Reply to this topicStart new topic
Retro Hack
cornfed
post Jan 6 2012, 10:32 AM
Post #1

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Members
Member No.: 246

I am not really into the retro thing, but I guess this applies. I am trying to make this as heavy as I can. The fork alone is about 5lbs. Total weight is almost 58lbs.

(IMG:http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c24/john_n_/064.jpg)

- Patriot hack (21" TT)
-DK 70mm stem
-Eastern 9" Wonderyears
-Primo Rod Chromo post
-Aitken seat
-FSA cranks (Ithink) might be DK Social (same thing?)
-S&M DX pedals
-newschool Weinmann rims 48 spoke rear and hack wheels, 36 front wheel
-Bulletproof sealed hubs
-Eastern 44T street chainwheel
-KMC 710
-White Ind freewheel
-Primo V-monster hack rear tire; Shadow Con front
-tech 77's
-bottle opener headset spacer
-bar tape and painted fender and diamond plate w/ truck bed liner

Any ideas how to make it heavier? I am thinking 3/16 chain, maybe add some wheel covers, hahaha
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jet Black
post Jan 11 2012, 12:57 AM
Post #2

AA Pro

Member No.: 7,042

Heavier ? You might try making a thick steel chequer plate cover for the 3rd wheel instead of that lightweight guard you have on it now.
Liberal use of more steel chequer plate in the bike frame's diamond areas.
Similar rear wheel cover for the bike with a good platform for the monkeys foot to stand on , so that the foot dosen't get crushed in a collision or caught up in if he has to bail.
An assortment of mediaevil , flails , mace's , short swords , calthrops etc attached around the monkeys cage for him to use , each hand held weapon is worth ~3lbs on average.

Yeah you definately want some front wheel covers , 1/4 inch chequer plate for each of them.

You might have to drop the a few teeth offa the front sprocket to say a 42 tooth & weld on a seriously strong chain guard/cover to protect it , as the hack won't be stopping for nothing once it gets rolling <heh>

We drew plenty of blood from the competition at the first Australian BMX titles in 1980 ?? & kept up the tradition for the next 4 years or so. On a fast downhill track sidehack racing could get really viscious , nah , brutal, a lotta weight , no brakes & plenty of 3 wheel drifts into the corner if we were running behind , if it wasn't metal on metal , it was our metal on their skin & bones......

You have definately built up a sidehack in the spirit of what I finally finished up racing on BITD , plenty of width & room for the team to lean & shift weight when turning into a fast left or right hand berm. I hope you can find some double jumps to clear , rather than roll & pump thru......

JB

+Quote Post
slidejob
post Jan 11 2012, 07:58 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 15,623

Coloredtuffs.com has a Tuff Wheel, wheel set for sidehacks. That should add some weight and look cool too.

+Quote Post
cornfed
post Jan 12 2012, 09:03 AM
Post #4

VBMX Hall Of Famer

QUOTE (Jet Black @ Jan 11 2012, 01:57 AM) *
Heavier ? You might try making a thick steel chequer plate cover for the 3rd wheel instead of that lightweight guard you have on it now.
Liberal use of more steel chequer plate in the bike frame's diamond areas.
Similar rear wheel cover for the bike with a good platform for the monkeys foot to stand on , so that the foot dosen't get crushed in a collision or caught up in if he has to bail.
An assortment of mediaevil , flails , mace's , short swords , calthrops etc attached around the monkeys cage for him to use , each hand held weapon is worth ~3lbs on average.

Yeah you definately want some front wheel covers , 1/4 inch chequer plate for each of them.

You might have to drop the a few teeth offa the front sprocket to say a 42 tooth & weld on a seriously strong chain guard/cover to protect it , as the hack won't be stopping for nothing once it gets rolling <heh>

We drew plenty of blood from the competition at the first Australian BMX titles in 1980 ?? & kept up the tradition for the next 4 years or so. On a fast downhill track sidehack racing could get really viscious , nah , brutal, a lotta weight , no brakes & plenty of 3 wheel drifts into the corner if we were running behind , if it wasn't metal on metal , it was our metal on their skin & bones......

You have definately built up a sidehack in the spirit of what I finally finished up racing on BITD , plenty of width & room for the team to lean & shift weight when turning into a fast left or right hand berm. I hope you can find some double jumps to clear , rather than roll & pump thru......

JB

Thx for the feedback...I am not looking just make it heavier for "heavy's" sake. I don't want to make stuff for it. I am just looking for old production parts that are heavy as crap. Everyone is always trying to make their bikes as light as possible. I'm going the other way (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Tuff wheels are a possibility. It would look good w/ graphites. They are flexy though uder all this weight and the brakes will be even worse. Maybe though. Actually, I am not sure that they will be heavier than the wheels on it, lol.

I am trying to locate a 3/16" street chain from the late 90's/early 00's. Those were rediculously heavy. I do have the bolt-on "pork chop" style bashguard for this chain ring too.

I am considering some plastic wheel discs, at least for the hack wheel, to prevent feet and paws from going in the spokes. I haven't found any yet. I would prefer some old production ones but maybe I'll just make some.

This thing is fun!

This post has been edited by cornfed: Jan 12 2012, 09:09 AM

+Quote Post
cheez
post Feb 10 2012, 02:13 PM
Post #5

Master of disasters

Member No.: 3,135

Well for starters go Moto Mags or Lesters, if those prove to costly or hard to get at least go with a 48 spoke front wheel and some disks on all (Monkeys have a way of getting their little fingers in them spokes) Find a nice set of cast iron 3pc cranks from a 90's Specialized or walgoose, some slime tubes, some number plates made from 1/4 thick steel diamond plate with tungston carbide numbers riveted on with 120 lead rivets maybe?

Better not get any air with this thing get out of shape and haver it land on you cause it'll squash you

This post has been edited by cheez: Feb 10 2012, 02:14 PM

+Quote Post
Master Jim
post Feb 10 2012, 03:37 PM
Post #6

Intermediate

Member No.: 10,118

QUOTE (cornfed @ Jan 12 2012, 04:03 PM) *
I am considering some plastic wheel discs, at least for the hack wheel, to prevent feet and paws from going in the spokes. I haven't found any yet. I would prefer some old production ones but maybe I'll just make some.

This thing is fun!

Neat project!

I saw a pair of old Haro disc wheel covers (from the Haro Dart) in our vaforite place a few days ago. Not too pricy either...

Might be worth a look... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

+Quote Post
cornfed
post Feb 11 2012, 08:19 PM
Post #7

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Cool guys, thx for the incite. I appreciate it. Good ideas here

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2014 - 07:05 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees