Reply to this topicStart new topic
JMC Mini build brake caliper suggestions
Alan McCorkle
post Mar 29 2012, 11:04 AM
Post #1

A Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 944

Hey guys! I've been in a bit of semi-retirement the last few years and I am finally getting around to finishing one of the projects I had left on the shelf. It is a 1980 JMC Mini and the build will have 20 x 1 3/8 wheels. I am in need of a short reach Dia-Compe side pull caliper but not sure which model is long enough but not too long. I am fairly certain that all of the 800 & 900 series calipers are too long so I'm thinking I need a road bike caliper but not sure what early 80s era model would be ideal.

Cheers!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cheez
post Mar 29 2012, 11:25 AM
Post #2

Master of disasters

Member No.: 3,135

Anything off a a Schwinn Varsity would work. If you want a cooler set up I'd go with a center pull from a Schwinn Continental, Le Tour or any number of Raleighs.

You planning on using a seat post or just attaching the seat to the seat tube?

This post has been edited by cheez: Mar 29 2012, 11:27 AM

+Quote Post
Alan McCorkle
post Mar 29 2012, 11:47 AM
Post #3

A Pro

Thanks Cheez. I am using a UNI Hammerhead so it will have 'some' seat post. I actually have a NOS DC center pull brake set but I guess I would have to mount it reversed and then get a longer straddle cable. There just isn't enough room between the brake bridge and seat tube for a center pull setup. I would need to mount a cable stop to the top tube. Is this what you were thinking?

QUOTE (cheez @ Mar 29 2012, 06:25 PM) *
Anything off a a Schwinn Varsity would work. If you want a cooler set up I'd go with a center pull from a Schwinn Continental, Le Tour or any number of Raleighs.

You planning on using a seat post or just attaching the seat to the seat tube?

+Quote Post
Jason F.
post Mar 29 2012, 12:30 PM
Post #4

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 23,812

I think I have a mini dia compe that might be era correct, I will check here in a bit, be really cheap.

+Quote Post
cheez
post Mar 29 2012, 12:45 PM
Post #5

Master of disasters

Member No.: 3,135

QUOTE (Alan McCorkle @ Mar 29 2012, 12:47 PM) *
Thanks Cheez. I am using a UNI Hammerhead so it will have 'some' seat post. I actually have a NOS DC center pull brake set but I guess I would have to mount it reversed and then get a longer straddle cable. There just isn't enough room between the brake bridge and seat tube for a center pull setup. I would need to mount a cable stop to the top tube. Is this what you were thinking?

That or attaching the the v style cable stop mount to the seat guts and running the cable up under the seat, but you not running a standard seat so that won't work

BITD people would just drill a hole through the seat tube but no one saw the collectable value of these bikes back then.

+Quote Post
Alan McCorkle
post Mar 29 2012, 02:57 PM
Post #6

A Pro

QUOTE (Jason F. @ Mar 29 2012, 07:30 PM) *
I think I have a mini dia compe that might be era correct, I will check here in a bit, be really cheap.

Please do and thanks! I am definitely interested.

+Quote Post
Alan McCorkle
post Mar 29 2012, 02:59 PM
Post #7

A Pro

QUOTE (cheez @ Mar 29 2012, 07:45 PM) *
That or attaching the the v style cable stop mount to the seat guts and running the cable up under the seat, but you not running a standard seat so that won't work

BITD people would just drill a hole through the seat tube but no one saw the collectable value of these bikes back then.

Always more than one way to skin a cat huh? I mocked up the DC center pull caliper I have with the rear wheel and it is way to long so i'll have to keep looking for a solution. Waiting to see what Jason F. comes back with.

Thanks for the input!

+Quote Post
HurricaneHenry
post Mar 29 2012, 03:56 PM
Post #8

AA Pro
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 7,168

Alan,

Good to see you in the 'hood again! I had the same issue with my 3.1 using 1 3/8ths. I went with this Campy caliper, thought it looked cool. May or may not be era correct, but I'm sure someone on here would know.

Hope you and the family are happy and healthy!

(IMG:http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa264/hurricanehenry/NewImage.jpg)

+Quote Post
Alan McCorkle
post Mar 29 2012, 04:37 PM
Post #9

A Pro

QUOTE (HurricaneHenry @ Mar 29 2012, 09:56 PM) *
Alan,

Good to see you in the 'hood again! I had the same issue with my 3.1 using 1 3/8ths. I went with this Campy caliper, thought it looked cool. May or may not be era correct, but I'm sure someone on here would know.

Hope you and the family are happy and healthy!

(IMG:http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa264/hurricanehenry/NewImage.jpg)

Brian! All is well o'er here in NorCal and the family is doing good. I should have called you on this one and I like your suggestion. I used a gold ano Modolo caliper on the JMC Bear mini but that has sew-ups and the fit is perfect. I'll have to investigate the Italian options.

Hope all is well in ATX. I really gotta get out there for a visit!

+Quote Post
HurricaneHenry
post Mar 29 2012, 05:22 PM
Post #10

AA Pro
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 7,168

For sure, Mi casa Su casa!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2014 - 05:18 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees