Big Bird Training, Training From The Bird Nest
RedMist
post Feb 14 2012, 12:27 PM
Post #151

A Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 33,937

BigBird.
What are your thoughts on leg extensions and hamstring curls?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Big Bird
post Feb 14 2012, 03:36 PM
Post #152

BMX Coach
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 5,675

[quote name='CoachG' date='Feb 14 2012, 12:11 AM' post='1156699']

Okay, BMX Turbulence, my perspective....
It covers a number of solutions: The majority of BMXers do not weight lift nor train. That's a fact. Another fact is a majority of you that do train have very little experience in training, nor do you train consistent. The majority are not conditioned for advanced methods, period. Lastly, when weather is crap and your in the gym 2-3 times a week, and you need to mimic full lap work so you can hit the ground running when the track opens up, this is where the DVD really picks up the slack. So it's simply a tool to use to get in shape for track speed or for the majority, general shape. It's either a train to get ready to train or for the majority,to race.

[/quote]

Coach G's words on this really struck a cord with me. He's right. It's not just BMX, it's with a lot of my athletes. Consider how many kids play High School football and make it to the NFL.

For every 100 people I talk to about training, 10 tell me they are going to start training and get serious. 1 or 2 actually do it. That's 1 to 2% of people in the sport.

The reason Coach G's words impacted me so greatly is that my objective with training or this thread for that matter is to get the BMX culture off the couch and/or really serious about training. I figured the more I can share knowledge, the more people will do, because they are equipped to go get results for themselves or their 14 year old.

Truth is, you can encourage & inspire...you can share knowledge all day, but motivation comes from within. You either have it or you don't.

DO NOT WATCH the following videos if you lack motivation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEHQ9tzJpYA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i3g-RvC-iA

Maybe you don't agree with my style of training or all that I've said. Maybe the turbulence dvd isn't for you. They both can and do have their places - but whatever it is you need, go get it.

+Quote Post
CWracer
post Feb 15 2012, 12:24 AM
Post #153

A Pro

Member No.: 22,516

[quote name='Big Bird' date='Feb 14 2012, 03:36 PM' post='1156893']
Coach G's words on this really struck a cord with me. He's right. It's not just BMX, it's with a lot of my athletes. Consider how many kids play High School football and make it to the NFL.

For every 100 people I talk to about training, 10 tell me they are going to start training and get serious. 1 or 2 actually do it. That's 1 to 2% of people in the sport.

The reason Coach G's words impacted me so greatly is that my objective with training or this thread for that matter is to get the BMX culture off the couch and/or really serious about training. [/quote]

It's not always about the couch, Bird, often it's just about having the time. This week I've managed to make it to the pumptrack 2x. I started the Turbulence DVD and made through the warm up before I had to help kids with homework and then get dinner going so now I have to shoot for tomorrow. The DVD takes me about 50 min to complete and like I said in an earlier post, I try to incorporate bands into the exercises G does. My goal was to hit it every other day, but I'm generally luck if I can get it in 2x a week. I'm concerned that I won'd get any benefit from this.

+Quote Post
s4lnj
post Feb 15 2012, 02:17 PM
Post #154

AA Pro

Member No.: 1,732

break your workouts up you you need to, getting them in in segments is better than not getting them in.

i train ant home, and while i make every effort to get my workout done in one sitting, sometimes, with three kids, it just doesn't happen.

since you workout at home, with little equiptment i would check out rosstraining.com , he's a boxing trainer/ strength and conditioning coach. his conditioning workouts will destroy you in minimal time. only have ten minutes to spare? he has you covered with the no excusses workout. lots of free articles there

and lifting heavy... resistance is resistance, weather it's steel plates, bodyweight, tractor tires, or duffle bags full of twinkies... your body doesn't know the difference. if you only have bands, and want to go heavier, double them up, wear a backpack with a 50lb bag of rice in it, do single limb movements, ect. there are ways to build strength with minimal equiptment.

as far as "is this enough" it depends on alot of different things--- genetics and goals being the biggest two. (imo)

i am slow. period. i always joke at the track that i work twice as hard to go half as fast. lol. example-- i grew up riding with my cousin andy, he was always better than me. as i went off to college to wrestle and run track, he stayed home to drink and go to jail. i continued to train, eat right, stay active. he continued to do drugs, stay drunk, and eat crap. he will occasionaly stop by my house, grab my bike, without having ridden in years, and proceed to make me look like a fool. lol. i hate it.

do you want to shoot for the 2016 olympics? or do you want to just win some locals, or somehere in between? like stay in shape, set a good example for the kids and have some bmx fun in the process?

like bb said, it all really weighs on what you need to work on, and what your goals are, but thats only for you to decide.

i like to pick up heavy things. take bmx away and you will still find me in the basement doing deads and cleans. if you enjoy doing band workouts, then by all means, get your bands out and put work in. thats the most important thing. like alot of tings in life, you get back what you put in.

part of the problem with th einternet is information overload, and trying to figure out whats best. but what is best for me may not be best for you, or best for bb. you have to find what works for you, then break your balls doing it

+Quote Post
Big Bird
post Feb 15 2012, 04:00 PM
Post #155

BMX Coach
Group Icon

[quote name='RedMist' date='Feb 14 2012, 06:27 PM' post='1156853']
BigBird.
What are your thoughts on leg extensions and hamstring curls?
[/quote]

Well, leg extensions apply constant pressure on the ACL. This alone has its risks, but leg extensions also put a shearing force on the patellar tendon.

So not in favor of this one. Alternatives would be squats or step ups, lunges, etc. Good question for the PT's to add their perspective like Tommy 2X4.

IMO hamstring curls are isolated by a machine so are more of a body-building movement. However, if this is all you have...train them heavy. I like the following options better:

Glute-Ham-Raise (GHR) - although rare to find
Deadlifts (various stances and types)
Good Mornings

This post has been edited by Big Bird: Feb 15 2012, 04:02 PM

+Quote Post
Big Bird
post Feb 15 2012, 04:31 PM
Post #156

BMX Coach
Group Icon

[quote name='CWracer' date='Feb 15 2012, 06:24 AM' post='1157048']
It's not always about the couch, Bird, often it's just about having the time. This week I've managed to make it to the pumptrack 2x. I started the Turbulence DVD and made through the warm up before I had to help kids with homework and then get dinner going so now I have to shoot for tomorrow. The DVD takes me about 50 min to complete and like I said in an earlier post, I try to incorporate bands into the exercises G does. My goal was to hit it every other day, but I'm generally luck if I can get it in 2x a week. I'm concerned that I won'd get any benefit from this.
[/quote]

I totally understand what you're saying, and I appreciate the working dads (and moms) that are not just soccer moms (dads included) that are out there risking their lives on dangerous BMX tracks.

But, the BIG question is, what are your goals?
- stay in shape/improve overall fitness via BMX?
- win the state race?
- make mains at nationals?
- NAG plate?

Each one of those would progressively take on more serious training. So using the DVD and bands, yes, it will improve your overall fitness, and is probably more than 90% of 40 year olds are doing - so I applaud you.

What is your next step(s)?

https://twitter.com/#!/bbiggbird/status/158619060253360128/photo/1/large

+Quote Post
Big Bird
post Feb 15 2012, 04:38 PM
Post #157

BMX Coach
Group Icon

BTW, I agree with what s4lnj said in his last post....

I am curious though why he has a duffle bags (plural) full of twinkies though?

In all serious, it does come down to this:
- what are your specific goals?
- do you have an action plan to help you accomplish your goals?

It can get complicated, but start with that...it's the initiation to getting results.

+Quote Post
CWracer
post Feb 16 2012, 09:54 PM
Post #158

A Pro

Member No.: 22,516

[quote name='Big Bird' date='Feb 15 2012, 04:31 PM' post='1157220']
Each one of those would progressively take on more serious training. So using the DVD and bands, yes, it will improve your overall fitness, and is probably more than 90% of 40 year olds are doing - so I applaud you.

What is your next step(s)?
[/quote]

Well, that's encouraging. My main goal is getting and staying in shape. I used to weigh close to 300 lbs. I worked and made it down to the 220's and am now in the 230's. I recently gained 5 pounds, which had me a little upset. I'm *hoping* is muscle gained from working out. My goal weight is 200lbs, and these last 30 odd pounds are the most difficult. That's my first goal.

My second goal is to get faster starts, so I'm in no danger of being pinched at the first obstacle. I want to be to the first obstacle before anyone else. I have a decent snap, but I think I have lacked power to get going. That's what I'm hoping to accomplish with my bands. I don't know if that will do it, or if I'm training enough to have much of an affect. I trained last night with the Turbulence DVD and my bands and worked it pretty hard. I just don't know if doing that 2x a week is going to be enough.

I guess I just want to know that my work is accomplishing something.

+Quote Post
BS
post Feb 17 2012, 12:09 PM
Post #159

The other CA10

Member No.: 3,545

Loved s4lnj's last post. I can remember being on a camping trip with my wife and kids and throwing my daughter over my shoulders and doing good mornings with her just to get a workout in while on vacation. Pushing the truck, etc. Where there's a will there's a way.

+Quote Post
benbmx47
post Feb 17 2012, 02:46 PM
Post #160

Novice

Member No.: 34,683

I'm sure bird will agree if you only have limted time and resources its all about quality not qauntity so the question of am I doing enough should be am I giving it my all!

+Quote Post

36 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2014 - 11:28 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees