Reply to this topicStart new topic
A BMX track at an old Drive-In is almost too good to be true..., New Mexico BMX
ELFBMX
post Feb 27 2012, 06:25 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,289

QUOTE (SimplyGroovy aka: Steve Gray @ Jun 8 2009, 11:56 AM) *
I raced just about every race held at Rt. 66 including the national. That track had almost everything. Built inside an old drive in movie theater, so it already had a pre-built concession stand and lots of parking. A big starting hill, a cross-over leading up to a giant triple step, and the pro-section had a water jump. If that isn't enough for you, it even has it's own urban legend, that is actually true. Check out the following link for some pics and a great story: http://www.squidoo.com/The-Legend-Of-Bmx

"A BMX track inside an old drive in is almost too good to be true, not sure if I believe that or the urban legend, gotta sleep on it".

I finally found a picture of the track and the Drive-In screen together. It is the 66 Raceway in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Home of the 1985 USBA 66 Nationals. This is the track before they removed the tires and fixed up the track for the nationals (Fall '84).
(IMG:http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww110/redludwigia/BMX/66bmx2.jpg)

I also found a picture of the track in Carlsbad, New Mexico. Golden Spoke BMX, I believe.
I thought it was cool because it shows a mid-air crash in progress. These are triples, he is flying over the 2nd. This is around '85 too.
(IMG:http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww110/redludwigia/BMX/carlsb.jpg)

There was:
Alameda BMX Raceway - Albuquerque, NM
PAL BMX - Albuquerque, NM
BlueSky BMX - Albuquerque, NM
66 Raceway - Albuquerque, NM
Manzano Badlands - Los Lunas, NM
Ancient City BMX - Santa-Fe, NM
Close Encounters BMX - Grants, NM
Black Hat BMX - Gallup, NM
Boogie Downs BMX - Farmington, NM
Riverside? - Aztec, NM
Enchanted BMX - Clovis, NM
Roswell BMX - Roswell, NM
Golden Spoke BMX - Carlsbad, NM
PAL Roadrunnner - Las Cruces, NM
Cheatin' Redneck? - Hobbs, NM

Pancho's Bandit ? - Milan, NM
Los Alamos ? - Los Alamos, NM
Jal BMX ? - Jal, NM

I never saw these last three.

Post your thoughts or pics if you remember.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Racer
post Feb 29 2012, 10:49 PM
Post #2

A Pro

Member No.: 6,493

I guess I can consider myself lucky. I got to the USBA Nationals a day or two early (I forget). But I saw the track with all the tires. As I was there they were frantically tearing them all out to get ready for the race. I remember thinking this sucks. The track looked so cool with the tires. I had a small class in Cruiser and the next weekend raced in Utah for there USBA National.

The Drive In track was pretty basic and not a skill track. I dont remember any of the sections being challenging or fun.
Utahs track on the other hand was basic also but downhill so that was cool.

This post has been edited by Racer: Feb 29 2012, 10:50 PM

+Quote Post
SimplyGroovy aka...
post Mar 7 2012, 04:23 AM
Post #3

Expert

Member No.: 9,499

I finally found a picture of the track and the Drive-In screen together. It is the 66 Raceway in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Home of the 1985 USBA 66 Nationals. This is the track before they removed the tires and fixed up the track for the nationals (Fall '84).

The jump in the middle of the pic was the water jump in the pro section.

I also found a picture of the track in Carlsbad, New Mexico. Golden Spoke BMX, I believe.
I thought it was cool because it shows a mid-air crash in progress. These are triples, he is flying over the 2nd. This is around '85 too.

Looks like it might be Omar Villareal out front on Aston and Kevin Pearson in the air in the GT jersey. And I think the kid with the glasses on the left side is Omar's little brother Miguel.

The Drive In track was pretty basic and not a skill track. I dont remember any of the sections being challenging or fun.

Maybe not very technical, but not many tracks of the day were. It did have a huge starting hill and the giant triple step after crossing back over the cross-over was awesome. Just wind it up to full speed and hit it and fly!

+Quote Post
ELFBMX
post Sep 25 2012, 07:44 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 20,289

CODE
Looks like it might be Omar Villareal out front on Aston and Kevin Pearson in the air in the GT jersey. And I think the kid with the glasses on the left side is Omar's little brother Miguel.

Psst... Gray Hound - The guy out front is not Omar V. I think he ran Astron colors then. Plus, he is not BIG enough. It is Pearson in the air. Kid with glasses = Miguel V. The Superman pose is Scott Zeine (R.I.P.).

This post has been edited by ELFBMX: Sep 25 2012, 07:56 PM

+Quote Post
koenning
post Jan 8 2013, 04:32 PM
Post #5

A Pro

Member No.: 13,052

Cool.

Does anyone remember if that track that was in San Antonio(Schertz), wasn't it by a drive in for awhile?

+Quote Post
jwahl
post Jan 10 2013, 12:33 PM
Post #6

A Pro

Member No.: 3,699

QUOTE (koenning @ Jan 8 2013, 04:32 PM) *
Cool.

Does anyone remember if that track that was in San Antonio(Schertz), wasn't it by a drive in for awhile?

I raced an NBL national sometime around 96-98 at the San Antonio track. I remember it being in an old drive-in theater....a really old theater. I think the only thing left were some of the gates out front. The track had an over/under at the time.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2014 - 12:41 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees