Reply to this topicStart new topic
1989 MCS Pro, Restoration project
TampaBMX1991
post Jan 16 2012, 02:19 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 34,968

Hi guys,
This is my first post on this website and I wanted some advice. I just got a 1989 MCS Pro frame and forks measuring about 19 inches in very good shape. I used to race a free agent and MCS back from 1991-1993 so I've been out of the loop for ages. I have a budget to keep so could you guys recommend some old school parts for a rebuild? I had no idea the stuff I used to get had become so rare now! lol. I basially need everything except the frame and forks. I kind of want to go with a one piece crank set up. Thanks.

This post has been edited by TampaBMX1991: Jan 16 2012, 02:41 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kastanman
post Jan 24 2012, 11:27 AM
Post #2

A Pro
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
From: Tennessee Home of bad whiskey, bad music, and Bad AZZ BMX
Member No.: 5,610

QUOTE (TampaBMX1991 @ Jan 16 2012, 09:19 AM) *
Hi guys,
This is my first post on this website and I wanted some advice. I just got a 1989 MCS Pro frame and forks measuring about 19 inches in very good shape. I used to race a free agent and MCS back from 1991-1993 so I've been out of the loop for ages. I have a budget to keep so could you guys recommend some old school parts for a rebuild? I had no idea the stuff I used to get had become so rare now! lol. I basially need everything except the frame and forks. I kind of want to go with a one piece crank set up. Thanks.

My advice would be, if your going the economy route and you want to stay era correct the go with odyssey. You can get cranks, pedals, post, clamp and probably brakes for less than a buck 50. and you can newer ame grips and a ropop dominator on the cheap also. you can also check out porkchop for some retro gears and wheels.

Post a pic of the frame and fork. since the serial numbers aren't date coded it's hard to nail down an exact year on these bike, so you have to use the build characteristics. does yours have an oval tube or a flat gusset behind the bottom bracket? do the fork dropouts have cutouts?

+Quote Post
TampaBMX1991
post Jan 24 2012, 10:27 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Kastanman @ Jan 24 2012, 12:27 PM) *
My advice would be, if your going the economy route and you want to stay era correct the go with odyssey. You can get cranks, pedals, post, clamp and probably brakes for less than a buck 50. and you can newer ame grips and a ropop dominator on the cheap also. you can also check out porkchop for some retro gears and wheels.

Post a pic of the frame and fork. since the serial numbers aren't date coded it's hard to nail down an exact year on these bike, so you have to use the build characteristics. does yours have an oval tube or a flat gusset behind the bottom bracket? do the fork dropouts have cutouts?

Ok, cool. Im going to try to get some pics up tomorrow. I bought n odyssey chrome seat post and some sweet jp hubs.
Im just kind of not sure its a 1989 MCS. now. Im thinking its a 1990. It measures about 19 inches up top. May be once you see it you can help me out.

+Quote Post
TampaBMX1991
post Feb 5 2012, 12:15 AM
Post #4

Sorry bro its taken so long for me to reply. It has a flat bridge behind the bottom brackets and cut outs on the drop outs. I really think its a 90. I got some one piece tioga cranks vintage with a star wheel. Scored some sweet 85 901 dia comp brakes as well.

QUOTE (Kastanman @ Jan 24 2012, 12:27 PM) *

+Quote Post
Kastanman
post Mar 14 2012, 02:13 PM
Post #5

A Pro
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
From: Tennessee Home of bad whiskey, bad music, and Bad AZZ BMX
Member No.: 5,610

QUOTE (TampaBMX1991 @ Feb 5 2012, 07:15 AM) *
Sorry bro its taken so long for me to reply. It has a flat bridge behind the bottom brackets and cut outs on the drop outs. I really think its a 90. I got some one piece tioga cranks vintage with a star wheel. Scored some sweet 85 901 dia comp brakes as well.

Flat bridge behind the BB means it's pre 90. The forks came both ways in 90 on the pro size 20". a little longer on the cruisers and smaller frames.

And get me some info on that Terry Tennette frame you posted about.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 10:13 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees