IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
What age/class should tracks be optimized for?, Who matters most to this sport?
bystickel
post Feb 24 2012, 08:30 PM
Post #1

A Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,664

This is a spin-off from the 'I broke a hip at Oldsmar' thread, which tried to explore whether or not tracks have become too technical for younger/older/lesser riders. That discussion was dividing into 2 camps, A. the injuries are hurting the sport, and B. Grow a bigger set.

NO ONE TRACK IS GOING TO BE PERFECT FOR EVERY RIDER.

I don't care whether you think racing is perfect or doomed. Just tell me:

When a track is built, local or National, who should it be 100% perfect for? How old are they? What class do they run? Who gets happy? Who gets disappointed?

Who is most important to the present and future of BMX?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sxebmx
post Feb 24 2012, 08:51 PM
Post #2

A Pro

Member No.: 16,466

I don't think its the technicality of the tracks that is hurting people, it's that older dudes don't want to back down and don't realize that they're getting old and more prone to injury when things go wrong. Younger riders who aren't X take the harder tracks slower. Winning and losing isn't necessarily about going the fastest down the first straight but being able to manage whatever track happens to be infront of you, even if it means double tire rolling everything.

+Quote Post
tommydone
post Feb 24 2012, 09:21 PM
Post #3

AA Pro

Member No.: 11,686

QUOTE (sxebmx @ Feb 24 2012, 09:51 PM) *
I don't think its the technicality of the tracks that is hurting people, it's that older dudes don't want to back down and don't realize that they're getting old and more prone to injury when things go wrong. Younger riders who aren't X take the harder tracks slower. Winning and losing isn't necessarily about going the fastest down the first straight but being able to manage whatever track happens to be infront of you, even if it means double tire rolling everything.

disagree , but it isnt only the older guys getting hurt. The parents of that 10 year old novice go to their first national and see a parade of guys being shipped of in an ambulance and guess what? that 10 year old novice just got signed up for baseball and soccer. That in itself is going to hurt the sport. I think a balance needs to be found, are you going to please everyone? no way is that ever going to happen but when riders are traveling 10 plus hours for a weekend of racing and pull out of Sundays race because the track is too technical/dangerous,I think there is a problem

+Quote Post
gregford
post Feb 24 2012, 09:31 PM
Post #4

Intermediate

Member No.: 21,365

Why doesn't USABMX come up with a classification system for tracks? Rate the track on how technical it is, say A, B, C, D. Then that lets the parent/rider decide if they have the skills to compete that weekend. Yeah, I know, its about $$$. But we are talking about long term and keeping racers in the sport...your thoughts?

+Quote Post
bystickel
post Feb 24 2012, 09:45 PM
Post #5

A Pro

Member No.: 5,664

C'mon, focus. What age and class?

+Quote Post
Bikemonkeys
post Feb 24 2012, 09:54 PM
Post #6

Vet Pro

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 2,491

I think as best as can be done having something for everyone and making things racable by all.

Two big rollers are rollers for little kids and Dads new to racing, but can be a big double for the bigger and more expieranced. Table tops give less expieranced something safer to jump. Just placing a roller in front of a mid-sized jump harder for some while keeping some from even trying to jump it.

+Quote Post
hardees86
post Feb 24 2012, 09:55 PM
Post #7

Intermediate

Member No.: 18,722

QUOTE (gregford @ Feb 24 2012, 09:31 PM) *
Why doesn't USABMX come up with a classification system for tracks? Rate the track on how technical it is, say A, B, C, D. Then that lets the parent/rider decide if they have the skills to compete that weekend. Yeah, I know, its about $$$. But we are talking about long term and keeping racers in the sport...your thoughts?

i have been saying this for years!!!!! im glad someone else thinks like me..its pure genius...this is our new track for 2012 i think i might need my kx250 for this track lol

http://s380.photobucket.com/albums/oo245/r...13-26-40_61.mp4

http://s380.photobucket.com/albums/oo245/r...13-26-40_61.mp4

This post has been edited by hardees86: Feb 24 2012, 09:56 PM

+Quote Post
cornfed
post Feb 24 2012, 10:28 PM
Post #8

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 246

QUOTE (bystickel @ Feb 24 2012, 10:45 PM) *
C'mon, focus. What age and class?

All of them. All of ages. All classes.

Every rider is a customer of the sport. Tracks should strive for 100% satisfaction.

It is not too far out of reach to accommodate everyone.

+Quote Post
ANT DOG 3:16
post Feb 24 2012, 10:30 PM
Post #9

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 3,739

When CJBMX got rebuilt some people said it was now too hard, well guess what we have strider kids do full laps on it STRIDERS if a kid on a strider can do it with no help, then I see no reason for a classification system. Not trying to be prick, just speaking my mind.

BTW there was a new kid at practice last week, never been on a track, So I rode around with him, and guess what that gave him confidence to ride around by himself the rest of the day. Now I am no pro hell I am no expert (anymore) but I do know what to do to help someone who seems intimidated, give them that boost of confidence and everything else will fall in place.

This post has been edited by ANT DOG 3:16: Feb 24 2012, 10:37 PM

+Quote Post
RacegirlsDad
post Feb 25 2012, 12:26 AM
Post #10

Expert

Member No.: 7,815

We've been doing this for 8 years now, and I can honestly say that I have not really noticed the tracks getting any more technical. Oldsmar was different than anything we had seen before, but the girl adapted to it very quickly.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 11:36 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees