Reply to this topicStart new topic
wondering -- why race the Grands?
backmarker
post Nov 21 2011, 02:52 PM
Post #1

Intermediate

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,765

Was trying to think of a reason for racing the Grands this year -- can think of lots of reasons not to, like

Haven't rode since Labor Day weekend. Here in the Midwest and probably the East as well, tracks have been shutdown for well over a month. Hard to stay tuned for racing when no outdoor tracks are open. Yea, I know, there are some indoor tracks within a few hours drive but these hardly serve to keep a racer tuned for such a big race as the Grands. Makes it difficult to race and compete against others who have been outdoors racing the past few months.

The only practice day is Thanksgiving day, and it only amounts to a few laps at that. Hard to imagine spending such a holiday at a Denny's, or other equally poor substitute to thanksgiving at home.

Transfer system means I would probably end up racing only two times, being in an older cruiser class. There's a lot of money and time (drive from Indy to Tulsa at least 10 hours) for a couple of laps.

With all the motos the ABA runs through, tracks are usually lame. They have to be, to get through teh numbers.

It's held indoors in a rodeo arena, which usually means restrictions on riding bikes in the area, nasal issues from breathing the dust over teh event days, and others i can't be arsed to write on about. It's nothing like having an event of such magnitude in an open state park in beautiful park setting with little restrictions on riding around while in wait for the few motos of racing.

Of course, I'm only addressing the racing aspects. The social aspects of the event could be enough to bring one across.

-- backmarker

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
g-mo
post Nov 21 2011, 02:58 PM
Post #2

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: BMX Industry
Member No.: 2,648

This post is absolutely hilarious. The war is over bro. Please stay in Indy. We don't want you ruining our fun.......LOL.

This post has been edited by g-mo: Nov 21 2011, 02:58 PM

+Quote Post
mackdaddy
post Nov 21 2011, 03:02 PM
Post #3

A Pro

Member No.: 1,548

ditto on what g-mo said!

+Quote Post
fastjimmy412
post Nov 21 2011, 03:08 PM
Post #4

A Pro

Member No.: 20,424

Boy those are some lame excuses. Enjoy your family picnic, we are going to the show. I am driving 17 hours and we will have a great time as always.

+Quote Post
SirMarco
post Nov 21 2011, 03:35 PM
Post #5

Intermediate

Member No.: 32,647

QUOTE (backmarker @ Nov 21 2011, 02:52 PM) *
Was trying to think of a reason for racing the Grands this year -- can think of lots of reasons not to, like

Haven't rode since Labor Day weekend. Here in the Midwest and probably the East as well, tracks have been shutdown for well over a month. Hard to stay tuned for racing when no outdoor tracks are open. Yea, I know, there are some indoor tracks within a few hours drive but these hardly serve to keep a racer tuned for such a big race as the Grands. Makes it difficult to race and compete against others who have been outdoors racing the past few months.
€ Suck it up and get to some of these indoor track, the rest of us do. I haven't raced much at all this season but indoor season brings out people from the wood works. I have some of the best races all season at this time.

The only practice day is Thanksgiving day, and it only amounts to a few laps at that. Hard to imagine spending such a holiday at a Denny's, or other equally poor substitute to thanksgiving at home.
€ You will get more then enough practice in the 2 that you are given to get you ready for the race. I can that I have never not had enough practice at Grands.

Transfer system means I would probably end up racing only two times, being in an older cruiser class. There's a lot of money and time (drive from Indy to Tulsa at least 10 hours) for a couple of laps.
€ They run a 3 round system at Grands. Only race of the year like this. You will race both days.

With all the motos the ABA runs through, tracks are usually lame. They have to be, to get through teh numbers.
€ Grands is always the best track of the year. It's always big and fun to ride. It's never ever a let down. You have more then one way to get through the entire track. They build it like this to make it interesting. You have your big jumps for the rampers and tech sections for your riders who excel in that. It really makes for great racing.

It's held indoors in a rodeo arena, which usually means restrictions on riding bikes in the area, nasal issues from breathing the dust over teh event days, and others i can't be arsed to write on about. It's nothing like having an event of such magnitude in an open state park in beautiful park setting with little restrictions on riding around while in wait for the few motos of racing.
€ Google map the arena then check out its website. They hold dirt oval track racing for cars inside and monster trucks. It's the biggest arena I have ever raced in.

Of course, I'm only addressing the racing aspects. The social aspects of the event could be enough to bring one across.

-- backmarker
-SirMarco in RED

This post has been edited by SirMarco: Nov 21 2011, 03:36 PM

+Quote Post
Elvis
post Nov 21 2011, 03:55 PM
Post #6

Worst moderator ever

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 395

QUOTE (g-mo @ Nov 21 2011, 02:58 PM) *
This post is absolutely hilarious. The war is over bro. Please stay in Indy. We don't want you ruining our fun.......LOL.

This

Also: Say, you really are a backmarker, aren't you?

Me, I'm going to be batter-dipped and deep-fried in BMX for four days right here before winter puts its move on all the good fun (and bunky, it's a three lap transfer); I'll get to see some pros duke it out; see some old friends, make some new ones, get enough gossip to provide post fodder for months to come ... I'm seeing nothing but fun.

But then I'm a positive guy.

+Quote Post
g-mo
post Nov 21 2011, 03:58 PM
Post #7

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: BMX Industry
Member No.: 2,648

You really wanna get a good laugh... go read this. What happened since then? You had so much fire.....LMAO.

+Quote Post
sxebmx
post Nov 21 2011, 04:03 PM
Post #8

A Pro

Member No.: 16,466

We've had a sweet Indian summer in New York. Rode trails over the weekend.

+Quote Post
HRPdesigns
post Nov 21 2011, 04:40 PM
Post #9

VBMX Hall Of Famer
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 4,211

wondering -- why race the Grands?

Because it's "The Grands"! Until I went to my first one I did not really understand what that meant.

The Greatest BMX Race on Earth. Just attending the race is worth the cost of getting there, getting to race it is a bonus.

+Quote Post
hardees86
post Nov 21 2011, 04:59 PM
Post #10

Intermediate

Member No.: 18,722

are the grands going to be in august or ? in 2012 seeing there are no nbl grands? it would be so much nicer to drive 14 hours in aug then in nov here in wi we have 6" of snow on the ground

This post has been edited by hardees86: Nov 21 2011, 04:59 PM

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 03:41 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees