more.

+Quote Post
d0ubledown
post Apr 9 2012, 12:15 PM
Post #24

A Pro

Member No.: 31,032

never was a part of nbl but our cca sanction has very similar rules. I'd also like to see a family cap/discount, as 2 kids running all three races gets spendy real quick. it would encourage more participants in a household. could be 3 kids this time next year...maybe cruiser for the boy. plus I'd like to give it a go in the 36-40 novice class (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
1993tnt
post Apr 9 2012, 12:55 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 34,665

novice= 3 wins to turn inter
inter= 5 wins to turn expert

novice win both days at national= turn inter
inter= win both days at national= turn expert

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 12:49 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees