Mr. Smith
post Apr 6 2012, 12:07 PM
Post #1

AA Pro
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 6,379

Thanks for reading.

A while back I picked up a set of NOS black 1st gen Z wheels.
Being 1st gens these have no amrking other than "pat pending".
Is there a way I can tell if mine are graphite or not ?
They do not have the graphite decal which they would have originally.

If anyone has any knowleedge on these please be so kind as to post.

Thank you....

Rob

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bill Curtin
post Apr 6 2012, 05:20 PM
Post #2

A Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,476

Graphite Z-Rims was more of a grayish black as a result of the carbon strands mixed into the Zytel.

Regular Z-Rims are black. Side by side, you can see the difference.

+Quote Post
Mr. Smith
post Apr 6 2012, 09:46 PM
Post #3

AA Pro
Group Icon

Thank you Bill.

I appreciate the reply especially from you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Sincerely

Rob

+Quote Post
getset
post Apr 7 2012, 05:01 PM
Post #4

Intermediate

Member No.: 22,940

Bill is correct. I bought a set when they first came out circa 1981 and have since bought a couple more pair, one set stamped and the other non-stamped. There is a kind of greyish pigment swirl on both that should be noticable. They also don't seem to have the same flex as non-graphite z-rims.

+Quote Post
Bill Curtin
post Apr 7 2012, 07:30 PM
Post #5

A Pro

Member No.: 16,476

QUOTE (getset @ Apr 7 2012, 04:01 PM) *
Bill is correct. I bought a set when they first came out circa 1981 and have since bought a couple more pair, one set stamped and the other non-stamped. There is a kind of greyish pigment swirl on both that should be noticable. They also don't seem to have the same flex as non-graphite z-rims.

The stiffer ride is due to the carbon fibers. They were mixed in and the cross ply will "tighten" the zytel to make it flex less.

Peregrine tried to market Peregrine Master Graphite wheels in colors using the term "Graphite" for marketing. and Skyway went after them on the fact that you cannot make a colored granite composite. Add color and you'd end up with mud, hence why Graphites are "black".

+Quote Post
2blader
post Apr 22 2012, 05:54 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 14,625

It would be extremely hard to tell by color alone today as both would fade over time. I bought a complete Patterson with a set of Graphite "Z's" with the stenciled side walls and I had a near mint set of stenciled black z rims here at home also. When I got both sets side by side I compared them in weight and color. They weighed near equal in grams-less than 10 grams difference. They were nearly identical in color (I matched colors for 15 years). Maybe the color difference would be more pronounced if both sets were new or both aged exactly the same. However, with out being sure of that you couldn't use color as a tell-especially when people "treat" z rims today for depth of color. If you had a 1st gen set of Z-rims and you lost the sticker-you're screwed.

+Quote Post
Mr. Smith
post Apr 22 2012, 09:54 PM
Post #7

AA Pro
Group Icon

Well Scott I know you are an extremely experienced collector.

Bottom line is someone tried to haggle me $25 shipping fee on a price of $250 plus exact shipping for a dated matched set ... paint penciled 7/30 A on one hoop 7/30 B on the other and both hubs dated '83 w/ DT spokes. More dust on them then my '63 Nova which I owned for 15 years.

So I told the jackbag they were sold rather than argue. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I found this method simpler to avoid "drama". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

So whether they are graphite are not ... ?

They are worth more than $250 shipped to me.
And are still in my collection. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanks ...

Rob

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2014 - 03:16 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees