Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Who to date my PK Ripper, Just bought an '80's loop tail
CWRacing83
post Jan 29 2012, 02:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 34,848

Is there a way to get the exact date off the serial number? This was a barn find. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
slowman
post Jan 29 2012, 02:33 PM
Post #2

Intermediate

Member No.: 29,587

From my understanding there is no date code in the serial number. If you post pictures though then there are other clues that people can use to help you identify it within a range of years.

+Quote Post
MarkMc
post Jan 29 2012, 03:03 PM
Post #3

Intermediate

Member No.: 17,625

PK serials are merely sequential, from PK2XXXX, probably starting in mid-late 79, through PK7XXXX in 1984.

There are some minor stickering differences in the earlier models, but, the serial is truly all you need to ID the approximate year. The lower the earlier.

+Quote Post
CWRacing83
post Jan 30 2012, 01:59 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 34,848

QUOTE (MarkMc @ Jan 29 2012, 03:03 PM) *
PK serials are merely sequential, from PK2XXXX, probably starting in mid-late 79, through PK7XXXX in 1984.

There are some minor stickering differences in the earlier models, but, the serial is truly all you need to ID the approximate year. The lower the earlier.

Thanks I's PK5xxxx

+Quote Post
Indy
post Mar 4 2012, 07:46 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 34,603

QUOTE (MarkMc @ Jan 29 2012, 04:03 PM) *

which still means nothing more than it was produced between 78 and 84. Dating a Ripper is next to impossible, and by serial alone, it is impossible as far as I am concerned as I've been trying it for many years. Decals did differ from earliest with 2 gen's on looptails but those aren't stamped into the frame by any means and while drop outs changed on early forks, those can also be changed.... The ability to date a PK Ripper frame requires a crystal ball to get it close.

indy

+Quote Post
MarkMc
post Mar 4 2012, 10:52 PM
Post #6

Intermediate

Member No.: 17,625

QUOTE (Indy @ Mar 4 2012, 05:46 AM) *
which still means nothing more than it was produced between 78 and 84. Dating a Ripper is next to impossible, and by serial alone, it is impossible as far as I am concerned as I've been trying it for many years. Decals did differ from earliest with 2 gen's on looptails but those aren't stamped into the frame by any means and while drop outs changed on early forks, those can also be changed.... The ability to date a PK Ripper frame requires a crystal ball to get it close.

indy

Not really.

PK's didn't debut until 79, not 78. So, knock 78 out of the game. A large segment of 79, there were no serials. So, you start mid/late 79 with 2xxxx. There is also additional documentation showing manufacturing of about 11K frames a year. So, it's actually pretty simple if you just project out at about 10K frames a year to get pretty close.

A 5xxxx PK was probably produced around 1982.

+Quote Post
pk ripped
post May 12 2012, 10:17 AM
Post #7

VBMX Hall Of Famer

From: wearing a sleeveless Neil Peart shirt in Mississippi
Member No.: 1,487

Its also important to note that they were making the frames at such a fast clip (constantly backlogged) that they grabbed whatever dropouts were available including Race Inc dropouts and the older diamond dropouts. As well as grabbing dropouts out of sequence. This coming straight from Mike Devitt.

This post has been edited by pk ripped: May 12 2012, 10:18 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 01:47 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees