BMX Pros speak out, Connor, Sam, Elise, Big Daddy and Holmes interviewed
CowhieDesigns
post Nov 15 2011, 11:47 AM
Post #16

A Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,474

QUOTE (MikeCarruth @ Nov 14 2011, 08:38 PM) *
cement tracks were big on people's minds back then...we address "tracks" in part II, but in today's context).

Other than that, the questions asked in the story were much the same as in 1982
http://bmxurl.com/bmxatan00

Excellent post! I remember that article and always enjoyed reading about the pros back then.

Greg Hill had an interesting comment about the tracks during that time stating that they were way too easy and required zero skill. Someone else, maybe Kevin or Brent, said more jumps...way more jumps were needed.

These guys had some great incite to the sport on many different levels. Business, future, representation, and it's important to remember how young they were at the time, teens and early twenties! They defined and portrayed what "Pro" meant.

Thanks again for sharing.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MikeCarruth
post Nov 15 2011, 01:31 PM
Post #17

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 6,767

Just posted both parts on BMXNEWS.COM. Some people had difficulty with the player on BMXA, so until I get that worked out, you can listen on BMXNEWS.

LISTEN TO PART II NOW

The segment turned out great...anxious to hear your comments.

Best,

M

+Quote Post
okibono
post Nov 15 2011, 01:39 PM
Post #18

A Pro

Member No.: 12,253

mike, I think both files are the first podcast...when I click on the 2nd one, I get the first gig...

+Quote Post
MikeCarruth
post Nov 15 2011, 01:44 PM
Post #19

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 6,767

QUOTE (okibono @ Nov 15 2011, 01:39 PM) *
mike, I think both files are the first podcast...when I click on the 2nd one, I get the first gig...

Oops. Yes...got that fixed now.

Thanks for the heads up.

M

+Quote Post
Bikemonkeys
post Nov 15 2011, 02:24 PM
Post #20

Vet Pro

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 2,491

Great Job!!!

+Quote Post
Mike Fields
post Nov 15 2011, 02:27 PM
Post #21

AA Pro

Member No.: 5,391

That was enjoyable and enlightening.

I think this format rocks and gives fans and interested parties a chance to learn more of what goes on in the minds of the athletes, their opinions and concerns. It is an opportunity to provide meaningful input that isn't pissy stuff on boards or rushed, surface conversations in the pits between laps.

I like the mix of folks with the two "old bulls" and the three "young bulls", although for 19 and 20 year olds, they're a mature group.

This in conjunction with the great stuff Dale Holmes is doing on his podcasts gives a real insider's look at the sport and its athletes. And Dale & his posse are always good for a laugh.

The biggest thing I come away from this with is what does SX racing look like post-London. If the purses don't go up and the tracks meet with the rider's likes, it might be a much smaller showing from 2013 to 2015. Classic Business 101: a customer's best and most effective complaint is a boycott of the product or service.

This post has been edited by Mike Fields: Nov 15 2011, 02:28 PM

+Quote Post
mxmug
post Nov 15 2011, 03:14 PM
Post #22

Inventor of the Z Jump

Member No.: 17,989

The biggest thing I come away from this with is what does SX racing look like post-London. If the purses don't go up and the tracks meet with the rider's likes, it might be a much smaller showing from 2013 to 2015. Classic Business 101: a customer's best and most effective complaint is a boycott of the product or service.

Well said

+Quote Post
CWracer
post Nov 15 2011, 10:13 PM
Post #23

A Pro

Member No.: 22,516

Great idea, Mike. I like the 'then and now' concept. The riders had some really cool things to say.

+Quote Post
thebondtrader55
post Nov 15 2011, 11:09 PM
Post #24

AA Pro

Member No.: 28,127

QUOTE (Mike Fields @ Nov 15 2011, 02:27 PM) *
That was enjoyable and enlightening.

I think this format rocks and gives fans and interested parties a chance to learn more of what goes on in the minds of the athletes, their opinions and concerns. It is an opportunity to provide meaningful input that isn't pissy stuff on boards or rushed, surface conversations in the pits between laps.

I like the mix of folks with the two "old bulls" and the three "young bulls", although for 19 and 20 year olds, they're a mature group.

This in conjunction with the great stuff Dale Holmes is doing on his podcasts gives a real insider's look at the sport and its athletes. And Dale & his posse are always good for a laugh.

Yes, in more ways than one.

+Quote Post
reedhamilton
post Nov 15 2011, 11:42 PM
Post #25

A Pro
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 27,423

Thank you Mike for this panel discussion, giving us some unique insight into the thoughts of the pro's and former pro's.

The one thing that really stood out to me is that these are all very intelligent individuals. They expressed themselves very well and in a diplomatic way. Their passion for the sport is obvious, and clearly they have put a lot of thought into what can be done to improve the sport at the elite level. I hope that they are successful in finding someone to represent them and speak in a collective voice regarding the needs of the elite racers.

As an old schooler myself it was really cool to hear someone from my era, Eric Rupe, giving a historical perspective to the discussion. Thank you for participating in this podcast, Eric.

The topic of discussion I liked the most was the one about "sprint to the finish." Or as some panelists called it, "BMX racing needs more pedaling!" I personally love the big, burly SX tracks that don't require much pedaling. The technical aspect of linking up the jumps is great for TV, and I wouldn't want to take that away.

But you can add some pedaling in a much-needed area, and that is the finish line straight. As a spectator/TV viewer I would love to see the racers exit the final turn with zero track features/obstacles ahead of them on the final straight. Then EVERYBODY, first through eighth, pedals from the final turn until they cross the finish line. Nobody's butt touches their seat until after the finish line. That was the way I raced BITD, even if I was in last place.

You would see a lot more photo finishes, more come-from-behind moves, and the product that is elite racing looks a lot more professional when nobody quits (pedaling) until they have crossed the finish line. And the better your product, the better chance you have of selling it to a sponsor.

Can't wait for the next "Then and Now" podcast.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2014 - 06:07 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees