Reply to this topicStart new topic
Bike box dimensions
FaithBMX
post Mar 8 2012, 07:53 AM
Post #1

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,311

I am starting to plan a trip and I want to utilize the military's Space A program.
They have very strict baggage restrictions, so I'm trying to figure out what the dimensions (hxwxl) are on a complete bike box (20" and 24" wheels).

I can always go to the LBS, but was hoping somebody would know from experience.

Worst case scenario I can break it down over two boxes as long as both come in under the linear inch/weight requirements.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Riddler Al-F
post Mar 8 2012, 08:29 AM
Post #2

Super Villain: Advocates Sling Shotters and Rides Clipped In

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,300

Let me get this straight, Air Force air crew and a bag the size of golf clubs won't get on board? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I don't know the answer Carl, but if you do end up going to a LBS the boxes are probably free., at least they are here at my LBS. They only charge you if you have them box it for you.

+Quote Post
vjorrand
post Mar 8 2012, 08:59 AM
Post #3

Expert

Group: Track Management
Member No.: 27,481

QUOTE (FaithBMX @ Mar 8 2012, 08:53 AM) *
I am starting to plan a trip and I want to utilize the military's Space A program.
They have very strict baggage restrictions, so I'm trying to figure out what the dimensions (hxwxl) are on a complete bike box (20" and 24" wheels).

Worst case scenario I can break it down over two boxes as long as both come in under the linear inch/weight requirements.

I don't know how much help this is for you, but I was able to use a baseball bag to pack my son's 20", the inside length was a little over 36" so will accommodate most frames. I did have to remove the fork. I then put the wheels in a separate suitcase and kept both bags under the 62 linear inches limit for checked in bags and avoided bag fees.

Vincent.

+Quote Post
Jesse4130
post Mar 8 2012, 11:28 AM
Post #4

Expert

Group: BMX Industry
Member No.: 15,832

QUOTE (FaithBMX @ Mar 8 2012, 08:53 AM) *

Carl, I know our 20" box is "approximately" 46" x 9" x 23", ill check on the 24" for you. Guessing is may be about 50" x 9" x 26".

Jesse

+Quote Post
FaithBMX
post Mar 8 2012, 05:50 PM
Post #5

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,311

Yeah, so even a 20" box is over the 62 linear inch limit.
I'll have to break it down into two boxes.

+Quote Post
miteyquinn
post Mar 8 2012, 09:15 PM
Post #6

Expert

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,494

[attachment=14300:IMG_0117_small.jpg]

Put the wheels in a suitcase and everything else in a cruiser frame box, hand carry your helmet. I actually put 2 sets of wheels in the same suitcase and both 20" and 24" in the frame box. Good Luck

Dave, AD USAF

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 09:33 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees