Reply to this topicStart new topic
overcharging for races
circleinasun
post Mar 18 2012, 08:50 AM
Post #1

Expert

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,461

so what is the "official" rule for race fees. typically its 10 for a single, 20 for a double, and 30 for a triple...nats. not included in this question.
and do tracks reserve the right to inflate prices?

save the higher prices for the gas to get there...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brandon002
post Mar 18 2012, 08:53 AM
Post #2

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 22,718

Our local single point races range anywhere from 12-15 for class/cruiser and usually open costs around 5 bucks. I think it is up to the track to decide what to charge.

+Quote Post
RCain
post Mar 18 2012, 09:00 AM
Post #3

Bemused
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 2,171

There is no "Official" rule. Tracks can charge whatever they think their market will bear.

+Quote Post
circleinasun
post Mar 18 2012, 09:02 AM
Post #4

Expert

Member No.: 23,461

good old days are long gone, i guess...

+Quote Post
edwards
post Mar 18 2012, 09:33 AM
Post #5

A Pro

Member No.: 22,240

Circleinasun- Did your local rates go up? At our track, Grippen Park BMX in Endicott, NY, we charge $7 Ribbon and $10 Trophy or stamps in the regular season and $12 Trophy or stamps only during winter. We have an annual rent of $4,000 plus heat in the winter for the concessions and restroom area. Back in the 80's it was $3 for ribbon. Volunteers get a free non awards race.

This post has been edited by edwards: Mar 18 2012, 09:34 AM

+Quote Post
lumpy
post Mar 18 2012, 09:54 AM
Post #6

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 1,375

I look back at how long it has been $10 for a local around here... That is the only price that hasn't gone up over the past couple of decades.. Yet, I bet almost every expense the local track has to pay every month continues to go up... It is bound to happen at some point..

Brian

+Quote Post
MXNate
post Mar 18 2012, 10:29 AM
Post #7

Expert

Member No.: 18,369

I hope this isnt going to turn into a race fees are too expensive thread, Bmx is by far the cheapest form of two wheel racing ANYWHERE, if fees went up at the same rate as everything else we'd be paying $50 to race and $75 for a trophy! We should all feel like lucky that inflation hasnt hit Bmx like it has the rest of the world, and if a track has to charge a little more to keep the gates open you should just thank em for keeping the gates open.

+Quote Post
Stileman
post Mar 18 2012, 10:34 AM
Post #8

AA Pro

Member No.: 18,091

QUOTE (MXNate @ Mar 18 2012, 11:29 AM) *
I hope this isnt going to turn into a race fees are too expensive thread, Bmx is by far the cheapest form of two wheel racing ANYWHERE, if fees went up at the same rate as everything else we'd be paying $50 to race and $75 for a trophy! We should all feel like lucky that inflation hasnt hit Bmx like it has the rest of the world, and if a track has to charge a little more to keep the gates open you should just thank em for keeping the gates open.

Agree. BMX can be the cheapest form of Racing. Locally it is very inexpensive family entertainment.

This post has been edited by Stileman: Mar 18 2012, 10:34 AM

+Quote Post
mxmug
post Mar 18 2012, 11:02 AM
Post #9

Inventor of the Z Jump

Member No.: 17,989

10 is not bad. I think fresno charges 12. Thats a good deal to ride one of the nicest tracks in the country.

good old days are long gone, i guess...

When I started racing sanctioned races in 83, entry fees for a local race cost 5 dollars. That same year a new camry cost about $8,000.

Fast forward to 2012. A local race (the same T.o.'s by the way) cost 10 dollars. A 2012 camry now cost around 23000 if your willing to risk your life driving it. 10 dollars is really not a bad deal.

From another perspective; From 80-83, groups of kids got together and built 3 tracks in my area. One track even had a hinged starting gate. We raced all we wanted for free. Today kids ride trails almost every day for free. We have 3 or more local spots. The kids love being there. Some riding, others are just watching. When your at "the spot", it's still the good old days. The only thing different is the jumps are more challenging.

+Quote Post
Elvis
post Mar 18 2012, 11:27 AM
Post #10

Worst moderator ever

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 395

QUOTE (MXNate @ Mar 18 2012, 11:29 AM) *

There you go. Races fees have lagged well behind inflation, this despite the cost of running races having gone up right in line with the economic curve (save for sanction fees, granted).

My son rides bulls. Even at some non-affiliated rodeo event the entry fee's $45. You go to a semi-pro event it get's over $75 real quick. And that's for one bull ride.

Those guys racing powered wheels run the same kinda' numbers.

No, we got a good deal. Even at $10 above OP's numbers it's a good deal.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 10:32 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees