post Mar 29 2012, 12:35 PM
Post #241

BMX Coach
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 5,675

[quote name='DavidArgue' date='Mar 23 2012, 02:57 PM' post='1164149']
Big Bird

Whats your opinion on alternating which foot is forward when doing plain ole flat ground sprints from a stop?

e.g.

Sprint 1. left foot forward
Sprint 2. Right foot forward
etc

I always alternate like that. But at the track, stumpy gate etc always go right foot forward.
[/quote]

Opinions are going to vary on this subject, but here is my take....

Sprints from a stopped position are generally done with the starting foot forward (i.e. gates).

Most other sprints where you alternate the starting foot are done in a rolling start.

However, consider this confusion....don't you typically hesitate before an obstacle or skip a revolution to set your pedals for how you jump or manual? Yep, you do! So what if you were had the SKILLZ to do either? Boom!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Big Bird
post Mar 29 2012, 12:42 PM
Post #242

BMX Coach
Group Icon

[quote name='Cheetabrian' date='Mar 25 2012, 03:59 PM' post='1164400']
On the website fatbmx they ask pro racers questions and one of them is when was the last time you went to the gym?. The last 10 interviews I looked at five said today, one said most days, two said yesterday and two said a week ago.

Maybe that will help someone here stay or get motivated and lift some weights.
[/quote]

This is a really good point. I've done my share of studying sprinters/hurdlers and for the most part there is a 60/40 split of gym work/track work respectively.

I will say that nothing duplicates track time & skills other than being on the bike. That really should never be compromised or discussed.

However, the proper gym work can supplement your BMX racing just like it does for football, baseball, sprinters, etc.

I often get the argument that "we're not trying to be powerlifters here" - Like I didn't know that! But I did notice you were gonna do squats anyways, so shud up and train. LOL!

+Quote Post
Big Bird
post Mar 29 2012, 12:50 PM
Post #243

BMX Coach
Group Icon

[quote name='benbmx47' date='Mar 26 2012, 10:32 PM' post='1164567']
Bird in some of PC's videos there's clips of people doing sprints on the bike draggin another rider, what's your take on this?
[/quote]

That probably really sucks for the rider being dragged. Maybe he deserved it. Dragging people is not my thing, but in Texas where PC is....

Honestly, PC has some good stuff. We talk often and he has some innovative ideas. Any type of drag like a sled, whether walking, running, riding...is going to do the following things:

- improve conditioning

- develop the posterior chain

- create strain (i.e. max effort work depending on load/volume)

PC is good at explaining his stuff, but in particular, this would be similar to sprints with a "harder" gear - which will in turn develop strength and power for your "normal" gear.

+Quote Post
Big Bird
post Mar 29 2012, 12:54 PM
Post #244

BMX Coach
Group Icon

Ok, hopefully I got a majority of the open questions answered...I've been off the grid for a few days traveling doing seminars.

I'm off to Chula Vista - If you see me say hi.

Otherwise I will try and post pics and videos from Chula upon my return.

+Quote Post
benbmx47
post Mar 29 2012, 01:01 PM
Post #245

Novice

Group: Members
Member No.: 34,683

Ok cool, I just sent through that email to mate, thanks

+Quote Post
CWracer
post Mar 30 2012, 10:44 PM
Post #246

A Pro

Member No.: 22,516

[quote name='Big Bird' date='Mar 29 2012, 01:31 PM' post='1165011']
"Body Builders"? Daaaang! What did I do to offend you? How offensive! Poo Poo on you! LOL...I'm not a fan of body builders. I don't really think vanity/appearance is a sport, but that's just my opinion. I strictly train/train others for performance, not looks. In fact, my gym doesn't have a single mirror in it...no air conditioning, no heat...just like a typical outdoor BMX track.

As for recovery....true max effort work takes about 72 hours to recover from.
[/quote]

No, no, no. I didn't mean it as a vanity. I meant it in the sense that you are indeed building the body. The variations on lifts constantly impress me.

ANYWAY...you guys inspired me. I went ahead and got a membership at a local gym. 10 bucks a month, how can you go wrong?
So, I did squats today. I never used to do squats...only deadlifts. Squats were something I was never comfortable doing, because I didn't want to have bad form or hurt myself. But I watched some vids and practiced with an empty barbell and just added a small amount to it until I felt like it was getting closed to being about right. Did it! A little late in the season to start this, but I guess I'm right on track for the 2013 season.

I'll hit it again tomorrow and do some upperbody. I'm trying to focus on compound exercises. I want to keep things simple and just add more as I learn more. In fact, another BMX'er I know trains there and we're going to meet next week so he can show me his routine. I'm feeing really good about this.

+Quote Post
RedMist
post Mar 31 2012, 02:19 PM
Post #247

A Pro

Member No.: 33,937

[quote name='Big Bird' date='Mar 29 2012, 12:31 PM' post='1165011']
"Body Builders"? Daaaang! What did I do to offend you? How offensive! Poo Poo on you! LOL...I'm not a fan of body builders. I don't really think vanity/appearance is a sport, but that's just my opinion. I strictly train/train others for performance, not looks. In fact, [b]my gym doesn't have a single mirror in it[/b]...no air conditioning, no heat...just like a typical outdoor BMX track.

As for recovery....true max effort work takes about 72 hours to recover from.
[/quote]

How can you check your form with no mirrors?

+Quote Post
benbmx47
post Apr 1 2012, 08:35 PM
Post #248

Novice

Member No.: 34,683

Train with a partner or a spotter to keep an eye on your form.

+Quote Post
CWracer
post Apr 1 2012, 11:25 PM
Post #249

A Pro

Member No.: 22,516

Today I did upperbody (while my lowerbody continues to recover from Friday....and boy can I feel it.). Just some basic stuff. But when I did a military press with dumbells I sharp pain in my bicep, which was from some kind of muscular injury I sustained from a crash a couple of years ago. I backed off on the weight and was able to complete the lift, but I thought I had recovered from that injury.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Does weight lifting help to rehab muscles? For example, I twisted my knee during gate practice last Fall. It hurt for a while, but I noticed that when I started doing more leg exercises the pain seemed to start going away. I almost don't even know I twisted it now. I'd like to see this issue with my bicep go away because it's going to affect maximal lifting.

+Quote Post
Bikemonkeys
post Apr 2 2012, 06:15 AM
Post #250

Vet Pro

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 2,491

[quote name='benbmx47' date='Apr 1 2012, 09:35 PM' post='1165591']
Train with a partner or a spotter to keep an eye on your form.
[/quote]

I've noticed that as I watch what I am doing in a mirror, the act of looking at the mirror is what causes the poor form. And when doing squats, just a little difference in being tight can mean making a lift or using the safety bars.

+Quote Post

36 Pages V  « < 23 24 25 26 27 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 11:07 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees