BMX Pros speak out, Connor, Sam, Elise, Big Daddy and Holmes interviewed
klakke
post Nov 16 2011, 07:07 PM
Post #31

A Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,425

QUOTE (NMKY @ Nov 16 2011, 11:47 AM) *
The block format is popular in Europe (France especially) and I'm sure big US races could handle it. We tried it in England and the gap between motos wasn't long enough. Folks were puking behind the start hill and all kinds.

Big races? Yes, absolutely. Smaller races? Not so much.

In Denmark we have around 40 motos at the nationals, which gives you about a 25min break between each moto which is perfect. We dont have blocks, but because its only 25mins between each moto it works the same way as the block system.

The way of doing blocks at the Euro Rounds is clearly working super well and is without discussion the best way to run races. When I started to watch US races online some years ago, I was kind of shocked to see how long people had to wait between each moto. I really dont understand why the ABA hasnt realised that their system sucks. I dont know who it benefits? it sucks for the riders and the spectators.

QUOTE (tsmith9233 @ Nov 16 2011, 01:37 PM) *
It seems weird to me that if none of the people interviewed plan to touch SX after the Olympics, why are the Olympics on a SX track?? should it not be a true representation of the sport? personally the only SX thing I have watched in the past couple years was Youtube of guys attempting the box jump... When Stumpy said he would not pursue an Olympic dream because the tracks were too sketchy, that sealed it for me...

My impression from listening to quit a few interviews and podcasts;

The pros like SX races, but they dont like the amount of money and time they have to put into going to the races.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klakke
post Nov 16 2011, 07:14 PM
Post #32

A Pro

QUOTE (MikeCarruth @ Nov 16 2011, 10:32 AM) *
I think a rider "liaison" is a solid idea--someone Elites can go to, and then that person takes all the questions and issues of the membership to the sanction, and reports back via a members-only website. That streamlines things for the sanction, and for the riders. But can someone be expected to do that job for free? They shouldn't be, because if they are to do the job right, they need to afford it the proper amount of time. So then we're at the question: "could you get 200 Elites to pay $10 per month for the privilege? $7? $5?" I doubt it.

No I also doubt that you get everyone to pay 10bucks per month.

With the technology we have these days, it wouldnt be hard for the pros to get some proper communication going on between themselves. I mean somebody could just do something as simple as making a facebook group or spend 10bucks on buying a private forum. And then invite all the SX and/or ABA pros to join.

The pros could then discuss BMX matters just as we do here on vintage, appoint a spokesman and have this guy communicate with the UCI.

With todays technology, theres no excuse in my eyes

+Quote Post
CWracer
post Nov 16 2011, 10:18 PM
Post #33

A Pro

Member No.: 22,516

QUOTE (CowhieDesigns @ Nov 14 2011, 07:47 PM) *
Solution: TIME BLOCKS

That's an intriguing idea. How does it work?

+Quote Post
CowhieDesigns
post Nov 17 2011, 12:53 AM
Post #34

A Pro

Member No.: 7,474

QUOTE (CWracer @ Nov 17 2011, 04:18 AM) *
That's an intriguing idea. How does it work?

Example: 10-15 experts race all motos, quarters, semis, and mains in a 2 hour block. Do the same with all the "blocks" and have the older experts, then Pros race in the evening with intermission entertainment: dirt jumping, vert, street.

There really isn't any reason to run all the proficiencies consecutively either.
This may not be optimum, but you get the idea and as noted above it would probably apply to bigger races. I'm sure the times for each block could be adjusted depending on rider count.

Can someone explain the system in Europe?

+Quote Post
Brett Middaugh
post Nov 17 2011, 06:38 AM
Post #35

AA Pro

Member No.: 3,777

Do you mean have a freestyle contest with racing as intermission? Just pointing out an unfortunate reality in the US.

+Quote Post
dperalta
post Nov 17 2011, 08:20 AM
Post #36

Intermediate

Member No.: 17,604

I really like the idea of time blocks. I could never get family to come watch the kids at big races. They would stick around for one moto, get bored, then leave. For an outsider it is very difficult to follow.

David

+Quote Post
CowhieDesigns
post Nov 17 2011, 09:43 AM
Post #37

A Pro

Member No.: 7,474

QUOTE (Brett Middaugh @ Nov 17 2011, 12:38 PM) *
Do you mean have a freestyle contest with racing as intermission? Just pointing out an unfortunate reality in the US.

lol

Well if you cant beat 'em....
Anyway, I was there (as were a lot of cruiser racers who found the sport again) during the second coming of BMX in the late '90s when the Blue Falcon, Lyons, and others were hitting up the jumping contest between pro motos. There was a lot more going on at Nationals in those days. 40-50 AAs was common place and quarters for the 31-35 cruiser class.

+Quote Post
Brett Middaugh
post Nov 17 2011, 10:00 AM
Post #38

AA Pro

Member No.: 3,777

LOL,
I don't think the pro's need to superx to show their skills.

All they need is a fast track with safe jumps. If you want to make the unknowing public understand what they are doing and how far they are jumping, just put the camera angle down low. Tracks also need to built to keep the pack together.
Also, lose the clips. (This is not a clip hater thing, I don't care what racers do) Why lose the clips? For more aggressive corner moves. High lows that require a foot out, elbow, pass, WTF ARE YOU DOING?, get on the gas moment. More exciting than berm freight trains.

Realistically though, what do I know? I was a crappy local level expert and cruiser rider who just enjoyed watching these guys back in my time.
Unfortunately, and I hate to say this, I still love to watch the NS freestyle pros, even though I don't know who most of them are, but I just can't watch racing as it doesn't have the same thing going for it that it used to. I still don't know why a group of pro racers don't just get their game on and do a race or series for themselves. Get Stiles to film it, go to local tracks and have a summer, friday night pro tour, get monster to sponsor it, sell it, sell yourselves, sell your ability.

You only get a decade at the elite level if you are lucky...

All I got from the interview was basically...tech and speed and track design has changed but the where the pros matter in BMX racing...is sort of the same. Drastic bummer.

Hey basketball may not be happening this winter, pitch BMX racing to the networks, lol.

+Quote Post
thebondtrader55
post Nov 17 2011, 12:59 PM
Post #39

AA Pro

Member No.: 28,127

QUOTE (Brett Middaugh @ Nov 17 2011, 10:00 AM) *
LOL,
I don't think the pro's need to superx to show their skills.

All they need is a fast track with safe jumps. If you want to make the unknowing public understand what they are doing and how far they are jumping, just put the camera angle down low. Tracks also need to built to keep the pack together.
Also, lose the clips. (This is not a clip hater thing, I don't care what racers do) Why lose the clips? For more aggressive corner moves. High lows that require a foot out, elbow, pass, WTF ARE YOU DOING?, get on the gas moment. More exciting than berm freight trains.

Realistically though, what do I know? I was a crappy local level expert and cruiser rider who just enjoyed watching these guys back in my time.
Unfortunately, and I hate to say this, I still love to watch the NS freestyle pros, even though I don't know who most of them are, but I just can't watch racing as it doesn't have the same thing going for it that it used to. I still don't know why a group of pro racers don't just get their game on and do a race or series for themselves. Get Stiles to film it, go to local tracks and have a summer, friday night pro tour, get monster to sponsor it, sell it, sell yourselves, sell your ability.

You only get a decade at the elite level if you are lucky...

All I got from the interview was basically...tech and speed and track design has changed but the where the pros matter in BMX racing...is sort of the same. Drastic bummer.

Hey basketball may not be happening this winter, pitch BMX racing to the networks, lol.

" I still don't know why a group of Pro racers don't just get their game on and do a race or series for themselves."

Or anyone else for that matter.

Good stuff.

+Quote Post
klakke
post Nov 17 2011, 06:53 PM
Post #40

A Pro

QUOTE (CowhieDesigns @ Nov 17 2011, 12:53 AM) *
Example: 10-15 experts race all motos, quarters, semis, and mains in a 2 hour block. Do the same with all the "blocks" and have the older experts, then Pros race in the evening with intermission entertainment: dirt jumping, vert, street.

There really isn't any reason to run all the proficiencies consecutively either.
This may not be optimum, but you get the idea and as noted above it would probably apply to bigger races. I'm sure the times for each block could be adjusted depending on rider count.

Can someone explain the system in Europe?

Here is a screenshot of the schedule at the Euro round in Valkenswaard. Basically;

- block 1; 5-13years and cruisers
- block 2; 13+
- block 3; elite and junior

(IMG:http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/9760/timeah.png)

Normally theres about 30 motos in the elite & junoir block, which means that the motos is 1 hour of action nonstop! How great does that sound!!!?? thats how it is at euro rounds and I love it!

I think any wise sanction should try to have riders on the track all the time. I mean; there might be 5 minutes breaks now and then, but if we want to have BMX races that can attract outside people, our girlfriends, mothers etc. we need to keep people entertained all the time.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 11:53 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees