+Quote Post
cheez
post Mar 9 2012, 01:40 PM
Post #18

Master of disasters

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,135

QUOTE (cheez @ Mar 8 2012, 09:13 AM) *
Blast it, paint it red, (white was the most comon color for them IMO) and get the correct decals for it

I'd love to have one of those, ( I enveyed Tom Catchings BITD) I just have the forks in 4" head tube

QUOTE (PHXOS @ Mar 9 2012, 11:34 AM) *
Chrome it

Were your ears burning? Yours was White (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rrp
post Mar 9 2012, 04:50 PM
Post #19

Intermediate

Member No.: 32,555

QUOTE (cheez @ Mar 9 2012, 08:59 AM) *
I have seen maybe 3 red ones, one in person, I still say red with the first gen PL decals.

If you are gonna leave a non-stock color you might as well go with gold leaf graphics too. Go big or go back to an OG color combo IMO

Still in shock cause you got a smokin deal or because you've never had that big a charge on your credit card before? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Ya know..,i was thinking red myself,after re-thinking the color combination.I already have a white 2011,so to have both colors,makes me like the idea for red. I was actually thinking about candy apple red,not to many coats of tinted clear,just enough to try and match the original red. And yes,white 1st gen decals are mandatory. Funny about the big charge on the card (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I was getting ready to buy a 1994 Robinson Pro from England. The shipping was $179 and the frame and fork was $145. Just the fact of being a 81 Proline ,i seen them go for alot more than two bills,im just under..Thanks for the validating the color choice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drinks.gif)

+Quote Post
jipster43
post Mar 9 2012, 10:04 PM
Post #20

AA Pro

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 43

My vote is for red, but I'd use aircraft stripper to remove the paint/powder. Less chance of the welds getting compromised by an unfamiliar blaster and it's quick and easy.

JP (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Glen
post Mar 10 2012, 12:14 AM
Post #21

AA Pro

Member No.: 3,971

Good looking frame as it is.
Mr Coaster brake will know if black was an og color scheme.
If the current paint looks goo I say leave it alone.

A rare appearance from Dr Frankeripper.

long time ... no hear....

+Quote Post
rrp
post Mar 10 2012, 09:47 PM
Post #22

Intermediate

QUOTE (jipster43 @ Mar 9 2012, 11:04 PM) *
My vote is for red, but I'd use aircraft stripper to remove the paint/powder. Less chance of the welds getting compromised by an unfamiliar blaster and it's quick and easy.

JP (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

You must have been reading my mind. I was wondering the same thing. I do plan on racing this thing. I surely do not want to have this frame and fork blasted twice. I'll ask the seller the process he took in preparation before he had the thing powdercoated black. If it was blasted before,i thank you for the advise. I'll go the paint stripper route. To be honest,im already worried the tabs on the forks are gonna snap off and lose the front wheel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) ,lol,that would suck!

Thanks again,really appriciate it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drinks.gif)
RRP

+Quote Post
cheez
post Mar 12 2012, 07:28 AM
Post #23

Master of disasters

Member No.: 3,135

If you have it powder coated try to find a guy who uses walnut shells, plastic media, baking soda or glass bead. Oxide based abrasives can screw metal up real quick and powder can hide screw ups pretty well. Being 81 I'm wondering if they weren't still painted then. I still use paint for parts I know didn't come powder coated to remain accurate. DAMN less than 2 bills for that you friggin stole it! If you go with powder there are plenty of candy reds out there getting a match to the RL candy shouldn't be hard at all

This post has been edited by cheez: Mar 12 2012, 07:29 AM

+Quote Post
Mr. Smith
post Mar 13 2012, 06:18 PM
Post #24

AA Pro
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 6,379

Come on guys ...

I thought you were experienced vbmx guys ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

If anything "glass bead" the frame. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Walnut shells and the like are for plastics.
I even use old glass bead on Skyways and it works perfect.

Just rough enough to grab a better surface than paint stripper ....

Unless you are going to "properly" hand wet sand the bare metal and then wash down with lacquer thinner. Man I've been doing auto stuff since 1990.

BACK to the topic. If you do strip it and redo the finish you need to know the og color or forget it !

Just my $.02 and I'm only another jackbag behind a key board but I've been around cars and bikes since 1976 and I was born in 1971. I was rebuilding 1/4 midget engines in 1985 as a freshmen in high school.

Rob

+Quote Post
rrp
post Mar 15 2012, 07:45 PM
Post #25

Intermediate

QUOTE (Mr. Smith @ Mar 13 2012, 07:18 PM) *
If you do strip it and redo the finish you need to know the og color or forget it !

I understand this,and would luv to match it up. Red Barron was saying something about the forks,not sure about the frame.They don't have enough of a flat spot to scan for a code. As i was looking for a color code,i came across a two year old thread,asking the same,on this forum.. The op never mentioned the code.,bummer. I wish someone knew it,Cheers.

RRP.

Rob

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th September 2014 - 12:13 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees