Reply to this topicStart new topic
bike rack suggestons?
tenagator
post Apr 3 2012, 09:03 PM
Post #1

Intermediate

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,118

I have a Honda Accord and im looking to either get a roof mount, or a Hitch mount rack. So if i go the hitch mount (still need a hitch to) what are some brands to look into for a rack to attach to the hitch? Trying to go with one thats securely locks the bikes in and will not scratch the frames. So a good mounting area for the frame is ideal. Also thinking of getting a 4 mount because i can space my 20 and cruiser apart better.
Any suggestions on what you have tried, owned?

This post has been edited by tenagator: Apr 3 2012, 09:09 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brandon002
post Apr 4 2012, 08:39 AM
Post #2

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 22,718

We have a Thule hitch rack on our XTerra and it's a great rack. We can fit 5 bikes on the thing without a problem. It's also super sturdy. On a car I personally would go with a roof mounted rack though.

+Quote Post
Pauly
post Apr 4 2012, 08:54 AM
Post #3

My sig pic is HUGE!
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 2,296

Which model rack to you have Brandon? I've been looking for the same thing. I think I want a hitch rack so I can use it both with the minivan and the car. 5 bike capacity would be ideal. I also need it to fit a class 2 as well as a class 3 hitch.

+Quote Post
tenagator
post Apr 4 2012, 08:37 PM
Post #4

Intermediate

Really dont want to go the roof rack mount cuz i didnt want to risk messing up the car. As i was checking into it i think ill just got with a 2 bike rack. Im still undecided as of yet....

+Quote Post
Brandon002
post Apr 6 2012, 12:15 AM
Post #5

VBMX Hall Of Famer

QUOTE (Pauly @ Apr 4 2012, 09:54 AM) *
Which model rack to you have Brandon? I've been looking for the same thing. I think I want a hitch rack so I can use it both with the minivan and the car. 5 bike capacity would be ideal. I also need it to fit a class 2 as well as a class 3 hitch.

I'm not sure on the model. It's sitting in my Mom's garage. I'll be there Sunday for Easter and can get the model number for you if you need it. Let me know.

QUOTE (tenagator @ Apr 4 2012, 09:37 PM) *
Really dont want to go the roof rack mount cuz i didnt want to risk messing up the car. As i was checking into it i think ill just got with a 2 bike rack. Im still undecided as of yet....

Roof racks do not mess up your car if installed properly. I had one on my VW for years and it didn't so much as leave a mark on the paint. A 2 bike rack on the trunk does more damage the a properly installed roof rack.

+Quote Post
tenagator
post Apr 6 2012, 12:29 PM
Post #6

Intermediate

No trunk mount for sure. I found a local ad for Thule 2 bike hitchmount at a good price, may see if they still have it and get it.

+Quote Post
Rodogg
post Apr 6 2012, 01:12 PM
Post #7

AA Pro

Member No.: 29,327

Well since you have a car, IMO your already screwed.

Sorry, I just dislike cars in general.

Here is my take, your stuck with a car. This whole thread started because of said car and lack of space for bikes etc.

hitch rack, sure, pretty useful for bikes and a trailer

trunk rack, limited to bikes

roof rack ...... can hold bikes, skis, snowboards, kayaks, canoes, luggage racks, dead animals if you hunt, etc, etc.

I guess if it was me, I would get the one that will be the most versatile and IMO that would be a roof rack.

just my 2 cents

+Quote Post
Brandon002
post Apr 6 2012, 04:33 PM
Post #8

VBMX Hall Of Famer

QUOTE (tenagator @ Apr 6 2012, 01:29 PM) *
No trunk mount for sure. I found a local ad for Thule 2 bike hitchmount at a good price, may see if they still have it and get it.

I'd still look into a quality roof rack.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 01:00 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees