Reply to this topicStart new topic
Big Bird Training, Training From The Bird Nest
tommy2x4
post Mar 13 2012, 12:04 PM
Post #211

2x4

Group: Members
Member No.: 841

Assessment of one's weakness is difficult. It's easy to sugar coat things. After Morristown's race, I realized my stamina towards the end is not where I want. I have implemented a sprint program where I alternate between bike sprints and sprints on stair stepper.

On the stepper I will warm up on a moderate pace, making sure I step at least 6-8". At the 10 minute mark I sprint 30 seconds at 80-90% effort. I actively recover for two minutes then proceed to do that 6 times 3 sprints at 80-90% and the last 3 at 95%. Then cool down.

Constructive comments welcomed
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Big Bird
post Mar 14 2012, 01:24 AM
Post #212

BMX Coach
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 5,675

[quote name='tommy2x4' date='Mar 13 2012, 07:04 PM' post='1162640']
Assessment of one's weakness is difficult. It's easy to sugar coat things. After Morristown's race, I realized my stamina towards the end is not where I want. I have implemented a sprint program where I alternate between bike sprints and sprints on stair stepper.

On the stepper I will warm up on a moderate pace, making sure I step at least 6-8". At the 10 minute mark I sprint 30 seconds at 80-90% effort. I actively recover for two minutes then proceed to do that 6 times 3 sprints at 80-90% and the last 3 at 95%. Then cool down.

Constructive comments welcomed
[/quote]

Tommy, this is an excellent subject.

Everybody practices their 1st straight...who actually "trains" having enough to push the last straight 100%? The answer is, not many. Those that do have a last straight typically got it from racing a lot.

I'm personally not a big fan of "endurance work", but I welcome various opinions. I do however like raising your capacity. I think it's important to know or consult with someone that understands what "energy systems" the body uses. Some options that may help your (meaning anybody's) last straight...
- Don't just practice the first straight. Get some full practice laps in.
- Increase your work capacity or volume. Do more sprints as an example.
- Decrease rest between sets in gym and sprint work

...there are many more, but it would be good to hear from others.

+Quote Post
Big Bird
post Mar 14 2012, 09:18 AM
Post #213

BMX Coach
Group Icon

[quote name='Big Bird' date='Mar 14 2012, 04:16 PM' post='1162792']
Bob, thanks for the reply and welcome to the training section. I was skeptical that lifting heavy would hinder bmx performance too, but the fact is, ONLY lifting heavy won't really do anything for BMX, but maybe make your first few pedals out of the gate stronger (but necessarily faster). Besides getting faster, the key really is to become more powerful. In my opinion, BMX is similar to MMA (i.e. UFC). You need to be strong, fast, but your key elements are your skills....and a well rounded fighter possesses all of these qualities, as does a well rounded BMXer.

Now, let's take a few more scenarios such as a novice rider: rides choppy, leans over the bars & technique is obviously lacking. Not only is this a skill issue, but it's also an indicator of several weaknesses too. Now take the opposite...a very skilled and talented rider, who is national main-maker and has NEVER been in the gym. I got money that kid who can race at the national level and has never been in the gym has some serious horsepower under the hood - and with the proper technique/supervision, has an impressive squat. They can do plyos better than their high school peers on the starting basketball team. Racing and (the proper) weight training really do compliment each other.

Also, take that novice rider who leans way over his bars while chopping carrot sticks, and you will see the same issues if you ask them to do a (safe, low weight) squat or deadlift; leans forward, rounded back, etc.

Next, go pull up youtube and watch a typical race. During your average 35 second race, you will see an average of 12-15 seconds pedaling. What is a rider doing for the other 20 seconds??? It's all these funky motions that resemble squatting, deadlifting, good-mornings, power-cleans, plyometrics, etc. Besides increasing your skills, how should you train for that other 20 seconds?

I'm not even going to get into the body-building routines that so many BMXers get sucked into doing, but squatting is typically associated with going heavy. Again, heavy is only a portion of what you should do. More importantly, you should be doing it explosively....like an Olympic lift. How does an individual do that? Drop your 1RM squat to approx 40-50% and do several sets of explosive low reps (resembles hitting 2nd straight, doesn't it?) Now the video may make a little more sense. As for the bench with bamboo/kettlebells...turn those guys upright/horizontal...now it resembles them holding the handlebars - that particular movement helps with upper body stability issues like hitting ruts, bonking, pack riding, etc.

Now I will address the accommodating resistance (chains & bands). For BMX, as mentioned, moving weight explosively (like a power clean) is more beneficial than a heavy lift. Bands do several things besides incorporate more resistance, which I will name a few:
- BMX is primarily concentric movements. Bands deload the eccentric phases of a lift (which causes a lot of soreness/DOMS) and rapidly upload the concentric movements
- Bands increases the neuromuscular activity more than just straight bar weight by adding resistance with the ability to still move it explosively, adding the programming the CNS to be faster & stronger (more powerful).
- Bands have the ability to force the body into being faster, more powerful - as proven with Tendo Unit
- Although chains do not have the stretch reflex bands do, they are similar in the uploading/deloading, and provide a different stimulus of more core work due to unpredictable/inconsistent movements (i.e. swaying).
- Due to the significant uploading effects of both chains & bands, the body is "encouraged" to increase it's rate of force to maintain technique & speed. Try moving 200 lbs of band tension slow to see what happens.
- By accommodating resistance such as chains and/or bands, you introduce a new stimulus to the body, making it virtually impossible to plateau.

I will end with this...

Let's say you have 2 nearly identical riders. Very good technique/skills and whomever has the inside gate always determines who comes out of the 1st turn on top. How would you break this to give 1 rider the consistent edge? What if you put a few more horsepower under the hood?
[/quote]

+Quote Post
CWracer
post Mar 14 2012, 09:44 AM
Post #214

A Pro

Member No.: 22,516

Okay, I understand that the above is about adding bands to a barbell, but what if you just run heavier and/or multiple bands and skip the barbell?

+Quote Post
Big Bird
post Mar 15 2012, 11:49 AM
Post #215

BMX Coach
Group Icon

[quote name='CWracer' date='Mar 14 2012, 03:44 PM' post='1162803']
Okay, I understand that the above is about adding bands to a barbell, but what if you just run heavier and/or multiple bands and skip the barbell?
[/quote]

Ok, so we are going to start getting into my technical "secrets" here....

You can do this. Actually in America, you can do just about anything you want, unless it requires a permit - then the permit process is so bureaucratic, it will make you want to give up on your intentions. Thank God there are no permitting requirements for bands (yet).

Ok, over here at the Big Bird Institute For Scientific Studies (aka BBISS, or BS for short), we have actually conducted real studies with BMXers following the guidance and protocols from Louie Simmons/Westside Barbell.

Using 6 BMXers, ranging in age from 13 to 44 (4 males & 2 females), we conducted 10 lifts (squats) with 3 different bands (light, average & strong); 30 lifts total for each / 180 lifts total.*

*there were actually more people/lifts conducted in this study that provided the same results, but only the 6 BMX athletes are mentioned here. Also noteworthy; the study was conducted over 3 to 4 weeks, as ample rest time needed to produce true results without fatigue due to volume.

So here was the protocol:
- each athlete was to squat to parallel for 10 singles, minimum of 3 minutes rest between, starting at 10% of their 1RM, and 9 more (10% increments) up to 100% with a AVG band attached.
Example: Subject A's 1RM squat is 240 lbs.

SET WEIGHT BAND REST

1 BW Avg 3
2 48 lbs Avg 3
3 72 lbs Avg 3
4 96 lbs Avg 3
5 120 lbs Avg 3

9 216 lbs Avg 5
10 240 lbs Avg Miss/Failed

- the following week, the same was duplicated with an light or strong band, and so on...
- a tendo unit was attached to each lift to measure power and velocity

Here's is what the results yielded us:
- the highest average for BOTH power & velocity was 47% bar weight of an athlete's 1RM with the average bands attached
- both power and velocity diminished significantly below 40% and above 60%.

The best way to describe this as an analogy is to use use a wiffle bar vs hardball in pitching - to measure the highest power & velocity, the hardball is the obvious choice.

This should be enough to blow the minds off most PhD's. Sometimes the blown mind does not have any physical symptoms for up to 72 hours.

So CW, although you can just add bands, but your power & speed will be a train wreck at best. There are protocols for what bands should be used, when & how to use them. For example, I would rarely every use a strong band for someone who isn't at least a 400 lbs squatter - too risky without any carryover.

Otherwise, I'm not giving away any more "secrets" on this one. ;-)

This post has been edited by Big Bird: Mar 15 2012, 11:54 AM

+Quote Post
RedMist
post Mar 16 2012, 02:54 PM
Post #216

A Pro

Member No.: 33,937

BigBird
Not really BMX related, but. Any thoughts on how I can rehab or train around my tennis elbow?

+Quote Post
CWracer
post Mar 18 2012, 07:19 PM
Post #217

A Pro

[quote name='Big Bird' date='Mar 15 2012, 12:49 PM' post='1163036']
So CW, although you can just add bands, but your power & speed will be a train wreck at best. There are protocols for what bands should be used, when & how to use them.
[/quote]

So basically there's just no way around having a barbell. Frustrating.

+Quote Post
s4lnj
post Mar 19 2012, 06:10 AM
Post #218

AA Pro

Member No.: 1,732

not entirelly true-- get a dufflebag and fill it with sand(or rice, gravel, rubber mulch is a nice filling that wont make a mess if it were to spill) you can do deads, hug it and do front squats, build a shelf and load it on(kinda like a clean)--- the unstability of the bag will give an extra stilulus and grabbing th ebag is good for your grip. you can find army style duffels for around $35, use a couple trash bags as a bladder, then fill 5 lb bags and drop them in for your desired weight.

go to a truck/tractor tire shop and get a used tube. they dont really usetubes in passener cars anyomre. do the same thing. cut it in half, roll and ziptie the end, fill it up, roll and zip the other end. throw it on your shoulders and start climbingsome stairs. these are nice because the curve of the tube lays right round your shoulders.

think outside the box. i think i said it in this thread earlier-- resistance is resistance--

red mst-- have you tried one of those bands that you see guys wear around thier forearms? they are specificlly for tennis elbow. itwill slightlly change the angle the muscles pull on the joint

+Quote Post
CWracer
post Mar 19 2012, 10:51 AM
Post #219

A Pro

[quote name='s4lnj' date='Mar 19 2012, 07:10 AM' post='1163445']

think outside the box. i think i said it in this thread earlier-- resistance is resistance--
[/quote]

Well, that's why I'm not understanding the problem with just using heavier bands. Is it because the resistance changes?

You guys have to be patient with me, I'm one of those idiots who gets a gym membership and then only works upperbody using machines.

Okay, let me get some opinions on this. Cheap, small and pretty portable. Thanks for the suggestion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?src_vid=COaLwNSHgYU&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_87291&v=8PB0faPP5dM

This post has been edited by CWracer: Mar 19 2012, 10:52 AM

+Quote Post
benbmx47
post Mar 19 2012, 02:27 PM
Post #220

Novice

Member No.: 34,683

Its not a problem that the resistance changes the problem in the changed resistance is to great and power output ibecomes warped as bird already stated, so basically to have the best results and calculated results you need a barbell and additional weight, otherwise results will be very inconsistant, I think haha

+Quote Post

36 Pages V  « < 20 21 22 23 24 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 05:45 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees