Reply to this topicStart new topic
Grands Tips
bmxma156
post Nov 10 2011, 08:35 AM
Post #1

Intermediate

Group: Members
Member No.: 31,359

We have lots of riders from our track going to Grands for the first time!!! I am wanting to post a list of tips. I have the basics: Bike lock, presign, saline nasal spray... but what else! Help me out please!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cruisin
post Nov 10 2011, 08:47 AM
Post #2

Novice

Member No.: 4,532

Sorry can't help much we have never been either sounds like there will be a lot of first timers this year. I have a specific question is there RV parking there? I cant seem to find any informaiton for campers.

+Quote Post
bmxma156
post Nov 10 2011, 08:52 AM
Post #3

Intermediate

Member No.: 31,359

Yes... the have RV camping at the Expo Center. Full hook ups! $35/night! the ABA flyer says $25 but all the families including mine were told ABA is wrong and its $35. Still... $35 is much better than paying for hotel!

+Quote Post
OnMyLevEl37
post Nov 10 2011, 08:58 AM
Post #4

Novice

Member No.: 33,675

QUOTE (Cruisin @ Nov 10 2011, 09:47 AM) *
Sorry can't help much we have never been either sounds like there will be a lot of first timers this year. I have a specific question is there RV parking there? I cant seem to find any informaiton for campers.

Yes, every year I see a section in the parking lot for all the RV's.

And just one more tip incase you guys don't already know. You don't want to miss the Saturday night show, NAG5/pro spectacular. Some really good racing and the pro titles will be decided

+Quote Post
Bikemonkeys
post Nov 10 2011, 09:01 AM
Post #5

Vet Pro

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 2,491

Relax, they have lots of security officers and they will not let a "little" kid out the door without an adult. But your bike might be a different story.

+Quote Post
Elvis
post Nov 10 2011, 09:18 AM
Post #6

Worst moderator ever

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 395

It's important to remind kids that in the excitement bikes disappear rather quickly, especially later in the weekend. "______ is watching my bike" can lead to problems as ____ is distracted in the excitement.

Also, don't lock a bike to a door, regardless of the door being locked/closed or not: Security will cut the lock. It sounds simple, but every year somebody's lock gets cut. I usually just lock up in the ABA lockup upstairs and forget about it.

Something soft to sit on, and something to entertain oneself over the course of a 1,000 moto day. A book, an MP3 player, and a chair so you can take a break from the bleachers are all good.

Sharpies so you can get autographs.

Cash so you can take advantage of the deals. Snacks because the snack bars don't make deals.

Saline spray, yes, keep a second bottle in the shower at the hotel to help sinus clearing. (Me, I'm a big fan of the Netti Pot, a big fan. Walgreens has a plastic one that's great for travel).

+Quote Post
SirMarco
post Nov 10 2011, 09:19 AM
Post #7

Intermediate

Member No.: 32,647

If at all possible, race as many classes as you can. There are so many motos at Grands. If you just race one class you are going to have so much down time. I know money is a huge factor but if you can race at least class and open.

+Quote Post
Gavved
post Nov 10 2011, 09:25 AM
Post #8

Intermediate

Member No.: 27,463

If at all possible show up Tuesday or Wednesday. Sand Springs (the local track) runs Monday, Tuesday, and a Double points race Wednesday before the grands.

+Quote Post
Bikemonkeys
post Nov 10 2011, 09:29 AM
Post #9

Vet Pro

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 2,491

Wear your race gear whenever you are on the track! The photograph types want to get great racing shots, I've heard that without leathers, you're awesome photo doesn't stand a chance at being run in the mags. All so, Jump during practice. If you see a guy with a camera shooting a table or double and you're thinking that mom and dad want to buy a shot of you, make it a good one.

+Quote Post
Mike Fields
post Nov 10 2011, 09:31 AM
Post #10

AA Pro

Member No.: 5,391

Google "Village Inn" restaurant. 5 minutes form the track and open 24 hours including Thanksgiving.

Get the heck out of the building, even if it is just a walk or drive. It can be helpful to return to your hotel as the scheule is so well run you won't miss a moto.

Dont stay in the stands the whole time. The din and relentless energy can drain you. It is a loooong weekend.

Bring your wifi devices as the ABA runs an intranet and you can get your motos, quarters and semis, etc. from the pits without having to go to the mob on the moto sheet wall.

Don't miss the night races. They are BMX rock shows. Great energy, great vibe and great racing.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2014 - 06:24 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees