IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1988 Haro Team Master, NOS frame and forks!!!
Radsters
post Feb 20 2012, 11:56 AM
Post #16

A Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,576

Holy CR*P that is one nice ride.
Great job, and congrats!!
Awesome.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JoeThePlumber
post Feb 21 2012, 08:03 AM
Post #17

Expert

Member No.: 18,190

THAT is a NICE build! Good job.

Personally I loved the boa brakes, they were easy to dial in, and came as close to 990 power as anything out there. But, they are the cause of the brakeless revolution in BMX...

I was teaching flatland at Woodward camp during the summer of 91. The plywood hoods came to the camp for a while and Chase ended up staying. He had boas on the front of his bike. (I did too). Pretty much all hardcore flatlanders were riding boas by that time, as they were amazing. (q bars too, loved them)

Well, we were in the lower barn doing flatland and Chase broke a upper gyro cable, rendering his back brakes toast.

He wasn't happy, and ripped the cable off the bike. (it was the second gyro cable he snapped in a day or two) Chase liked his brakes dailed, super tight, and the guy could really pull a lever HARD, so that is why he snapped cables so often.

Well, he kept riding without back brakes, and was doing more front wheel stuff. When all of a sudden while he was on the front wheel scuffing, he did a switch and pulled the brake, and PING

tink, tink, tink, tink, tink

As all the bearings fell off the snapped post and went all over the wood floor of the barn, rolling into the cracks in the floor and all over!

I forget what exactly he yelled, but I do remember laughing at the comedy of him trying to rip the cable/brake off his bike! I handed him a pair of pliars, and SNIP... He took off the cable, starting a revolution in bmx.

I offered him my bike, but he said he was done with brakes, they were too hard to keep dialed in and he was going to ride without brakes from then on.

I laughed again, and told him he was crazy. Then we all started thinking of tricks that you HAD to have brakes to do... (or so we thought). He proceeded to figure out how to do each one we mentioned without brakes in the next few hours. It was crazy! It pushed us all to try, (cept I did it the old school way, of just not pulling the lever).

And today, many flatlanders ride brakeless...

All because of the boa.

So yeah, I have a fond place in my heart for those brakes, even though I was sponsored by Dia Compe for years...

Course I never went brakeless, once I welded on the first set of posts on my 88 dyno forks... And felt first hand the power of 990's on the front of a bike, I knew I was hooked on strong brakes. It took a few years for the bike companies to catch up, but I was glad that dia compe sent me 990 posts, and all those years welding broken bikes came in handy.

Here is a picture of that old barn at Woodward Camp.

(IMG:http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv50/FreeEnterprise/90elbowhang5.jpg)

And here is a picture of Kevin riding my bike during that summer of 91.

(IMG:http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv50/FreeEnterprise/KevinJonmybike.jpg)

(IMG:http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv50/FreeEnterprise/KevinJwheelchair.jpg)

+Quote Post
Pauly
post Feb 21 2012, 10:57 AM
Post #18

My sig pic is HUGE!
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 2,296

Welcome back Glenn.

+Quote Post
therobster
post Feb 22 2012, 01:28 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 26,695

QUOTE (JoeThePlumber @ Feb 21 2012, 08:03 AM) *
THAT is a NICE build! Good job.

Thanks for your post, thats an awesome story!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
therobster
post Apr 10 2012, 12:16 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 26,695

Hey guys, thanks for your positive comments. I'm looking to let this go soon, might be whole or just f&f so pm me if your interested.

Its been ridden once and is still in 'mint' condition.

Cheers
Rob (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2014 - 06:44 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees