Reply to this topicStart new topic
opinions wanted
ANT DOG 3:16
post Feb 21 2012, 08:16 AM
Post #1

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,739

Be honest- what would you rate me as a photographer? I am asking becasue I want to get to the next level, keep in mind I have been using a point and shoot until this past weekend. I am now learing the dslr. If you have tips or advice please share. I know I am opening up myself to alot of differnt opions, but I am a big boy so I can take it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JohnHall
post Feb 21 2012, 08:42 AM
Post #2

Group: Track Management
Member No.: 33,915

AntDog,
I think for the most part your pics are great. Not to mention, your ongoing efforts of BMX documentation is greatly appreciated.

In browsing the EHT Session folder, I do notice that some of your pics are zoomed out and there is alot of background or foreground noise in them.

In my opinion, the best BMX action shots are those where the rider is in full frame and less visual distraction is apparent.

Focus is good. Subject in center is good.

+Quote Post
ZeroTolerence
post Feb 21 2012, 08:54 AM
Post #3

A Pro

Member No.: 28,151

Ant,

My wife was a model for a long time and is now on the other side of the camera. Having been on both sides of the camera has really benefited her photography. Hundreds of photo shoots and every photographer made the comment if they took 500 shots they were looking for 5 good ones. Everyone is looking for something different so no matter what you take someone will like something.

+Quote Post
Mac3150
post Feb 21 2012, 09:34 AM
Post #4

Expert

Member No.: 29,175

Photography is truly and art and the best thing you can do for yourself is to take a photography course at your local community college. It's amazing what you can do with photo editing software these days.

+Quote Post
DaBeast
post Feb 21 2012, 10:34 AM
Post #5

A Pro
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 33,707

Can't believe you asked for opinions here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
You should have just posted a couple pics and let people start ripping in. They're liable to go easy on you for being all 'up front' about it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sarcastic_hand.gif)

+Quote Post
Bill Hayden
post Feb 21 2012, 10:46 AM
Post #6

AA Pro
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 7,513

QUOTE (ZeroTolerence @ Feb 21 2012, 09:54 AM) *
Ant,

My wife was a model for a long time and is now on the other side of the camera. Having been on both sides of the camera has really benefited her photography. Hundreds of photo shoots and every photographer made the comment if they took 500 shots they were looking for 5 good ones. Everyone is looking for something different so no matter what you take someone will like something.

What he said, but to add to that. You used to take alot of pics of people in the pits, kinda catching them off guard if you will, catching the moment of that end of the BMX scene. That was some of your best stuff. You always could catch the fun vibe in the shots.

+Quote Post
mister2dt
post Feb 21 2012, 10:54 AM
Post #7

A Pro

Group: Track Management
Member No.: 25,807

Candid shots are the best shots.

On track, hard to say really because you are limited in lighting, angles, etc. i'll trll you what im tired of seeing... One single rider taking up the entire frame. All the blurring is a distraction as well. Its racing, candid racing shots are great. Get the faces, forget about the bikes, i would love to see some on track heat of the moment up close face shots. Expressing riders focus. Never see that. Its always full bike shots. Rather boring.

+Quote Post
ANT DOG 3:16
post Feb 21 2012, 11:23 AM
Post #8

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 3,739

Thank you all keep it coming. My preference is pack shots guys all bunched up in a turn. Until I had the dslr it WAS hard getting a good one. I will also try to eliminate the backround. I have found it is easier when you know.your subject S well. Danny smith and Phil d are just two of the guys I know by heart. I am familiar with their ztyle. Really anxious to start snapping action shots.

+Quote Post
934g
post Feb 21 2012, 12:06 PM
Post #9

A Pro

Member No.: 21,457

By using a dSLR you'll be able to shoot in RAW.
Then using the camera software to process the images. The data saved in the RAW files can help you figure out what settings you were using at the time. Valuable information to learn from. As well as save images that may have been a bit off in exposure or white balance.

I'd recommend a short seminar or something on the SLR camera so you can wrap your head around the mechanics of the thing.
(I know you're just excited about another class (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) …)

Cameras are alot like riding bikes. Anyone can do it. But it takes time and practice to become really good at it.
If you approach this like you do the bike. You'll have a blast.

Take most of the comments here and digest them. You'll find what you like to do! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'll try to hit the brakes so everyone stacks up in the turn for ya! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

934g

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2014 - 04:32 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees