IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Looking for constructive ways to save a track...
Brandon002
post Nov 19 2011, 12:44 PM
Post #1

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,718

So our local track was the worst I've ever seen it last year. Moto count dropped to where the track was getting around 9-10 motos on Saturdays (less then half of the previous year). Over the winter last year the powers that be decided to devote all time and donated money/materials to building a pro section. We tried to point out that a pro section should come second to getting the rest of the track ready, but that fell on deaf ears. So the pro section was erected, while the rest of the track remained in horrible condition. Every weekend gate practice was delayed while the track people worked on the track (schedule said 1030 gate practice, people showed up and had to way an hour to an hour and half some days) while the track was patched. Eventually (end of the season) they tore the pro jump out.

One of the riders that seriously loves the track took time to draw up surveys for riders to complete and submit to the track in regards to track changes, policy changes, work days etc. Riders completed these and it looks like all was on an upswing. Until now.

After an online discussion between a few riders and the track operator and his volunteers they are still convinced that no mistakes were made last season and there were no errors to learn from. We tried to offer ideas, solutions and means to get moto count back up to where it was and we were basically told that we didn't know what we were talking about and to "deal with it, or go ride elsewhere". It even boiled down to me being personally attacked by one of the track volunteers who stated "you don't even race, do you have a job, you don't do anything at the track". Well I guess doing nothing involves me sitting out on a hot jump or turn all day snapping pictures, uploading them to the internet and not asking for a thing in return. I also don't race or work because I have a doctor telling me I can't do either until I have surgery on my neck.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get through to track operators before 9 moto saturdays turn to 3 moto saturdays which eventually turn in to no local track at all? We've tried talking, we made surveys for riders to complete, we've had online discussions and it all went in to the wind as a complete waste of time.

Now I know that running a track can be thankless and seriously hard work, so props to people that take on the challenge and deal with everything that comes along with it. Wouldn't it be smart to listen to your rider base? The ones that make or break the track? The ones that pay to race, purchase concessions, volunteer their time? I guess there's really no way to make anyone listen, I'm just grasping at straws here because we feel we have tried every avenue possible.

Now I was told that over the summer the ABA wasn't even aware this track was racing at one point because points and payment hadn't been received in almost two months. (this is hearsay of course as someone told me they talked to an ABA official).. another kid showed up to our state race a month after renewing his membership at this track as well and was told his membership was expired.

It just seems that every aspect of this track is falling to pieces and we, as riders and long time supporters of the track are trying to find a way to save it and keep it around. Some of us have been racing this track off and on for over 20 years.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NOClips
post Nov 19 2011, 11:36 PM
Post #2

Intermediate

Member No.: 6,357

...From The Hill BMX website.....[size="4"][/size]

"First off I would like to Thank everyone and anyone who supported The Hill for 2011. "

Chuck Groh

"Ok lets try this again and please lets stay on topic, no need to bash anyone or complain about what happened in 2011, this thread we want to talk about ideas of slight changes we will be making to the track and we will also need volunteers to make the changes we all want."

1. The Step up out of the gate has been made mellow at the top peak from how we had it.
Question: How did you the riders like the front side of the step up ?

2. Rhythem section will be roto tilled in between and all the rollers will be about two and half feet tall (National Standard). no big changes.

3. We did some changes to the last straight.
Question: Do you the riders feel we should make more improvements or should we leave it as it is ?

These are some starting questions if you have any you want to ask add them, remember lets work together and also think about all the types of riders young and old, beginner to the most advance.

+Quote Post
NOClips
post Nov 20 2011, 02:28 AM
Post #3

Intermediate

From The HILL BMX TO a couple days ago posted on The HILL BMX website:

"The STEP UP is not being changed because its been fixed already, the speed you talk about is still there I know I raced it. the track will be smoothed and raked, no need for DIRT in the rhythm section just needs to be roto tilled and shaped. Marco if you want to help and contact some rental companys and ask please do, its easier said then done and NO the city isnt going help like they have for the last 20 yrs. For next years program rules will be enforced - "

1. "No one will get to practice on the track on race days with out paying first. NO ONE !"

2. "No one will be starting at half track on race days. NO ONE !"

3. "No one will be walking up the starting hill to the gate on race days. NO ONE !"

4. "30 ft and last straight rule will be enforced like this season."

5. "Everyone will go to the chutes and not SIT behind the gate."

6. "Everyone will be warned one time the next time will be Suspended for 30 days."

"Next season I am not taking any crap from ANYONE."

CHUCK

+Quote Post
DJBBMX
post Nov 20 2011, 06:54 PM
Post #4

A Pro

Member No.: 6,967

You can’t save it.

To make the track good you need money. The money comes from riders. No one wants to race. They want to hang out with their friends smoking weed and drinking beer riding street where there are no parental supervision and no one can be a looser.

Racing will soon die an uneventful death. No one will notes cuz no one cares.

END

+Quote Post
Brandon002
post Nov 20 2011, 09:07 PM
Post #5

VBMX Hall Of Famer

That's what I'm talking about Larry... The step up isn't being changed, then he asks for input on it. I don't get it. You offer input, they shoot it down and then they ask for input. I guess it's a lost cause at this point.

+Quote Post
g-mo
post Nov 20 2011, 09:19 PM
Post #6

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: BMX Industry
Member No.: 2,648

Stop going and hope somone else gets the keys eventually.

+Quote Post
NOClips
post Nov 20 2011, 09:37 PM
Post #7

Intermediate

Maybe this needs to be moved where there is more visibility...There will be "keyboard racers" adding no value, but there may be a few good ideas with examples out there...

Paul turning the passion of BMX and the track layout/management issue into a personal attack was something I don't even have words for...Don't let it get to you...

I summed up this issue as the "Battered Wife Syndrome"...They ask for help, you give input, no one listens and they do what they want, making it worse, riders complain, The Hill flips out, then after they cool down, they ask for help, you give input, no one listens and they do what they want, making it worse, riders complain, The Hill flips out, then after they cool down, they ask for help, you give input, no one listens and they do what they want, making it worse, riders complain, The Hill flips out, then after they cool down, they ask for help, you give input, no one listens and they do what they want, making it worse, riders complain, The Hill flips out, then after they cool down, they ask for help...

I got caught in that trick bag twice last season...I'm completely done with input and help... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

+Quote Post
Brandon002
post Nov 20 2011, 11:30 PM
Post #8

VBMX Hall Of Famer

QUOTE (g-mo @ Nov 20 2011, 09:19 PM) *
Stop going and hope somone else gets the keys eventually.

I don't plan on going back until things change George. I'm just hoping other riders will start to feel the same way, it's to the point that boycotting the track is going to be the only way to get through to a group that flat out will not listen. I mean, what do the guys that race the track regularly know? Those corner marshals, hot dog flippers and gate runners know everything there is to know about building a track.

+Quote Post
SirMarco
post Nov 22 2011, 12:01 PM
Post #9

Intermediate

Member No.: 32,647

Sad to say in this case if people stop going, the track will shut down. There really is no other option in this case. It sucks but that is the fact.
As stated above, people need to work hand in hand with each other. Non-riders who just pick up a shovel and help need to start listening to the ones who do ride the track. When it comes down to it, those are the ones who bring in the money to keep the track alive. At the same time riders need to pick up a shovel and work side by side with the non-riders, including myself.
The track should not be run under a dictatorship. All options should be talked about and as a group decided what would be best, not just one person saying it's this way or no way.

+Quote Post
ILBMX
post Nov 22 2011, 04:39 PM
Post #10

Expert

Group: Track Management
Member No.: 20,073

We had riders show up and work on the track in 2011. They also raced the track in 2011. They did the work. Call them out..but you won't.

We can't have a situation where if someones idea isn't taken, then its ok to go flame it up on the internet.

Give Chuck a break he's a great guy. I would have never had to work at the track if you guys had stuck by him. That way my non_riding butt could have just stayed on the sidelines.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 01:06 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees