Reply to this topicStart new topic
Retailer’s Vintage BMX Collection Stolen, News from Bike Retailer
alano
post Nov 28 2011, 04:22 AM
Post #1

A Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 53

WAUKEGAN, IL (BRAIN)—The owners of Midwest Bicycles & Billiards are asking cyclists, collectors and retailers to be on the lookout for a number of vintage BMX bikes and parts stolen in a break-in at the Waukegan, Illinois, shop this month.

On the night of Nov. 9, one or more thieves pried open Midwest’s back door and erected a 12-foot-high privacy fence to conceal their activity, said Dion Markodonis, who runs the shop with his father, Von. Only BMX bikes and parts from the late 1970s and early ’80s—no new bikes—were taken.

Markodonis said he and his father had collected the items since they began planning to open Midwest in 1979. An estimated $25,000 to $30,000 in bikes was taken. The loss in parts is more difficult to quantify. “It’s been hard figuring out what all we had. We’ve been hoarding this stuff since 1979,” Markodonis said, adding that the thief or thieves probably took “enough parts to build about 25 more bikes, and most of them were rare. It’s a pretty serious hit to us.” He estimates the parts loss at upwards of $20,000.

More here: http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/newsDetail/6205.html
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
oldschoolrider88
post Dec 9 2011, 10:11 AM
Post #2

AA Pro

Member No.: 4,608

QUOTE (alano @ Nov 28 2011, 11:22 AM) *
WAUKEGAN, IL (BRAIN)—The owners of Midwest Bicycles & Billiards are asking cyclists, collectors and retailers to be on the lookout for a number of vintage BMX bikes and parts stolen in a break-in at the Waukegan, Illinois, shop this month.

On the night of Nov. 9, one or more thieves pried open Midwest’s back door and erected a 12-foot-high privacy fence to conceal their activity, said Dion Markodonis, who runs the shop with his father, Von. Only BMX bikes and parts from the late 1970s and early ’80s—no new bikes—were taken.

Markodonis said he and his father had collected the items since they began planning to open Midwest in 1979. An estimated $25,000 to $30,000 in bikes was taken. The loss in parts is more difficult to quantify. “It’s been hard figuring out what all we had. We’ve been hoarding this stuff since 1979,” Markodonis said, adding that the thief or thieves probably took “enough parts to build about 25 more bikes, and most of them were rare. It’s a pretty serious hit to us.” He estimates the parts loss at upwards of $20,000.

More here: http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/newsDetail/6205.html

what f*@$ing scum...midwest bikes, dion and von are good people...ill keep my eyes peeled.

+Quote Post
HurricaneHenry
post Dec 11 2011, 02:50 PM
Post #3

AA Pro
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 7,168

That is sad to hear. Hopefully the items will resurface and returned to the owners. It would be helpful if we had a better description of what was taken. The collective "scour power" of the vbmx community would surely find the stuff, when and if it ever hit the market.

+Quote Post
cheez
post Dec 12 2011, 01:41 PM
Post #4

Master of disasters

Member No.: 3,135

We’ve been hoarding this stuff since 1979,” Markodonis said

Wow probably had more stuff than Jeff, but since 79 I would have thought it would be worth more than 30K. Any ideas what we are looking for, specifically that is, I read that it was 70s and 80s but didn't they keep any records for insurance? Even pics would help

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Jan 4 2012, 11:20 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,424

I know it's a long shot but I came across this on another forum.
"Louisville area sold 19 BMX bikes"
http://Happy Internet of joy and wonder!/forums/viewtopic.php?id=386096
http://louisville.craigslist.org/bik/2780290509.html

+Quote Post
wanski
post Apr 26 2012, 05:28 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 32,116

So, any new developments on this?

+Quote Post
Mr. Smith
post May 9 2012, 07:30 AM
Post #7

AA Pro
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 6,379

From what I've been researching there is a lot of gang activity in this area.

Usually if this was done by an unsavory in the community someone would heard something.

Loose lips sink ships ...

But people who know gang violence don't speak out or they float down the river...face down.

Sincerely sorry for Dion and his father but since this I allow NO one at my place.

Bought an alarm system and reinforced all the doors.

Almost bought a Tommy gun yesterday but the seller backed out.

He must have known it was worth money when I told him I'll go get the cash now !

Rob

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2014 - 10:03 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees