Reply to this topicStart new topic
Help ! About to pull my SE Quadangle out of hibernation
sdjordan911
post Apr 9 2012, 09:17 AM
Post #16

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 36,898

Here are some 'before' pics ...

Note: This is *not* my original set up, but all of the parts are from my basement circa 1980-1986. My oldest brother rode a 80'/81' Kuwahara KZ-1 with Araya 7x Rims, Bullseye hubs, Sugino 'Maxy' cranks, Shimano DX pedals, etc . My little bro' rode a Skyway TA ... pic of frame/forks attached (still have it). My quad was originally set up with a white Uni seat, white ACS Z Rims, white/black Oakley F-1 grips, a black Pro Neck, chrime CW Bars (always wanted white), Bear Trap pedals, and black DiaCompe MX 1000 brakes.

Very unfortunately [I am sick about this], my mom let my cousin take "all the bicycle parts you want" out of our basement while I was in college and he took basically everything off my bike. I have set the bike up [for now] with whatever was left in the basement, including several parts off my neighbor's Redline RL20a (thus the Redline neck/seat, Ukai Rims and Ame Tri Grips).

I am already bidding on a pair of CW bars and a black chainwheel on ebay ...

I am pretty sure this is the current configuration (please feel free to correct me ... I have been out of this for a *long* time). The blue parts are off my little bro's Skyway.

- 1985 SE Quadangle/stamped Landing Gear forks
- Suntour XC-II pedals
- SR Tubular cranks (1 piece)
- Pro Neck 43 tooth Chainwheel
- Ukai Rims
- Redline neck
- Redline seat
- GT Bars
- Ame Tri Grips
- Dia Compe MX 900/1000 (?) brakes
- Seat post/clamp ???
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sdjordan911
post Apr 9 2012, 09:28 AM
Post #17

QUOTE (sdjordan911 @ Apr 9 2012, 11:17 AM) *

Having issues loading pics .. getting 'You did not select a file to upload' error ... guessing the pics are too large ... working on it

+Quote Post
agentheinz
post Apr 9 2012, 09:50 AM
Post #18

secret agent, man
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 6,641

Using Photobucket?

+Quote Post
sdjordan911
post Apr 9 2012, 10:03 AM
Post #19

QUOTE (agentheinz @ Apr 9 2012, 11:50 AM) *
Using Photobucket?

Nah ... for some reason the photo editor thinks I already posted the pics. It reads 'Attachments space used 477.75K of 500K' and 'Max single upload size 22.25K'. So now when I go to post I get 'The file was larger than the available space'.

+Quote Post
sdjordan911
post Apr 9 2012, 12:06 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (Pauly @ Apr 4 2012, 09:20 AM) *
Scott,
If I were you I would completely disassemble the bike. Clean off all the dirt... that includes removing all the old grease from the bearings. Polish it up as nicely as you can then regrease/reassemble.
You will no doubt be impressed with how it turns out. Do that for me please before you decide to have it refinished. If you plan to ride it, then replace the wearable parts like cables, grips, tires, brake pads with whatever is available. No need to get expensive NOS parts if you're going to beat on them.
With that all said... Do you have any plans for April 29th?
We're having a ride on DC. You should think about coming.
Check it out...

http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/index....p;#entry1166024

Pauly,

Sorry to bother ... bike is apart ... 2 questions ... not sure if my Comp III tires or DID chain are salvageable. What should I replace them with in today's market (or do you know how to 'clean' a chain ... maybe just soak it in WD-40 for like a week). Thanks for any help you can offer. I saw some 'newschool' Tioga Comp 3's online, but the white Tioga lettering just seems wrong ...

+Quote Post
ANT DOG 3:16
post Apr 9 2012, 12:50 PM
Post #21

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,739

not sure if my Comp III tires or DID chain are salvageable

I think have a decent did chain set up for 44/16. lmk if you need it I will look for it

+Quote Post
sdjordan911
post Apr 9 2012, 02:07 PM
Post #22

QUOTE (ANT DOG 3:16 @ Apr 9 2012, 02:50 PM) *
not sure if my Comp III tires or DID chain are salvageable

I think have a decent did chain set up for 44/16. lmk if you need it I will look for it

Wow. Super nice offer ... lemme see if I can salvage this one and if not I will surely be in need ... there is actually one on ebay right now for $40, but I can't tell if it is in any better condition than mine will be after I clean it up ...

Any suggestions on tires by chance? Thanks very much

+Quote Post
ANT DOG 3:16
post Apr 9 2012, 02:10 PM
Post #23

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,739

dude you can have it if I find it. F evil bay

+Quote Post
agentheinz
post Apr 9 2012, 02:30 PM
Post #24

secret agent, man
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 6,641

The Comp skinwalls were reissued a couple years back and why they made it a limited thing makes no sense. Porkchop has Taiwanese skinwall tires of that style if you're going to have a rider. Using tires from the 80s, no matter how well preserved, is IMO for show purposes only; I wouldn't trust them riding anything but maybe a paved bike trail.

+Quote Post
sdjordan911
post Apr 10 2012, 08:14 AM
Post #25

QUOTE (agentheinz @ Apr 9 2012, 04:30 PM) *
The Comp skinwalls were reissued a couple years back and why they made it a limited thing makes no sense. Porkchop has Taiwanese skinwall tires of that style if you're going to have a rider. Using tires from the 80s, no matter how well preserved, is IMO for show purposes only; I wouldn't trust them riding anything but maybe a paved bike trail.

I am definitely going to have a 'rider' ... no plans to go racing or anything [just yet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/good2.gif) ] . Ideally looking for a basic 100% black tire if possible ... I will probably just roll with the new style Tioga Comp 3's ... I will check out Porkchop ... thx vm

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 06:42 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees