Reply to this topicStart new topic
james herrera
turtle4130
post Feb 17 2012, 09:43 PM
Post #1

Expert

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,605

Who is this guy? What happened to Sean Dwight? I personally think they need Dr. JRich, Romero, and bigbird as the coaching staff. Whats everyones opinions?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RedA
post Feb 17 2012, 10:31 PM
Post #2

Expert

Group: BMX Industry
Member No.: 6,490

You mean the guy who just won the USA Cycling Coach of the year the very first time the award went to BMX. That Guy? Should have made your way to the Coaching Clinic in Chula and talk with him yourself. Dr. JRich,Big Bird using your names did.

+Quote Post
g-mo
post Feb 17 2012, 10:39 PM
Post #3

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 2,648

My man RedA..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Elvis
post Feb 17 2012, 11:48 PM
Post #4

Worst moderator ever

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 395

Internets LOL

+Quote Post
TonyHoffman
post Feb 18 2012, 12:06 AM
Post #5

A Pro

Member No.: 21,817

QUOTE (turtle4130 @ Feb 17 2012, 07:43 PM) *
Who is this guy? What happened to Sean Dwight? I personally think they need Dr. JRich, Romero, and bigbird as the coaching staff. Whats everyones opinions?

James is not new to BMX...

he holds two degrees one in exercise science another in psychology

His education exceeds bird and romero's combined which does not mean he is a better coach but he has a database of knowledge from education. (Coaching is an art form if you ask me, not a multiple choice test or extensive vocabulary)

Nic Long has been training with James for about a year now.. Pretty sure his results were pretty stellar.. He also trained Cisar pre 08 Olympics.

Brooke Crain also is training with James.. Her results have only gone up.

This post has been edited by TonyHoffman: Feb 18 2012, 12:07 AM

+Quote Post
MikeCarruth
post Feb 18 2012, 07:51 AM
Post #6

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 6,767

I have to admit that, when I first heard of his hiring last year, I had a similar question in my head--for about 10 minutes, until I did some research into his history. From that point on, I was a James fan and happy Mike was able to get him onboard the program. Reading some of his writing and @poweredbyplants tweets helped motivate me to go vegan, which has peeled 27lbs off my sorry behind, so far.

I am not here to measure James against any of the other coaches, many of whom are friends, and also abundantly qualified...but I will say that watching James in action would leave you with no doubt as to his professionalism and absolute command of where he and the USAC leadership want to take our team. He strikes me as a man of few words, but one that when he speaks, the words have meaning and precision.

It is clear that the athletes have the utmost respect for him (which is not given lightly by that crowd), and their results are proving out the success of the program.

I didn't know about the Coach of the Year award, so thanks for the heads up Jerry. That sounds like a News story to me!

Best,

M

+Quote Post
OLDSMARBMX
post Feb 18 2012, 08:16 AM
Post #7

A Pro
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 21,437

James is a good dude all the way.

Congrats Mike on the 27#, but that vegan stuff gives me the chills, im sure the taste works out over time though.

John

+Quote Post
MikeCarruth
post Feb 18 2012, 08:30 AM
Post #8

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 6,767

QUOTE (OLDSMARBMX @ Feb 18 2012, 08:16 AM) *
Congrats Mike on the 27#, but that vegan stuff gives me the chills, im sure the taste works out over time though.

Thanks, JS. And yea, you get used to it pretty quick--except for "Green Juice" which I still cannot choke down...just can't do it.

+Quote Post
tommy2x4
post Feb 18 2012, 08:36 AM
Post #9

2x4

Member No.: 841

There are so many facets to making the human body a better machine. Just because some body is a great rider doesn't mean they are automatically going to make a great coach and vice versa. I ran into this issue here. I know what would help some of these riders out locally, however another local guy felt he was more qualified and because he was younger and riding in single a, proceeded to try and disqualify my credentials.

The folks mentioned have devoted hours of study and implementing their knowledge into practice. The information is there, but what the true key to a rider success, is the rider believing in his coach/trainer. If the rider doesn't, then they are not going to reach the full potential. More than training the body, must come the mind as well.

So don't put up barriers just because a guy isn't a "bmxer" or not...

+Quote Post
Thumperpilot
post Feb 18 2012, 08:42 AM
Post #10

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 127

James is a top notch cat. Super educated in his field. He did use to race, as I use to race him. If memory serves me correct he or his parents use to run one of our tracks in El Paso, TX. He's not new to BMX, and is doing an excellent job.

Many of the names mentioned above are qualified for the job, but the fact is, James has it and is doing one hell of a job thus far.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2014 - 02:42 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees